Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
RRTX-SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
2.8 Kenne Bell looking to buy a methanol injection kit

I have a kenne bell 2.8L on my 2010 ss and im looking to buy a meth kit to lower my iat's, ive done some searches but still cant make up my mind on which one to purchase im am leaning towards the alky control kit which ones are you guys running??
416 CI M6-LS3 Kenne Bell 3.6, Livernois Dual Fuel Pump Kit w/KB BAP, Futral Motorsports Blower Cam, SW 2"Headers, Zl1 Dual Mode Exhaust, Street Slayer Billet Twin-Disc Clutch,PFADT lowering springs and sway bars, Iforged Classic Wheels, AI Meth Injection, rx dual checkvalve catchcan, Innovators West 8-Rib pulley setup....690RWHP/701RWTQ @ 10 PSI-CALIBRATED BY KARGER @ SNL PERFORMANCE

1995 Camaro Z28 LT1 M6
383 Fully Forged shortblock
RRTX-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
Everyone on here is gong to say Alky Control.

I am using a Snow stage 3 and I have had zero problems with it.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
ran the coolingmist and ran fine, but did not help lower iats more then 5 degrees...and yes it worked, i thought it would of dropped more..i think that it has to travel so far thru the snout that it is not efficient as you would think...i would def look at the dual fans or bigger he 1st..
Old 11-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
RRTX-SS

^^^^^^ where exactly did u mount the nozzles?? And will definitely look into upgrading the he
416 CI M6-LS3 Kenne Bell 3.6, Livernois Dual Fuel Pump Kit w/KB BAP, Futral Motorsports Blower Cam, SW 2"Headers, Zl1 Dual Mode Exhaust, Street Slayer Billet Twin-Disc Clutch,PFADT lowering springs and sway bars, Iforged Classic Wheels, AI Meth Injection, rx dual checkvalve catchcan, Innovators West 8-Rib pulley setup....690RWHP/701RWTQ @ 10 PSI-CALIBRATED BY KARGER @ SNL PERFORMANCE

1995 Camaro Z28 LT1 M6
Old 11-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
rjacobs

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
did not help lower iats more then 5 degrees...and yes it worked, i thought it would of dropped more..i think that it has to travel so far thru the snout that it is not efficient as you would think.
Meth injections purpose is not to drop IAT's, it doesnt work like nitrous. Meth has an octane rating of about 110, maybe slightly higher depending on the quality of meth you get. So when you spray and combine that with your gasoline you are getting maybe 100 octane(depending on your mix of meth/water, usually max out around 60/40 so no advantage to run straight meth) so you can run higher timing and get a decent amount more power out of the motor because it increases the effective octane the motor is seeing. That is the purpose of methanol injection. Hopefully you arent spraying meth prior to your MAF/IAT sensors as it will eat them up in VERY short order since meth is a bit corrosive.

On a centrifugal or turbo setup I would put the nozzles just prior to the throttle body in the intake tubing(downstream of the MAF/IAT). On a roots type blower I honestly(im not that familiar with them) wouldnt know where to mount the nozzle/s since I wouldnt want to spray meth through the blower personally.

As to which system to run, I always had good luck with the Snow systems. The stage 3 systems are a really great setup with all the fail safes you need to make the car run well and be safe about it if you run out of meth or the pump quits.
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
mikepage0007

i agree , we ran a 50/50 water mix and placed nozzles on cai pipe about 1 inch from the tb connection...the more water mix helps we had 70/30 meth/water at first and found that the 50/50 mix worked best...but def won,t see much in iat dropping from meth..we did pick up about 30hp tuning for the meth, but dialed it back to safe mode as depending on that hp from the meth can be disastrous if meth runs out or fails...imo
Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
RRTX-SS

my car is currently set up on a street tune @8-9psi makes 625rwhp......but i also have an 100 octane tune which puts it in the 700s for rwhp........im lookin into using the as a substitute for race gas but have heard it cools down the iat quite a bit and keeps the pcm from pulling timing.....the iat on my vehicle is located on the supercharger and not the intake tube but i wouldnt be spraying the MAF either......snow sounds pretty good they do have a trunk mounted kit right??

1995 Camaro Z28 LT1 M6
Old 11-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
RRTX-SS

thats the only concern i have about using meth instead of race gas......i also thought of using meth just for safety on the 625 tune......

1995 Camaro Z28 LT1 M6
Old 11-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
mikepage0007

i don,t see anywhere you mentioned that you forged motor, i would keep it in the 650 rwhp range...pushing it further only increases chance of catastrophic failure...i saw red jewel throw a piston threw the block at 125mph and all the oil blows out threw the block and onto the tires- rolled car over the dragstrip and barrle rolled 5 times at least ...any idea what happens at 125mph when oil blews onto your tires...forge the motor 1st before asking it to run 700rwhp area..imo..
Old 11-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
RRTX-SS

great advice man.....definately dont want anything like that to happen. Im still trying not to get greedy with the power.......

1995 Camaro Z28 LT1 M6
Old 11-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
rjacobs

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
i agree , we ran a 50/50 water mix and placed nozzles on cai pipe about 1 inch from the tb connection...the more water mix helps we had 70/30 meth/water at first and found that the 50/50 mix worked best...but def won,t see much in iat dropping from meth..we did pick up about 30hp tuning for the meth, but dialed it back to safe mode as depending on that hp from the meth can be disastrous if meth runs out or fails...imo
I think you missed my point. Its IMPOSSIBLE for meth to drop your IAT's because thats not its purpose. I mean MAYBE it would drop them, like you said, 5 degrees simply for the water moving through the air and pulling some heat out due to evaporation of the water. Its not like NOS which sprays in at a super low temp thus making the air more dense and allowing you to blow more fuel in too. And 50/50 is about what I have always run, like I said, you may see slight gains at 60/40, but anything above that there is no point.

If you dont have a fail safe system in place when running meth you are just asking for your motor to blow. I never cared if I ran out of meth because if my tank capacity got low or the flow sensor detected no flow the system would shut down the boost control solenoid causing no boost(this was on turbo cars). I watched my tank capacity religiously almost every day until I got a feel for how much meth/water mix I was going through.

I am a huge fan of meth if done right. To do it right costs a decent amount of money for a good controller and all the fail safes, but once its in and setup its so nice.
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
NS

Drives: 2010
I too am in the market, anyone have knowledge on the devils own kit?
NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
RRTX-SS

Gotcha well looks like ill be upgrading my he and installing meth.......and keep it at 650rwhp....thanks fellas i also need to look into snow's kit a little closer. Im sure alky and snow are great kits now its just a preference thing

1995 Camaro Z28 LT1 M6
Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
xjer22x

Drives: 2010 rs/ss black # 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
I think you missed my point. Its IMPOSSIBLE for meth to drop your IAT's because thats not its purpose. I mean MAYBE it would drop them, like you said, 5 degrees simply for the water moving through the air and pulling some heat out due to evaporation of the water. Its not like NOS which sprays in at a super low temp thus making the air more dense and allowing you to blow more fuel in too. And 50/50 is about what I have always run, like I said, you may see slight gains at 60/40, but anything above that there is no point.

If you dont have a fail safe system in place when running meth you are just asking for your motor to blow. I never cared if I ran out of meth because if my tank capacity got low or the flow sensor detected no flow the system would shut down the boost control solenoid causing no boost(this was on turbo cars). I watched my tank capacity religiously almost every day until I got a feel for how much meth/water mix I was going through.

I am a huge fan of meth if done right. To do it right costs a decent amount of money for a good controller and all the fail safes, but once its in and setup its so nice.
Well I will disagree with your first statement. By running my AEM Meth kit with about a 40/60 Meth/water mixture... I lowered my intake temps well over 50 degrees. I have logs to prove it. All I did was install my Meth kit without any tuning and my intake temps went from 200 degrees down to 130. On our cars you have to add a IAT sensor to be able to read it correctly. DO NOT SPRAY THE METH THROUGH THE MAF SENSOR. The Meth injection should be sprayed after this sensor. Yes it also acts as a octane booster but that is not why I am using it. The main reason is for the cooling factor. This way IF something fails with the system I have nothing to worry about because I didn't put a more aggressive tune into the car. It will just read higher IATs. I picked up over 4-5 MPH in the quarter mile simply by adding the Meth and no other changes. My car was falling on its face at top end because of the high IAT I was experiencing when it was warm out. Now I can hot lap with never going over 130 degrees. Its amazing how different the car feels with consistent IAT. Not only for the more dense air but it doesn't pull timing as much either.

Now it might be different because i have a Turbo system. So keep that in mind too. I can't speak for supercharger setup.

sent from my galaxy s3. that would explain the errors.
xjer22x is offline   Reply With Quote