Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #29
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Any way someone can make a braket to make the catch can fit on the original Air Intake mounting bracket?

That will keep me from having to drill a whole in the CAI shield.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #30
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Any way someone can make a braket to make the catch can fit on the original Air Intake mounting bracket?

very doable i just would have to make some measurements where would you want the bottle? toward the front of the car? towards the engine? or towards the rear?
Rockin the BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #31
adub4185

Drives: 2010 2SS RS, 2023 Camaro ZLE
Send a message via AIM to adub4185
Quote:

I am really interested in a bracket for the same purposes. I would want the can to point towards the front of the car. I have been wanting to install an ADM scoop, but dont want to give up my washer fluid and want a more elegant solution than what I have seen elsewhere. This is by far the best execution of the relocation that I have seen.
adub4185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #32
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin the BlueSS View Post
very doable i just would have to make some measurements where would you want the bottle? toward the front of the car? towards the engine? or towards the rear?
For me I would probably want it towards the rear because my Halltech shield uses the same spot for mounting the shield.

I bet if you made the same bracket but with a straight tab you could make it universal to go in front, side, or rear of that bracket.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #33
PCOLASHAN

Drives: 2SS
How does the pump attach to the bottom of the can?? Thanks for the info, I'm about to add my scoop and I bought a different bottle...but I like this idea better Thanks for your help!!!
PCOLASHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #34
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

Quote:
For me I would probably want it towards the rear because my Halltech shield uses the same spot for mounting the shield.

I bet if you made the same bracket but with a straight tab you could make it universal to go in front, side, or rear of that bracket.
Sounds like a great idea, i will take some measurements tonight and maybe can make one tomorrow. Anyone know if that bolt is metric? that may cause a problem just because i dont have the nut anymore
Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #35
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

Ok i have been meaning to do this a while ago but got really busy, here is what you need to do to the catch can for this to work:

first the catch can:

everything besides the can can be tossed (i hold on to everything for my spare parts drawer)

the two tube ports must be removed from the bottom by unscrewing the metric screws.
(i don't have a picture of the bottom with the tube fittings on, if anyone does could you send them to me so i can add it here)

there are four holes in the bottom now, to large unthreaded holes and two small metric thread holes. these need to be plugged. i took a saw and cut the metric screws in half then slotted the top so i can use a screwdriver to thread the plugs in.

as for the large holes there are two ways to do them: when i first did this i took the grommet and the pump from the original tank and it fits very snug in one of the large holes. then made a heat shield to protect and hide the pump. Now i would recommend adding a small tube fitting to the bottom of the can and mounting the pump elsewhere (really doesn't matter as long as it is lower than the tank). to plug one or both of the holes you can tap them to 1/2-13 without drilling or drill to 29/64 and tap to 1/2-20.

the scratches in the paint are from the original tube fittings so most likely they will be on all the cans. try some touch up paint. but it is hidden pretty well...

to run the hose to the pump i purchased a 1/8" aluminum tube fitting that was anodized black. the thread on it was 10-32 to i drilled a hole with a #25 drill and tapped it to 10-32 and installed. once i new everything fit i installed all the plugs with a healthy amount of RTV black to make sure all was water tight.

Before the tank can be used you must vent the cap, otherwise it starts to pull a vacuum and wont let the water get to the pump. for my first tank i drilled a hole straight through the cap, it works but it is a little ugly. now i drill a hole from the bottom and stop before it goes all the way through then drill from the side to meet with the hole.

now we can take the bracket,

and use a longer 10-32 screw to mount in place of one of the original mounting bolts on the ADM race intake.

hope this helps, let me know if anything needs clarification or if i missed something or ...
Old 01-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #36
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

and does anyone have a good place that they would like to mount the pump? i can makle a bracket to put it almost anywhere (below the height of the reservoir) just need a location everyone likes.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #37
adub4185

Quote:
Sounds like a great idea, i will take some measurements tonight and maybe can make one tomorrow. Anyone know if that bolt is metric? that may cause a problem just because i dont have the nut anymore
I can check the nut size/thread tonight for you when I get home. I would just say put a hole in it big enough and reuse the existing nut.

Great write up on making the reservoir! I think I'll be buying one of these soon to do the same thing. I have no input on the pump location as I have not really dug around that side of the car, but I would say keep it close to the existing pump electrical connection so it does not have to be lengthened or anything.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #38
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

ya, i had to lengthen the electrical connector for my install. if the pump was mounted in the front bumper area it wouldn't need that and the same amount of hose would be used so we wouldn't need any additional.

ya, the hole would be large enough to clear the bolt, i just don't have the nut anymore so i cant tighten it down unless i find one in the shop somewhere...
Old 01-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #39
adub4185

Quote:
ya, i had to lengthen the electrical connector for my install. if the pump was mounted in the front bumper area it wouldn't need that and the same amount of hose would be used so we wouldn't need any additional.

ya, the hole would be large enough to clear the bolt, i just don't have the nut anymore so i cant tighten it down unless i find one in the shop somewhere...
I'll get you details on the nut tonight when I get home. Is there anywhere in the front bumper area with pre-drilled holes that we could attached the pump to? Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #40
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Here is our W/W fluid reservoir that will be available later this month. This is our first prototype. The version shown uses the stock lid taken directly from the OEM tank. We may switch to a screw-on type lid..or offer both.
This tank holds 7/8 of a gallon (14 cups) and mounts on the stud that is left exposed when using most CAI systems. It is molded to follow the lines of the car as well as the back wall of several CAI systems. It should work great with the Roto-fab, ADM and CAI inductions. It may work with others as well. It can be used with V8 or V6 cars.
We don't have the complete kit ready for market, but we were anxious to show you our progress so far!

Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #41
SSAINT

Drives: "11 2SS/RS VR vert BG/BG SW stripes
Now that make sense! Better than a bag and looks like it came from the factory. Good Job!

Any thought on price yet?

Last edited by SSAINT; 01-04-2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: further question
SSAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #42
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

looks great! price range?