Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-04-2015, 09:31 PM   #29
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
you are renting a car... don't touch it.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #30
Teebsa

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEASSTING View Post
FYI OP...there's a Chevy customer service rep that's on these boards a good bit so be careful what you post if you're worried about your warranty. He seems like a ok person & may have actually helped some people..idk??? But at the end of the day, GM pays him!!! Just sayin...
That's pretty cool to have an expert on here, would love to hear his opinion on it.
Teebsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:39 PM   #31
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebsa View Post
For the point of that argument, it was whether it made more sense to finance or lease for short term ownership. That one is pretty clear.

Of course, if you're going to keep the car long term then yes, you should buy. However someone like me who likes a new car every few years (hello 2017 ATSV!) it just doesn't make sense to purchase.
It does make sense...you just kind of lost me about the whole savings part at the beginning...making it seem like you're saving by leasing is what I mean..

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #32
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Leasing is not for everybody, but saying it is dumb is purely your opinion. If you make tons of money or you thought about owning a 2015 camaro 5 years ago so you saved your pennies for a sizeable down payment, then I assure you that the payments are NOT comparable whatsoever. I put $4k down on my '15 ss. It had a sticker price of $44k. My 39 month lease payment is $485 total. I could have paid an extra $20/mo and had unlimited miles(within reason), but this is one of 4 vehicles for me, so I don't intend to be driving the SS 100% of the time.
Anyway, I could have done a purchase, sure, but I would have been tapped out on the payment, which is around $660/mo with the same amount down, and I would be committed to that for 6 years!!! So by 2021, I will have an outdated(think of what the 2010 camaro is compared to today's camaro - outdated is an understatement!) car that I can call mine, that I put $52k into, that's only worth about $15-18k, if I'm lucky. Oh, and the warranty is over and it's going to start becoming more maintenance intense, so I'll be dumping upkeep money into it regularly from this point on. Now I've been driving the same car for 6 years that I may be bored of and I want a new one. I have equity, sure, but guess what, I still have another payment, albeit lower.
With a lease, the payments are significantly lower, and the vehicle is under warranty the entire term. Come time to turn it in, if it's worth less than their projected residual value of $27k, then I walk away, ahead of the poor sap that bought that same type of vehicle the day I leased mine, who is now upside down on his. If it happens to value over the residual, then I have equity, toward a down on another vehicle, or on a loan to own this one outright.
If you look at the average car owner, very few own the same vehicle for more than 3-5 years, so they are always taking on car payments anyway, so why not lease, and have a new, improved, warranteed vehicle every 3 years? Come 2018, the new camaro 1le might have 500+hp and get 30mpg!
FWIW, talk to dealers. 90% of them least
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Time View Post
Next time you're in the market for a vehicle write down your lease payments, then write down what they'll sell it to you for at the end of the term.
Then do the same for a car note to purchase the car. Lets say your lease is up in two years. Compare how much you would've paid in that time through the lease and through buying the car. (payment will likely be comparable.) look at how much you'd owe on the car after two years and compare it to how much they'll sell it to you for at the end of a lease.

You will owe less and your note will be less than the lease. Unless you have some small business tax advantage, then, for a personal vehicle, you are throwing money away leasing a car. period.

Do math!
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.

Last edited by Bodywerks; 02-28-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #33
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Also, modding a lease vehicle is no more of a risk than modding a purchased vehicle during the warranty period. Anything that bolts on that can be unbolted is perfectly ok, so long as it doesn't void the warranty. In fact, you can leave it on when you turn the vehicle in. But they won't be paying you for your add ons so it makes better sense to remove them.
If it may void the warranty, like reprogramming the ecm, it's not a smart idea, whether purchased or leased, if the warranty means anything to you.
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, l99, stock, straightpipe