Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #15
AntiVnm

Drives: '10 IBM Camaro
Well said
Dynateck 1 7/8 headers, CAI intake, Nitto DR, 3:73 Richmond gears, Vigilante 2800 stall converter, tune

AntiVnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #16
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
At your height the Camaro is really just a 3 seater. I have 2 small kids and they fit just fine in the back, but they cannot see anything out the windows becasue the seats are so deep. My 10yr old can't really see out of the front passenger seat either. Their excitment and laughter comes from when i floor-it every now and then.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #17
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Thanks folks, this has been good feedback. I too feel that it is a "to each their own" decision. From a reliability perspective I have had no experience with Chevy products and can only relate to Dodge based on the Intrepid I have had for 11 years and 150k miles without a single issue and I pretty much beat on the car all year long here in New Jersey no matter what the weather. Now on the GM side, I have a MOPAR man from 60's and 70's that from the earliest time I can remember did nothing but complain about GM quality to the point that if I were to buy one I think the man would disown me as his son (slight exaggeration but you get the point). I try to block him out during this process but the reliability aspect for me comes into play as this vehicle needs to carry me for a decade or so and over 200k miles. I have done a substantial amount of reading about the 6.1 HEMI in the SRT8s but not as much about the history and reliability of the 6.2 in the Manual 2SS's, I know the tranny (TREMEC 6060) is the same in both and a very solid unit from what I have read but from my readings it seems the 6060 is "hooked up" to the HEMI a little better than to the 6.2, totally anecdotal I am thinking as I have yet to drive the 6.2 with the 6060 in the SS.

Any history on the reliability of the 6.2 in the SS would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Robert
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #18
BAD BRAD

Drives: 1969 CAMARO 2010 CAMARO
cant go wrong with either one i own both 2008 srt8 challenger #6177 and 2010 ss rs rjt
love both could not choose so got both have fun with what ever u get. i will tell u this all those people who bad mouth challenger have never owned one. great power and with some mods like my car will dust the camaro. lets hear the roasters now.
BAD BRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
Dan3
Captain of the Failboat

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
I may get crucified for this, but in my opinion...
IF you can afford the Challenger and think its worth it, get the Challenger. If you don't race, the performance that gets the Chally ranked lower is a null issue. And the Dad factor plays a big role.

I understand your predicament. I was shopping Camaro 2SS, Challenger SRT8, and Mustang GT very close. All three are very nice cars, but I ruled out Mustang based on that god-awful 2010 body style. I really liked the Chally, and it will always be more rare than Camaros or Mustangs, however it is (as mentioned repeatedly) $6-10k more than the Camaro.
That said, the real reason I went with Camaro is heritage. My family has been die-hard GM for a long time, my uncle used to be a GM dealer and he would shoot me on sight if I rolled up in a Ford, and beat me to death for driving Mopar. Going with your dad's choice would probably mean a lot to him, and seeing him grin and listening to him brag about his son's car MIGHT just be worth a few extra grand to you. I know getting to see how excited my dad was about my Camaro meant a lot to me.
You can't go wrong with either one, Good luck!

Just remember how close this descision was when you were buying, and let your kids know you won't disown them for driving GM. You can still threaten to shoot on sight if they're caught in a Ford.
Produced - 10 August 2009 : #34143
Delivered - 25 August 2009
Dan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #20
OC CAMARO

Drives: 2010 black 2SS Camaro
I was in the same situation as you were. I had my choice between the two, and I myself am a big guy too. I really liked the challenger, like really liked it. I have nothing bad to say about it at all. It is a wonderful car. When it came down to it though, I just fell in love with the camaro. I fell in love with the excitement about the car and the high energy of the people on this board. When I went to challengertalk, it felt dead. Here everyone is pumped bout there cars. You also cannot deny the sheer wow factor you get from people at stop lights, grocery stores, and pretty much any where you go. You honestly can't go wrong with either one but for me the Camaro got the edge.

Anyways Camaro for me
OC CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #21
Nezacant

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm actually proud of the responses I see here. I thought it was gunna be ZOMG F'ING CAMARO ARE U HIGH?!?!?111/1/?!

My PO? Chally is a beautiful car. Love it's retro look. Absolutly hate the interior although it does have better visability. Price vs. Performance did it for me. And like others said the Chally is priced way over the Camaro. I chose the Camaro.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #22
chain1

Drives: 2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS 5.0
I've actually been considering both as well. I definitely prefer the exterior styling of the Challenger but can't stand the interior. I also think it's overpriced. I like the fact that the Camaro is more performance oriented (especially with the M6) but, in the end, I'm kind of stumped because (don't kill me!) I'm not too thrilled with the interior of the Camaro either. I can't help but think the radio looks like a 1980's boom box and would get old fast.
chain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #23
tenwatt

Drives: Pontiac Solstice GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD BRAD View Post
cant go wrong with either one i own both 2008 srt8 challenger #6177 and 2010 ss rs rjt
love both could not choose so got both have fun with what ever u get. i will tell u this all those people who bad mouth challenger have never owned one. great power and with some mods like my car will dust the camaro. lets hear the roasters now.
um yeah like I said the interior on the Challenger blows and it's overpriced.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #24
tenwatt

Drives: Pontiac Solstice GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain1 View Post
I've actually been considering both as well. I definitely prefer the exterior styling of the Challenger but can't stand the interior. I also think it's overpriced. I like the fact that the Camaro is more performance oriented (especially with the M6) but, in the end, I'm kind of stumped because (don't kill me!) I'm not too thrilled with the interior of the Camaro either. I can't help but think the radio looks like a 1980's boom box and would get old fast.
The interior of the mustang smokes both the challenger and the camaro. the options, materials and details are really top notch. The sync system is also a nice standard perk. Obviously it lags on performance but if they upgrade the engines next year like what's been rumored then it might be back on top of the muscle car mountain.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #25
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
The "Camaro vs. ..." forum has a lot of good info here.

On the Challenger front, if you're really serious about buying one, check out their production situation first. There are a slew of people over at challengertalk who ordered their Challenger in 2008, had their 2009 order canceled when Chrysler went through their troubles, then re-ordered as a 2010 with the higher MSRP. And a lot of them are still waiting on their order.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #26
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Buy an R/T and buy a 2SS! You can't go wrong...
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:26 AM   #27
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 View Post
Buy an R/T and buy a 2SS! You can't go wrong...
I was thinking that same thing, then I was wondering which one my wife would go after when she filed for divorce because I got two cars....

I went to the local dealer last night and sat in an Inferno Orange 2SS with the Inferno Accented Interior, holy crap that is a sweet cockpit. The Chally is more of a retro dash and at first the Camaro dash turned me off. The funny thing was I heard a small voice in my head saying "buy me, buy me, buy me, and caught my wallet on the passenger seat wide open and panting as if to say "spend me, spend me, spend me".

I am going back to the dealer today during daylight to take a 2SS out on the road, the issue I have now is I am not liking what I am reading about the Automatics with the L99 and AFM and the feel in the car when it kicks on and off, I do A LOT of cruising on Interstate highways for work on gradual up and down stretches and don't want to deal with the AFM and will be using this as a daily driver and don't want to run the risk of voiding warranty if I have it tuned off but I am going to have to really work on the wife to warm up to a manual tranny, she is scared to death of one.
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:44 AM   #28
bdg

Drives: 2010 camaro
When me and the wife started looking at a new toy, I wanted a challenger and she wanted the camaro. After weeks of arguing I caved in. I told her to just go pick out what she wanted. She went and ordered it on her own, 2ss,rs,m6 in silver. I had never even went and looked at the camaro until ours came in. She let me drive it first and let me say "Hell Yeah" she made the right discission. This car is awsome in every aspect. I have not driven a challenger but I really doubt it would compare to the camaro. If I am honest I would have to say that I still like the challenger's looks over the camaro. Do I wish she would have picked the challenger over the camaro? NO Way!
bdg is offline   Reply With Quote