Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #1
Baguira

Drives: Camaro 2SS 2010
Best gears for my setup ?!

Hello gentlemen , im new here , im going to tell you my setup that im about to do in the next few months and need ur best advice , i have the following parts ordered sitting in my garage waiting to get the all parts together to start the application .

First , My car is Camaro 2SS 2010 A6 , boltons , Vararam intake , Kooks longtube headers , X pipe and borla atak mufflers with a tune .

My new setup parts are :

- TSP Cam stage 4 “ F35 with l99 to LS3 Conversion kit

- Ported throttle

- ported intake

- will port the heads soon “ if you have more details and info that would hepl me just tell me “

-Deep transmission oil pan

-Transmission Cooler 40000

- thinking about better water cooling valve “ any ideas ? “

- Double roller from rollmaster “ red edition “ , when i ordered it from summit racing they said will not fit the factory dry sump !! “ is it an issue in my case ?

- Circle D torque convertor triple clutch highs stall speed “ dont remember the exact number “ about 3600-4200ish”

- i want to change the 3.27 gears to something better for my setup , any ideas ?

- will add zl1 fuel pump

- oil catch can

-ZL1 Belly pan , what do u think of it ?

My goal with this car track and dd

I usually go with roll races much more than dig

So that was basically my setup goal

Wheres that gonna put me in the HP and Torque wise ?

Thinking about going to Nitrous after that setup

What do you think of Weld Racing Wheels 17 inch all over the 4 tires

And what is the best oil choices for the engine , Transmission , Differential, etc after that setup

Hope to find answers from u gentlemen , thanks
Baguira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:02 AM   #2
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
3.91's NA, but if you go nitrous you'll have a traction problem. I'll stay out of oil recommendation other than the diff, There I'd stick with GM stuff.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:46 AM   #3
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
For track and DD, I would go with 3.45 SS or 3.73 ZL1. What was the thinking behind the 4000+/- stall on a track and DD car?
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:06 AM   #4
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
391 is a good gear for an auto. Have it myself and can recommend it. Anything less just isnt much of an upgrade of the 323 imo. When you say track, I assume you mean drag strip?
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
Baguira

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
391 is a good gear for an auto. Have it myself and can recommend it. Anything less just isnt much of an upgrade of the 323 imo. When you say track, I assume you mean drag strip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
3.91's NA, but if you go nitrous you'll have a traction problem. I'll stay out of oil recommendation other than the diff, There I'd stick with GM stuff.
With slicks will it be fine ?

Thanks though ..
Old 05-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #6
Baguira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
For track and DD, I would go with 3.45 SS or 3.73 ZL1. What was the thinking behind the 4000+/- stall on a track and DD car?
That was the recommended for the stage 4 Cam . Will i have issues ?
Old 05-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #7
Baguira

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
Will that 3.91 do good in roll racing ?
Old 05-03-2021, 12:06 PM   #8
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
the lower the gear the better off you will be as far as acceleration, until you start losing traction or run out of MPH. You won't run out of MPH but if you stuff nitrous down its throat with 3.91's on the street you will have traction issues, slicks in a straight line will hold traction pretty well if your suspension is set up, depends how much power you are putting out. I have 3.45's and on the street with road course tires on a hot day I get traction in 2nd but never in 1st
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:57 PM   #9
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Am I missing something here?

(Double roller from rollmaster “ red edition “ , when i ordered it from summit racing they said will not fit the factory dry sump !! “ is it an issue in my case ?)

The 2010 SS (66-7) read that upside down, didn’t come with a “dry sump” oil pump. Get a C5R chain and forget about it... it’s what I ran in my previous build... Now I run a dry sump...

Now, speaking from experience, first hand, I strongly recommend you do some suspension work before you dive too deep... You don’t want to end up backwards in a ditch at 90 mph... Plus it’ll go a ways towards protecting your drive train...

Toe Rods and Trailing Arms are probably the biggest single relatively inexpensive change you can make... Keeping the rear wheels straight in relationship to the body lines and pointed down “track” are critical to aiding traction and reducing wheel hop tendencies...

If budget isn’t an issue, consider lower control arms as well, and you will free up more options for wheel size down the road... 20’s look cool, but are not the best for traction. Lower control arms will allow more clearance for smaller diameter rear wheels. I would leave the front wheels and tires alone... These cars are heavy, and if/when you get sideways, you will want some meat under the front to tame the beast... Ask me how I know... A bunch of the drag racers do run a skinny up front, but the smart ones have seriously lightened their cars... like in the 3200-3400 lb range with driver... At 4000 lbs, you don’t want a 4.5 inch wide sketchy sidewall tire under the front... The rolling friction of the larger more stable contact patch is negligible...

Now, heat related, remove the engine cover, and the sound deadening intake cover and hang them on the wall in your shop/garage... While you’re in there, under the hood, pull the weatherstripping off the top of the firewall and toss it, or store it in case you decide to sell the car and want to re-install it... The removal of the two covers will increase under
hood noise slightly, (you will hear valve train noise and intake air noise a bit louder) but it will allow more heat dissipation. Removing the weather strip allows a free escape area for heat and reduces under hood air escaping under the car, which reduces front end lift at speed...

Gears, for an auto, I wouldn’t lower the gearing too far... Say 3.73 at the very lowest... The transmission gearing will help make up the difference and your highway cruising won’t suffer so much mpg... Traction becomes an issue if you go much further... unless you roll around on drag radials all the time, and do lots of suspension work... The auto will help since gear shifts are not as violent on the driveline but...

I run 3.07 gears with a manual transmission but I don’t “drag” race... Traction is an issue to way over 100 mph, even with that gearing, but I don’t start accelerating hard even in first gear until 60 mph, shifting at 95+ mph and 9000 rpm...

Good luck with the build, sound like a great project...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:28 PM   #10
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
If roll racing mainly, 3.91s all day. From a dig though if you punch it you'll have traction issues unless you have sticky tires.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:23 AM   #11
Ashen L99

Drives: Ashen grey, 1SS, L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baguira View Post
Will that 3.91 do good in roll racing ?
Not in the auto, 4th runs out at 120mph for me with a 29.4” tall tire. Most people around here want to do 40-60 to 140-150. You can pull 5th in the 6l80 but only so many times before it will let go. They are PERFECT for the strip or digs.
Roto-fab CAI, Nick Williams 102mm TB, LOD X1 V3 intake manifold, GMPP LS3 heads, Night Fury cam, TSP 2” long tubes, Corsa ZL-1 catback, Nitrous Outlet 102mm plate kit/150 shot, NGK BR7EF plugs with Taylor plug wires, DSX flex fuel kit, ZL-1 fuel pump and injectors, B&M deep trans pan, Yank 3400 converter, 3.45s with BMR Delrin bushings, mishimoto 169° Thermostat, GM ground effects, T-Rex upper grill, Z/28 Spoiler, Lolly pop Lime brake calipers, ZL1 10 spoke wheels, 12” subwoofer, and custom paint matched interior.
Ashen L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:15 AM   #12
Baguira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
the lower the gear the better off you will be as far as acceleration, until you start losing traction or run out of MPH. You won't run out of MPH but if you stuff nitrous down its throat with 3.91's on the street you will have traction issues, slicks in a straight line will hold traction pretty well if your suspension is set up, depends how much power you are putting out. I have 3.45's and on the street with road course tires on a hot day I get traction in 2nd but never in 1st
Thanks buddy
Old 05-04-2021, 08:17 AM   #13
Baguira

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Am I missing something here?

(Double roller from rollmaster “ red edition “ , when i ordered it from summit racing they said will not fit the factory dry sump !! “ is it an issue in my case ?)

The 2010 SS (66-7) read that upside down, didn’t come with a “dry sump” oil pump. Get a C5R chain and forget about it... it’s what I ran in my previous build... Now I run a dry sump...

Now, speaking from experience, first hand, I strongly recommend you do some suspension work before you dive too deep... You don’t want to end up backwards in a ditch at 90 mph... Plus it’ll go a ways towards protecting your drive train...

Toe Rods and Trailing Arms are probably the biggest single relatively inexpensive change you can make... Keeping the rear wheels straight in relationship to the body lines and pointed down “track” are critical to aiding traction and reducing wheel hop tendencies...

If budget isn’t an issue, consider lower control arms as well, and you will free up more options for wheel size down the road... 20’s look cool, but are not the best for traction. Lower control arms will allow more clearance for smaller diameter rear wheels. I would leave the front wheels and tires alone... These cars are heavy, and if/when you get sideways, you will want some meat under the front to tame the beast... Ask me how I know... A bunch of the drag racers do run a skinny up front, but the smart ones have seriously lightened their cars... like in the 3200-3400 lb range with driver... At 4000 lbs, you don’t want a 4.5 inch wide sketchy sidewall tire under the front... The rolling friction of the larger more stable contact patch is negligible...

Now, heat related, remove the engine cover, and the sound deadening intake cover and hang them on the wall in your shop/garage... While you’re in there, under the hood, pull the weatherstripping off the top of the firewall and toss it, or store it in case you decide to sell the car and want to re-install it... The removal of the two covers will increase under
hood noise slightly, (you will hear valve train noise and intake air noise a bit louder) but it will allow more heat dissipation. Removing the weather strip allows a free escape area for heat and reduces under hood air escaping under the car, which reduces front end lift at speed...

Gears, for an auto, I wouldn’t lower the gearing too far... Say 3.73 at the very lowest... The transmission gearing will help make up the difference and your highway cruising won’t suffer so much mpg... Traction becomes an issue if you go much further... unless you roll around on drag radials all the time, and do lots of suspension work... The auto will help since gear shifts are not as violent on the driveline but...

I run 3.07 gears with a manual transmission but I don’t “drag” race... Traction is an issue to way over 100 mph, even with that gearing, but I don’t start accelerating hard even in first gear until 60 mph, shifting at 95+ mph and 9000 rpm...

Good luck with the build, sound like a great project...

Thats alot of experience though , i really appreciate it

BTW , i forgot to tell you i have eibach lowering sprins on stock suspension , will it be a proplem with the suspension work u mentioned ? And in general in performance wise ?

Thanks alot for ur info , u opened my eyes into new stuff
Old 05-04-2021, 08:19 AM   #14
Baguira

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
If roll racing mainly, 3.91s all day. From a dig though if you punch it you'll have traction issues unless you have sticky tires.
I think id go with 3.73 to get the best of the both worlds , thanks for ur response though