Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #169
KSCamaro

Drives: Still Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
You obviously didn't really want a Z/28. Why?, because this is what a REAL Z/28 is.

Buy a ZL1. It's AWESOME!
No, I waited 2 years because I can see the future and I just wanted to post in this thread.

It's what a Z/28 is since yesterday.
And that was the point of this thread, the discussion of : Do you think GM missed the ball my making the z/28 a track only car? Yes, by a long shot.

I don't understand why so many people around here get their panties in a bunch just because they don't agree with an opinion. I think some of you missed your medication this morning.
KSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #170
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
No they're saying buy another Camaro you can afford! It's an "ORIGINAL" designed Z28, NOT the pretender model. The REAL thing (anything) always cost more.
We get it, it's the REAL thing. I already commented on the original window sticker at the top of this page. Again: Base=$2,700 After all options=$3,800 An increase of 40%. An increase of 40% on a $35k SS is $49k, not $70-75k as is expected of the new Z-28. What we're saying, for the last time: So MANY people have been asking for a Z-28 since 2010. Now, 99.9% of those people that asked, will NEVER get the chance to own one because of the limited production and presumed price. As I said, it is what it is; however, many will miss out. I would pay $50k for one, but that's about it.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #171
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
OK well after all the bitching I have done and reading and continued depression and disappointment, I have come to this same conclusion. So many wanted the LS7 in the car and the MPG's I would guess are going to be worse than the ZL1. If it was priced for any Joe Blow to purchase, since me included would love to, and many more would buy it just for the badge, GM's CAFE rating's would suffer tremendously. So all in all, the car is built to please a select few and the hallowed name is back so it may bring butt's to the dealerships, but I am saddened, jealous, disappointed and angry that I have saved, waited and waited and saved and I won't be able to get within a "tensa-Barriers" length to seeing one much less owning one in real life. Truly sad.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #172

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
That's true. But it doesn't mean GM should jack up the price to insure it doesn't make it to the track or be suitable for garage queens. Right? I mean stripped down it shouldn't cost what they're going to charge for it. Plain and simple.
I think you might be reading too much into this "stripped down" thing...I know it sounds ridiculous and bass-ackwards, but I truly believe that to change it to a stripper is more expensive....

...Unlike the 60's where you added items, and added expense, they just don't, won't, can't do it that way these days...They probably spent more time and expense figuring out how to remove items, than they would have cost to leave in...Numerous items that were once considered optional, have long been so taken for granted in the assembly process, that to undo them probably sent them back to the drawing board for a long, long time...These deleted items are money-makers for the company when they are included, but more of a night-mare to leave out...

...As crazy as it sounds, slam me if you want, but I think it's true....and why we will never see a pick and choose laundry list of options for cars ever again...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #173
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCamaro View Post
No, I waited 2 years because I can see the future and I just wanted to post in this thread.

It's what a Z/28 is since yesterday.
And that was the point of this thread, the discussion of : Do you think GM missed the ball my making the z/28 a track only car? Yes, by a long shot.

I don't understand why so many people around here get their panties in a bunch just because they don't agree with an opinion. I think some of you missed your medication this morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
We get it, it's the REAL thing. I already commented on the original window sticker at the top of this page. Again: Base=$2,700 After all options=$3,800 An increase of 40%. An increase of 40% on a $35k SS is $49k, not $70-75k as is expected of the new Z-28. What we're saying, for the last time: So MANY people have been asking for a Z-28 since 2010. Now, 99.9% of those people that asked, will NEVER get the chance to own one because of the limited production and presumed price. As I said, it is what it is; however, many will miss out. I would pay $50k for one, but that's about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
OK well after all the bitching I have done and reading and continued depression and disappointment, I have come to this same conclusion. So many wanted the LS7 in the car and the MPG's I would guess are going to be worse than the ZL1. If it was priced for any Joe Blow to purchase, since me included would love to, and many more would buy it just for the badge, GM's CAFE rating's would suffer tremendously. So all in all, the car is built to please a select few and the hallowed name is back so it may bring butt's to the dealerships, but I am saddened, jealous, disappointed and angry that I have saved, waited and waited and saved and I won't be able to get within a "tensa-Barriers" length to seeing one much less owning one in real life. Truly sad.
Guys I here ya! It is more than I even expected and I know the original intent of the Z28. You can't fault GM for going back to their roots on this one. The Z28 was/is their Superstar Camaro and now they've thrown everything I mean everything at it. The "Car" made the name, why? Due to its capabilities based on its content formula. Unfortunately those things are more expensive than ever.
I get your math, the problem is now GM works on packages NOT options. And this package is beyond loaded. And I'm not worked up over anything just trying to explain things rationally to guys that obviously LOVE cool cars, but cool cars can be expensive.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #174
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Agreed 100%. People talking about this car being in the neighborhood of $75k??? Camaro aficiandos have been asking for a Z-28 since the 2010's came out. Now GM brings it back as an overpriced (potentially), stripped down, track car. I think they're really limiting their market here. Remember the SS/R? Yikes!!!

You are absolutely right. We ARE limiting the market for this car. It is not for everyone.

I'm trying to decide exactly what the issues are here and I'm starting to believe it's because we have two schools of thought here:

The first school wants the Z/28 to go back to its roots. (Hint: did you note that the car is a "Z/28" and not a "Z28"??? -- go do your homework.......)

The second school wants a Z/28 (I should say in this instance "Z28" that can be built 15 bazillion different ways........)

We made a decision and we're sticking to it. The "Z/28" is a hallowed moniker that became 'less and less' to some people over the years.....

If you are not happy the way the Z/28 is configured, we offer you:

>SS/L99

>SS/LS3

>SS/1LE/LS3

>ZL1

And if that's not enough for you - you may want to consider ordering a 1LE and then modding or dropping your own LS7 engine in the engine bay........

Lastly - and I'll say it again (pay attention!) CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Old 03-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #175
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock1962 View Post
....The good thing about this is these Z28's will be a rare car I don't think they will sell as well as the ZL1.

The Z/28 isn't meant to outsell the ZL1.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #176
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Maybe the Legend will be understood now.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #177
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
I haven't been warned in a while, so here goes.......

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU SPOILED BRATS?????

You don't like the new Z/28? FINE! Just quit bitching!

Go back and read what a lot of the old-timers, that knew what a Z/28 was, have been saying what a 5th gen car should be....... GM NAILED IT!

You bitch because it doesn't have A/C... really? Get the friggin A/C option! sheesh.

You bitch because it doesn't have a radio.... TOUGH! Go buy a honda and fill the back seat with 12's and amps, or whatever you kids are doing nowadays.

You bitch because it's going to be expensive..... It has a LS7 with the dry sump system intact! It also has the drivetrain to handle that power all.day.long.

It has brakes that are only found on high dollar exotics! I'm amazed they did that, very cool!

It has high dollar Recaro's that will keep you comfy while you're pulling hard G's thru the corners... SWEET!

This car has all the bells and whistles a Z/28 needs, without all the fluff it doesn't.

WELL DONE GM!!!

I've read most all of the Z/28 posts... for a few years now... I'm really disappointed that the younger generation doesn't even know what the car is.

Dear Mr. Twisty - -

THANK YOU!!

Please send me your mailing address -- and your full name - as I am going to leave all my earthly belongings to you in my will as I'm so grateful for your voice of wisdom and reason.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #178
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
When my wife says she like the thought of a Z/28, I think GM did it right!! Considering we own a ZL1.

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #179

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

Please send me your mailing address -- and your full name - as I am going to leave all my earthly belongings to you in my will as I'm so grateful for your voice of wisdom and reason.
Dammitall...I was hoping for that spot...lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #180
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikSS View Post
Here's my take on this.... and maybe I'm in left feild as well but hear me out a sec.

After reading the statement that Mr. Settlemire made earlier in the thread... I think GM has somewhat built this bed for themselves... not bashing but check it out.

So the Z28 was born to race... in 1967 and years later... yes we know that. But, what followed was the birth of the "Z28" Camaro that most of us know as the Camaro to go get in the 80's and 90's and even 2000's... up until 1996 when the Z28 was built by GM and sent to SLP to have the SS package installed so then the SS was the car to go get.

Where did GM go wrong in my opinion? They took the RPO Z28 and made it the everyday sports car with the creature comforts, the style, the go fast motor, an affordable sports car... and put em on the dealer lots, cause there was no other option for Camaro unless you wanted a V6 Camaro or Corvette which most couldn't afford then or needed more than 2 seats.

So fast forward to 2010.... I think everyone was expecting to see "that" car again... The Z28 that handles good, the badges, the leather interior and amenities, go fast motor.... Not the race car that it was orginally set out to be and new race car that it's gonna be. I'm not saying it's GM's fault for this uproar, but I don't think they done themselves any favors by making it the prime Camaro to get for so many years through the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, because that is what set the expectations for so many here and it's not what people were expecting.

I like the car... its options, and what it stands for... even though I really have no use for it cause I don't race or have a track to go to. So that brings us to the ZL-1... which I think IS "that" car we were so used to seeing over the last 25 years, just with different badges.

....and what I'd say to you is that if we did the exact opposite, we'd be getting bashed from those whose opinions are 180 degrees from yours.

LOOK AT THE LINEUP...... WE BUILD A CAMARO FOR (quoting Alfred Sloan) "every purse and every purpose"

(......you younguns -- go read up on Mr. Alfred Sloan.....also Mr. Vince Piggins......)
Old 03-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #181
KSCamaro

Drives: Still Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Dear Mr. Twisty - -

THANK YOU!!

"voice of wisdom and reason"
At least you have a sense of humor...
KSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #182
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
Why should people be thankful for a car they can't afford? People wanted a Z/28 so they could buy one. You didn't think people wanted a Z/28 so they could just talk about how fast it is? I just don't see how people here need to be attacked for wishing they had a shot in hell of buying a Z/28. Seems elitist to me.

And to you I would reply that we had a lot of really upset Camaro Enthusiasts - those who have been enthusiasts for 40+ years in many cases - and others not that long but who loved the Z/28 moniker and thought we'd thrown the name in the mud by putting it on cars with less than 200 hp.........

They were upset for many years and some others weren't.

We can't (nor can any manufacturer) keep everyone happy.

We (as custodians of the brand) believe we did what needed to be done.

(....I also suspect we'll have people applying Z28 emblems -- note I did not say Z/28 - on their Camaros.....even though they're not real Z/28s....)