Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #15
Coop

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I understand cost and labor but there hasnt been any inexpensive wheels advertised on this forum. Most of us do not have $5k to shell for wheels but we do want an aftermarket rim that doesnt break the bank.
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #16
COR Forged

Drives: SS
Send a message via AIM to COR Forged
Clearly we have a biased point of view, but I think you can appreciate that the free market being what it is, we are not afforded the luxurious profit margins you may think. If it were that lucrative, I assure you someone would be out there selling them for less. That’s not to say that there are quite a number of companies out there profiting handsomely on selling $8,000 and even $10,000 sets of wheels (think spinners on 26” wheels), on cast wheels that have impurities and are massively produced. The reality is that the discussion above is Apples and Oranges......

It really is like shopping for a suit off the rack versus having it custom tailored; they may serve the same purpose, but they are most certainly not the same. A wheel like our COR Brava is custom manufactured 4 at a time for each specific vehicle application. You can order it in the width you choose, for the tire size you want to run, custom brake package you want, and even can accommodate wide body kits (like the Vettes are so fond of). Cast wheels are by necessity built in large runs. No foundry in the world is going to put on a mold and get it up to temperature, and discard initial pieces with high porosity, just to make a set of 4 wheels for your car. Furthermore, if a cast design proves to be a poor seller, importer goes out of business, or simply becomes dated and old, they stop manufacturing it. Should you damage your wheel and need a replacement, you are looking for 4 new ones. On the other hand if you were to require replacement of even the first COR wheel made, we can still repair or replace it 1 at a time. To sum it up; Tony couldn't have explained our process any better.

And to all the “Green” individuals out there, all machining companies recycle their chips. Unfortunately, if you buy aluminum for $1.25 a lb and recycle it for $1.00 a lb, well you get the picture.

To the OP PM sent
COR Forged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #17
Coop

Again I understand but I havent seen any inexpensive wheels advertised here on C5. I understand having hand built multi piece wheels is expensive (in my mind totally excessive price though) but for us who arent rich what is the alternative?? My point being is there needs to be someone who can step up and sell a nice wheel at an affordable price. That is all I am saying.
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Old 09-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #18
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
In that same regard, most people don't have $35K to spend on a new Camaro. It simply costs money to play the game, and it has always been this way. Most non-car people think we are nuts to spend this much for a toy in the first place. It is all relative. Wheels are the most important visual aspect of any vehicle, even more important than paint. People spend $5-10K on paintjobs. Some of you even drink $5/cup coffee and complain about gas prices
Old 09-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #19
COR Forged

Drives: SS
Send a message via AIM to COR Forged
Coop,

Completely understandable what you're stating but my response was to clarify the misconception that there is such a large profit margin in our wheels and market. Once again I have to agree with Tony. Keep in mind though guys we as well as our vendors (DV8/Tony) offer specials and group buys that offer a more affordable grasp on our wheels.
COR Forged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #20
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
yeah, been there look at them. . . for that price I rather stick on a Whipple.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #21
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
I agree with NineBall and the other wheel vendors. You get what you pay for! The forged wheel is simply that a forged wheel. It is not a cast wheel!!! If you can't afford it don't get it and also don't complain about the prices when you don't know what goes into making, marketing and selling them. Every item that we buy for our "Toys" has a less expensive version that if you so choose you can buy. Why is Cadillac, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Acura, Infiniti and the other high end auto makers still in business??? Because they offer a higher quaility product and there is demand for them!!! If you don't want the better quality wheels, don't buy them but quit crying about it when you don't know what is involved!!!
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #22
Nine Ball

You guys might find it amusing that the same discussion is going on at another site I advertise on. More input there, similar answers as here. http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72857

Quote:
Again I understand but I havent seen any inexpensive wheels advertised here on C5
The owners of those companies cannot type in English, and their time zones are a world apart.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #23
Coop

So Foose and Cragar are foreign..I believe not and some of the Foose wheels are affordable. My point here is why are the wheels being advertised on this site the most expensive?
Old 09-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #24
Nine Ball

Chip Foose himself is American, but Chi Foo that builds his wheels overseas is not. Just because a brand name is American, that doesn't guarantee made in the USA. Foose makes some high-end forged wheels too, those cost more than $1K per wheel. Most of his wheels are low buck cast wheels, and aren't of the same quality as forged wheels. I'd suspect most of those cast Cragar and American Racing wheels are also made in China.

Apples and oranges. I'm always happy to discuss these details with customers.

Tony
Old 09-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #25
Nine Ball

Here ya go Coop:
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...ey-made-34945/

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/ge...ii-wheels.html

I know, this can be a heart-breaker
Old 09-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #26
Coop

Again Nine Ball you didnt answer the question. Why are the the only wheels advertised on C5 the most expensive? It is not like we are driving Corvette's or Porsche's.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #27
Nine Ball

I see low priced wheels advertised all the time in the vendor classifieds section. "Low" priced 20s would be in the $1,000-2,000/set range, typically. Anything less and I would suggest keeping the OEM wheels due to quality concerns.

As for not driving Corvettes or Porsches, that has zero to do with wheels. People will buy the wheels they want, and can afford. It doesn't matter what they drive. Do you consider yourself a second class citizen because you don't drive a Corvette? I hope not. I know plenty of people with plenty of money that still prefer the Camaro over most cars. There is no need to even attempt to justify spending a lot for wheels, people simply buy what they feel comfortable spending on. Most people couldn't even justify spending $35K for a toy Camaro, but all of us did.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #28
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Coop, if you're looking for a true upgrade to the factory SS rims they aren't going to be cheap. Rims that are 20" and up are expensive, period; regardless of whether it's for the Camaro or some other vehicle. That's just the way it is for rims of those sizes.

Ask PQ on the forum how critical it is to have rims of the big sizes made to a high level of precision. Big rims are just more expensive to make and make right.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote