Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351

Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
Burned my clutch a bit with Launch Control.... Caution you guys...

So guys... first minor problem I've noticed...

I didn't post yesterday cuz I didn't want to worry anyone too bad... but basically here it is.

The first time I was trying launch control I didn't do it right. I only had the throttle around 3/4 the way down..and RPMs were around 5000... when I popped the clutch something weird happened....

It seemed like my clutch got stuck half way or something.. the engine revved loudly as I took off...then shortly after it revved way down...then back up..then down... that's when I tore my foot off the gas... this was NOT expected results from popping the clutch.. I expected to rip down the road..but that didn't happen.

SO I can't be sure if the clutch got stuck... OR if I wasn't used to it yet...but I did smell a LOT of clutch after that run.... even today when babying her, I could still smell it.

Now, I have BURNED clutches before. I used to develop ESC and TCS in the Hummer trucks. Yes, Hummers have sticks. Well when I burned a clutch in a hummer trying to get over a log...it smoked really really bad... I did NOT smoke my clutch in the maro....but she's stinking - I hope there is no lasting damage.

I WAS able to use launch control after that a few times - with pedal at 100% flat to the floor in competitive mode... and let me tell ya that's FUN but that 1st try has me worried still.

But please don't do what I did and try to half ass the throttle.. FLOOR IT. I don't know if it was me or what...but if the clutch stuck...that's a bad bad thing... hopefully it was dumb ass user error..... hopefully I don't find out by having it happen again.
Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
paulm85
Red Jewl

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, M6
Hmmmm....I thought that the launch control would help to not let this happen....sounds like the tires must have been gripping like hell though.
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Red Jewel/CGM stripes vin #38202

Permagrin started on 9/12/2009
paulm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
What setting did you have the launch control at the first time? Do you mean it bounced on the rev limiter?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
What setting did you have the launch control at the first time? Do you mean it bounced on the rev limiter?
Competitive mode...

It might have bounced at the rev limiter... honestly I don't know..but it was roaring up and down with my foot hard on the pedal...

Was very very strange....
Old 04-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post

It might have bounced at the rev limiter... honestly I don't know..but it was roaring up and down with my foot hard on the pedal...

Was very very strange....
Ya, this sounds like it was bouncing off the rev limiter. Where is redline on this motor again? That is what it is for, so you don't bend valves and create unwanted holes in piston tops.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
from what i've read and heard about launch control is that when you hit the traction button twice rapidly the words "COMPETITIVE MODE" display on the DIC.. with the clutch to the floor and (obviously) the car in 1st gear you FLOOR it and the launch control holds ure RPMs @ or between 5-6k when you dump the clutch the launch control friggin launches the car forward while controlling tire spin that's one of teh attributes of the launch control. I think it should specify in the pamphlet or manual that you should floor it and the launch control does the rest
Old 04-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarino View Post
from what i've read and heard about launch control is that when you hit the traction button twice rapidly the words "COMPETITIVE MODE" display on the DIC.. with the clutch to the floor and (obviously) the car in 1st gear you FLOOR it and the launch control holds ure RPMs @ or between 5-6k when you dump the clutch the launch control friggin launches the car forward while controlling tire spin that's one of teh attributes of the launch control. I think it should specify in the pamphlet or manual that you should floor it and the launch control does the rest
Yeap, that's exactly right... when you do it the right way!

I got this to work easily after I messed it up the first time and it does work VERY VERY nicely.....
Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
vladkgb

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS Pewter
could it be clutch chatter and some slip since the clutch is brand new and not worn in? (or it sucks :x)
vladkgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Quote:

I got this to work easily after I messed it up the first time and it does work VERY VERY nicely.....
yea lol i wanted to say that they should really specify that, i guess i'm trying to make you feel better, whether you are or not feeling bad lol

but glad to hear it works well
Old 04-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
You did the 1500 mile break in first right? The clutch has to seat from gentle use.

If you burn it up without breaking in you can glaze the surface.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:

Please, please don't take this the wrong way - but if you were to hop in a Top Fuel dragster with no prior knowledge and hammer the throttle, you'd most likely be dead. Please take the time to read your Camaro user manual(s) THOROUGHLY before pushing it. You have a sizeable investment. Glad nothing bad happened, but if it did, you would only have yourself to blame.

On a brighter note - you are DRIVING your car.
We are still just dreaming about ours showing up !!!
Enjoy.

P.S. Thanks again for taking all those great pics and posting them...
Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #12
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Keep driving it, gently, and the burn glazed part should come off and it should seat. Otherwise you would have to have the tranny pulled and have a clutch job. I doubt it's severly damaged.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #13
Panther67

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Thumbs up Slow ride take it easy

And i mean take it easy dont do any fast and ridiculous stunts on a brand new vehicle, the car needs to blend with all parts and components otherwise if put through excessive stress you will damage mechanical parts, i know we may be a bit anxious about our new camaro but first things first become one with your car as a whole as "Bruce Lee said water taking the shape of the glass"..........:party0048:........... .....
Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
i think you were trying to feather and the car was all like wtf is this guy doing and couldnt make up it's mind... they should put it in the manual to use 100% throttle. unless launch control voids the warranty lol i would still save that clutch meat for where you need it, the track not the street.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote