Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: What are the most important parameter in selecting a wheel for your Camaro?
Color/Finish 26 22.61%
Design 68 59.13%
Diameter/width 19 16.52%
Price 35 30.43%
Weight 37 32.17%
Other 5 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Sheldon@USWforged.com

Drives: www.USWForged.com
Poll: What do you think is the future of wheels?

We all spend a great deal of time looking at wheels and deciding what is going to look and perform best on our Camaro. This is your opportunity to describe where you think the industry should be headed. Discuss your concerns about weight, diameter, widths, finishes, colors, designs such as concave, price or any other parameter(s) important tot you. Please select a single parameter that you think is the most important in making your final selection.

Last edited by Sheldon@USWforged.com; 05-02-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Sheldon@USWforged.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
I think ultra wide like the Batpod is the direction to go. I personally like the deeeeeeeep concave seen on many Euro/supercars. It looks great on the Vette. It's too hard to predict the future, but going from bicycle wheels on a Model T to what we have today, I'd say a wide wheel for traction is where the industry keeps progressing.

Edit: edit

Last edited by SnoopyAce7; 05-02-2013 at 06:43 PM.
SnoopyAce7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
C'mon man, we all know in the future we wont need wheels!!!! Our cars will levitate and wheel and tire companies will be out of business!!! Until then....keep working on making an "affordable" lightweight wheel!!! I have to pick two...because there are some nice options out there for lightweight wheels (which is important to me), but unfortunately, very few (if any) are truly affordable. So maybe a less expensive lightweight material or forging process????
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Sheldon@USWforged.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
C'mon man, we all know in the future we wont need wheels!!!! Our cars will levitate and wheel and tire companies will be out of business!!!
LOL, I sure hope not!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyAce7 View Post
I think ultra wide like the Batpod is the direction to go. I personally like the deeeeeeeep concave seen on many Euro/supercars. It looks great on the Vette. It's too hard to predict the future, but going from bicycle wheels on a Model T to what we have today, I'd say a wide wheel for traction is where the industry keeps progressing.

Edit: By the way, your poll is going to be pretty much useless since most people will check all of them seeing as they're ALL important to making a wheel. It should be pick one.
Ultra wide is great for performance, but with CAFE standards, keeping wheels light while maintaining their strength (IMO) is probably gonna be a huge factor.

While many of us here at Camaro5 probably don't mind loosing some MPG in exchange for some grip, I believe most consumers looking for an aftermarket wheel are doing so for looks, not bottom-line performance. In that case, if you can bring a well designed wheel that has reduced weight to market, and advertise increased MPG (not to mention all around reduced rotational mass and unsprung weight advantages), I think you'll have a winner.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Sheldon@USWforged.com

Want to thank those that have responded and encourage those that have not to do so. This is certainly an opportunity to tell wheel manufactures what you all want in a wheel and an opportunity to influence the direction wheel manufactuing takes in the future. Camaro owners are growing in numbers as are their opinions, we want to hear what you have to say.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
I'd say most of my customers shop within their comfortable budget first, then pick a wheel in that price range that suits their style. I rarely get someone shopping for $2000 wheels that ends up buying $5000 wheels, or vice-versa. So, I'd say price is the most important factor, but not necessarily cheap pricing. Everyone has their own budget.

Tony
Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
For me, I would like to see the diameter come back down to a useful size. Everyone is going bigger and bigger and there are very few manufactures that are working on taking the larger designs and putting them in a useful size. I like the look of 20-22" rims, but I need the bite you can't get with them.

If someone were to make a good 18" deep dish rim that is 9"-11" wide that was strong and didn't weigh 30 pounds, I think they would have a winner.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
I voted OTHER......seeing as its 4 out of the 5 paramiters listed are the things needed for a wheel to be "Just Right"
Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
design and price hands down!
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
I like 20" or 22" wheels. Not overly heavy. I am seeing more and more people liking and wanting a simple 5, 6 or 10 spoke type design. My dream wheel?

20" or 22" wheel in a 10" width to run square
Semi or very concave
NO rivets or "bolts"
Clean design and easy to clean

I fell IN LOVE with a set of USW Wheels at the Camaro Revolution but I will never be able to afford a set of them.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #12
alanhurst
Master Chief

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
For me, I would like to see the diameter come back down to a useful size. Everyone is going bigger and bigger and there are very few manufactures that are working on taking the larger designs and putting them in a useful size. I like the look of 20-22" rims, but I need the bite you can't get with them.

If someone were to make a good 18" deep dish rim that is 9"-11" wide that was strong and didn't weigh 30 pounds, I think they would have a winner.
Pretty much agree with all this. You find a great looking wheel and it's either not available in 18's or it is but won't clear the freakin Brembos
Old 05-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #13
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
I'd say most of my customers shop within their comfortable budget first, then pick a wheel in that price range that suits their style. I rarely get someone shopping for $2000 wheels that ends up buying $5000 wheels, or vice-versa. So, I'd say price is the most important factor, but not necessarily cheap pricing. Everyone has their own budget.

Tony
id agree with this 100%.. when i was shopping for wheels i set a budget i was comfortable with and could justify spending on a set of wheels and tires and then shopped within that budget. so i guess price first and design second. thats for a daily driver....for a track car i guess widths and weight would be the real factors. its function over form at that point.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:43 AM   #14
StephenS_84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I think design is a given. The most important thing for me was the price. I found a few wheels that I liked, but once I looked into the price, I quickly changed my mind on the more expensive wheels.
StephenS_84 is offline   Reply With Quote