Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 09-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Mightygrasshopper

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary edition 'vert
hydroplane!

Could be just me - but i've noticed the tendency for this car to hydroplane quite a bit. is it due to the big tires? i find myself having to drive quite slow/cautiously during heavy rains/pooling on the roads (relative to my previous cars).

www.mightygrasshopper.com
Into health, wellness and fitness? Check out my site for natural health product reviews, health articles and industry news.

Want to get into summer time shape? I'm a former fatty who's lost the weight - "Train With Me" for FREE - sexy abs in 16 weeks! Just follow along!
Mightygrasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygrasshopper View Post
Could be just me - but i've noticed the tendency for this car to hydroplane quite a bit. is it due to the big tires? i find myself having to drive quite slow/cautiously during heavy rains/pooling on the roads (relative to my previous cars).
Light rear end, gobs of torque, probably oil on the street, and yes the tires do contribute. I believe they are wider than standard tires but have the same amount of grooves relative to a 225 let's say so more rubber on the road but makes it easier to lift off.

Every car I've had has been this way so hydroplaning is now second nature to me, LOL.

Sent using my Droid Incredible via tapatalk

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:15 AM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
A lot of it is the tires. Summer/performance tires aren't the best for shedding water. They're designed to maximize contact area, but the more rubber you have on the road, the harder it is for water to escape. Then there is the overall width of the tire as well. The wider the tire, the harder it is to cut through the water down to the pavement. This is also why winter wheels and tires are highly recomended. If they can't deal with a bit of standing water, then snow, ice, and slush are going to be a lot worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly03 View Post
Light rear end, gobs of torque, probably oil on the street, and yes the tires do contribute. I believe they are wider than standard tires but have the same amount of grooves relative to a 225 let's say so more rubber on the road but makes it easier to lift off.

Every car I've had has been this way so hydroplaning is now second nature to me, LOL.

Sent using my Droid Incredible via tapatalk
Light rear end? The Camaro has a few hundred pounds more weight out back than 90% of the cars on the road today.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote