Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #29
mulehead7
stubborn as a ...

Drives: '94 Trans Am
I had a time machine once but I got tired of getting there before I left!...?

mulehead7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #30
Moorepheus

Drives: 2013 Dodge Charge R/T Plus AWD
You grow tired of a car that does 0-60 under 6 seconds? WOW. Do you race your car every day at the track? I mean, please, I understand the want for power, but come on, unless your at the track, why endanger you and everyone around you by trying to get to 60 MPH after a red light as fast as you can!!!
Moorepheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #31
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badSS/RS View Post
No ifs, and's or but's about it, the SS is a very fast car. Comparing it to my 09 Vette, they both get there, but the Vette gets there quicker. I would have to say the biggest difference is from 70mph up where the Vette's lighter wieght and superior areodynamics make a bigger difference. The Vette's NPP(butterfly) exhaust gives you the sound of speed and the car is more...violent in its accelaration. Both cars are faster than any sane human needs them to be, but they are so much fun. I am getting older and just enjoy cruising now more with the occasional burst of speed here and there, but I cannot say that I am bored with either car. They are a blast.
since you described the feeling of the Vette in more words, could you also please describe the feeling of the Camaro? You used the words "violent" to describe the Corvette acceleration. What words would you use to describe the Camaros?

What I'm looking for in the Camaro is a feeling of "losing control" - that I need to withhold power to avoid losing control. I don't get that feeling with my current car. I have to floor it to feel the acceleration but I don't feel "out of control" and I don't feel that I have to restrain myself.

The thrill of a sports car is the wild and thrilling aspect of it, and what kind of thrill would it be if the car is within the limits of your ability, when you cannot push a car beyond your ability into that danger zone? The thrill of amusement rides is the feeling of no control in a sensation that feels dangerous.

Given you seem to describe the Vette in a thrilling way, is the Camaro "thrilling"?
Old 02-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #32
Snakestang65

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by esperman View Post
go buy a sport bike
Snakestang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #33
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Ya I'm on the sport bike bandwagon. Even better- get a drz400sm and go jump something. That'll give you your out-of-control moment. Good modern sportscars just don't really feel out of control unless it's raining.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #34
sen10l

No sports bikes. Let's just talk cars. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #35
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
Ya I'm on the sport bike bandwagon. Even better- get a drz400sm and go jump something. That'll give you your out-of-control moment.
nothing like breaking a few bones to get that "out-of-control" feeling.
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #36
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
sen10l, have you ever driven any type of these cars before? It's one thing to attempt to describe it... Have you driven a muscle car, supercar, euro sport car, etc?
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #37
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
OK, well as for cars- I haven't driven every hyper performance car on earth. I've driven a few Corvettes though and here's what I'll say about the Corvettes I've driven...they're pretty drama free unless you are trying to do something stupid. Sure it accelerates like a bat out of hell, but it doesn't feel out of control. On public roads you have to be going go-to-jail fast for a Corvette to wake up.

You need an old car without all the modern safety controls and engineering to feel out of control. And I'm glad you don't live near me .
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #38
gregus73

Drives: 2010 Blue Challenger R/T
I notice a big difference, compared to a 4.6l Mustang.
For the price and right now..whats on the market. the SS stock, going to be at the top of the market.
gregus73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #39
Roger Ramjet
Motor Head

Drives: CTS-V
Coming from a C5 Z06, a Roush supercharged Mustang GT, and a supercharged Mustang GT500, I have to say I was initially disappointed by the new Camaro SS performance. BUT, after a tune I am quite happy with the streetable power.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #40
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen10l View Post
What I'm looking for in the Camaro is a feeling of "losing control" - that I need to withhold power to avoid losing control.
stock you won't really have that with the camaro, however if you turn off all traction and stabilitrack and then take off from a dead stop you can definitely lose control as the rear wheels will spin and the back end on these cars has a tendency to step out a bit and you can get sideways. But if you are already moving and in second or first gear just punching it will not send the car out of control but it will accelerate hard. So you can get out of control if you turn all the nanny stuff off and don't drive properly. I drive around with traction control off but I almost never run around with all the controls off because if I am sideways at 50-60 MPH I would like the computer to make a correction for me, my pride would not be hurt.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #41
sen10l

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
sen10l, have you ever driven any type of these cars before? It's one thing to attempt to describe it... Have you driven a muscle car, supercar, euro sport car, etc?
no. I just don't want the feeling to die like it did with my current car. I haven't reached the acceleration threshold where I'm sitting on the line between control and out-of-control so I don't know what that's like. I'm hoping to glean the experiences of people who have reached that point or crossed that line.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #42
sen10l

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInSoCal View Post
stock you won't really have that with the camaro, however if you turn off all traction and stabilitrack and then take off from a dead stop you can definitely lose control as the rear wheels will spin and the back end on these cars has a tendency to step out a bit and you can get sideways. But if you are already moving and in second or first gear just punching it will not send the car out of control but it will accelerate hard. So you can get out of control if you turn all the nanny stuff off and don't drive properly. I drive around with traction control off but I almost never run around with all the controls off because if I am sideways at 50-60 MPH I would like the computer to make a correction for me, my pride would not be hurt.
thanks - that's a pretty good description of what I'm trying to understand. Others have compared with Corvettes and supercharged Mustangs - thanks for that comparison too!

When I say "out of control" here are some things to define what I mean:
1) when accelerating from stop, I have to accelerate properly otherwise I will lose traction (burn rubber). In other words: I need to exercise control. (With my current car, I can floor it without burning rubber :-( )

2) when coasting at 100km/h and trying to overtake someone, I can do so quickly without flooring it because when I floor it I would quickly reach a speed that's dangerous. In other words, when overtaking I have to exercise restrain (control) on the pedal otherwise I will reach a speed that's too fast.
(Right now with my current car, even if I floor it I never reach an uncomfortably high speed; in fact I need to floor it to overtake someone in a "fun" manner.)

Too fast = 180km/hr or more (my comfort threshold). I think at that speed (even temporarily), it gives me no space to react should something like a deer jumps in front of me.

In other words, if I floor it, and I exceed 180km/hr whilst trying to pass someone = out of control power. That kind of power is what I want. I want the car's capabilities to exceed my ability.

Thanks everyone!