Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 01-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #29
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
Close till 50..... cake walk after
+1
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #30
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

Drives: E63AMG
Ehhh...maybe he could, but the Infinity is a gizmo'd out Soccer-Dad car...boring. I don't care if they put a rocket engine in it...still boring. It has no soul. I looked at them a while back and was unimpressed. It's an awesome car, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't do anything for me personally.

If it is the AWD one, yeah it could get you off the line. But again most any AWD car will. I could probably get ya in my dad's Subaru station wagon for the first 50 feet. Doesn't make me want one though:-)
Prior Project Cars: 96 WS6, 96 Steeda Cobra, 93/74/99/01ZO6 Vettes, Supra Turbo, and BMW M3.
LYCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #31
08-G35s/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYCAN View Post
Ehhh...maybe he could, but the Infinity is a gizmo'd out Soccer-Dad car...boring. I don't care if they put a rocket engine in it...still boring. It has no soul. I looked at them a while back and was unimpressed. It's an awesome car, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't do anything for me personally.

If it is the AWD one, yeah it could get you off the line. But again most any AWD car will. I could probably get ya in my dad's Subaru station wagon for the first 50 feet. Doesn't make me want one though:-)
Well thanks, I appreciate the compliment...

Boring ?? Boring ?? Try the Acura TL/RL(almost anything Acura, TSX 6-speed is sorta fun), Lexus IS350/IS250/ES350(anything Lexus), Audi A4, Mercedes C-class, and so on... Oh on the 3 series, I don't see how a car that drives like a rwd Mini Cooper and has fake leather, no seat heaters, no nav, no power seats @ $35-40k is fun ?? Sounds boring as hell to me... test drove one, they ride worse then any other car I have ever been in(worse than Mini Cooper Clubman S), the steering is way overboosted and there's no content in the package, if you get me... Learn how to spell too, please. *Infiniti
This car has more soul in it then, IMO, any other car in it's class ! Fun as hell to drive yet it doesn't beat your ass as you drive down the road !
Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #32
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

Drives: E63AMG
The Infinity is a top-notch car without a doubt, don't get me wrong: reliable, comfortable, and great quality control. My brother is lusting after one. My opinion is just that...an opinion. Everybody has one like a butthole. To me, buying one as a performance car is just not going to do it...for me. I hate my BMW M3 also...it's just a yuppie car. It is boring to me because it is all electronic gizmo'd out. That doesn't mean its a bad car. I've had so many darn cars over the years that my sense of "exciting" and "boring" might be a bit skewed. Just want you to know I wasn't trying to insult anyone's ride. On forums people can get a bit fiesty. At the end of the day we are all car enthusiasts, and my comments might have been a little strong---I was in a grumpy mood this AM. Seriously...the Infinity is a top-shelf car with MUCH better build quality than a Camaro...no doubt. Also, to me I find the current generation Vettes a bit boring with no sense of "soul". They just don't do it for me...unless it's the ZR1:-) The Vette is totally an "old man mid-life crisis car" ha ha ha. That's why I owned four of them....gulp !!! Wait...I am an old man WTH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
Well thanks, I appreciate the compliment...

Boring ?? Boring ?? Try the Acura TL/RL(almost anything Acura, TSX 6-speed is sorta fun), Lexus IS350/IS250/ES350(anything Lexus), Audi A4, Mercedes C-class, and so on... Oh on the 3 series, I don't see how a car that drives like a rwd Mini Cooper and has fake leather, no seat heaters, no nav, no power seats @ $35-40k is fun ?? Sounds boring as hell to me... test drove one, they ride worse then any other car I have ever been in(worse than Mini Cooper Clubman S), the steering is way overboosted and there's no content in the package, if you get me... Learn how to spell too, please. *Infiniti
This car has more soul in it then, IMO, any other car in it's class ! Fun as hell to drive yet it doesn't beat your ass as you drive down the road !
Prior Project Cars: 96 WS6, 96 Steeda Cobra, 93/74/99/01ZO6 Vettes, Supra Turbo, and BMW M3.
LYCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #33
shinzon
Night Fury

Drives: 2014 ZL1
these threads are soooooooo internet douchy.....

you stir everyone up and then either never threw down or dont follow up the thread.

2014 Black ZL1 - Toothless -
Previous Lovers :2014 1LE , 2010 2SS RS,2004 GTO, 2000 Camaro SS x 2
shinzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #34
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
vids? You should take him pretty easily.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #35
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
I ran 2 of them at the track when I was stock and they werent even close. Go run your friend and rub it in his face. Simple as that.
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #36
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
A while back I was passing a car in 2nd gear at 45 mph(in the wet) and the rear end skittered left then right and slipped, just an example. The VQ35HR is renown for it's torque curve, it packs a helluva lot more punch down low and in the midrange than just about any other V6 out there, J-series in Acuras/Hondas comes to mind; the HR had more high end punch than the previous VQ35 and revved higher as well. I want more torque, but it certainly moves itself with authority. Look at some of the dyno results out there for a VQ35HR to see what I mean(nearly flat V8-like torque curve, even my friend thought it was a V8, when I told him it was a V6 his gut instinct was "Really ?? Dang..."), you also say that it "has no balls off the line" in relativety(i.e. subjective opinion), sure an SS has no balls off the line compared to a Corvette ZR1.
The only thing the VQ is know for is its horrible balance, which is why every review you read states that the pedals and shifter vibrate in the higher RPM's making for an unpleasent driving experience.

As for torque curve, the VQ35 is nothing impressive. My 2.0 4 cylinder turbo puts out better numbers at lower RPM's. As compared to the LS3, that is a joke. The LS3 pulls like a diesel at low and midrange RPMs, the VQ doesn't make any significant power or torque until you are much higher in the powerband.
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #37
08-G35s/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
The only thing the VQ is know for is its horrible balance, which is why every review you read states that the pedals and shifter vibrate in the higher RPM's making for an unpleasent driving experience.

As for torque curve, the VQ35 is nothing impressive. My 2.0 4 cylinder turbo puts out better numbers at lower RPM's. As compared to the LS3, that is a joke. The LS3 pulls like a diesel at low and midrange RPMs, the VQ doesn't make any significant power or torque until you are much higher in the powerband.
Drive a Cadillac CTS, BMW 330i(2006 or earlier), Acura TL, 300-hp Acura RL, 268-hp Mercedes C350, Lexus GS300, Audi S4(The 340-hp 4.2 V8 one), or a a Subie WRX then you will see how superior it is too many vehicles in it's class, though it trades power/speed for refinement, like a deal with the devil. Then you will see what I mean, the predecessor to the VQ35DE was a V6-powerplant specifecally designed to give maximum mid-range punch. The VQ35HR was designed to do that, and then some in the upper range, by adding over 1,000 rpm to redline(6,500 to 7,750), therefore giving more horsepower(hence the HR has about as much torque as the DE, but on an even flatter torque curve). Go out and test drive a 300-hp J35a4-powered Acura RL or a 304-hp CTS and you will see the VQ as the torquiest of the group, with much stronger mid-range(Though Honda's liquid smooth J35/J37 V6's do have strong upper ranges, thanks to i-Vtec; they are usually hindered by Honda's 5-speed autos, which slow them down considerably and shortshift). Look at the torque curve, nearly completely flat, if you say that a flat torque curve is not impressive, then what is an impressive torque curve ? Here is a VQ35HR... Look now, I NEVER said anything insinuating that an LS3 was limp-wristed in the torque department or that your Cavalier, err Cobalt, was lacking either, since it is turbocharged. I am guessing Cobalt, then again could be a GTi ? Evo maybe ? Obviously not a Trans Am with an I-4 thrown in there, I would hope not at least...

Last edited by 08-G35s/6MT; 02-05-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:43 AM   #38
BigDan

Drives: bug
I've been looking at 07-08 G35x prices and noticed that their value dropped fast. They are going for $20k-$23k with under 40k miles. New they were $42k+ so this seems to be a steal and I'm now looking at getting the S model with sport seats and magnesium paddle shifters all on the AWD. I was also cross shopping and found a 09 Forester XT (224hp wrx turbo 4 speed auto) Limited with leather in the Graphite/ Tan color I want for the same price of $22k. The Infinity is a much nicer car but the Forester would be a lot more versatile for my wife and american bulldog. I wish I could afford both, Forester XT for her and G35xs for me heck I might as well make it a G37xs
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:08 AM   #39
08-G35s/6MT

I got my 2008 model for $26k in late 2009, traded in my 05 Acura RL. Wanted a G35xS, but they only made those in automatic and the xS was only for 2008 and it was $30k+, was looking for lower car payment to help pay off some other stuff. Wouldn't mind the auto normally, but wanted something funner after several years in that slow shifting RL that sapped power from it, it was rated 300 hp when new, but needed 6.5-7.5 seconds to hit 60 mph ?!?! It also implemented expensive carbon-fiber composite driveshaft and aluminum panels/suspension/etc. all in order to save weight, hell it even had Bose noise active cancelation(speakers emitted white noise to somehow put a damper on road noise) in place of some sound insulation; all of this added up to a 4,000 lb mid size car. I needed something lighter, slightly cheaper, and more exciting, so this is how I ended up where I am.

If you get a G, try to get a fully loaded one ! Mine has 4 wheel steering, radar cruise control(which brakes automatically), nav, backup camera, AFS(turning headlights), chromed factory wheels(thank you la wheel and tire), seat heaters, RCA jacks(watch movies from iphone, listen to music from iphone etc.), it also has a 9.5 GB hard drive that you can rip cd's onto, Bose Studio on Wheels, and of course the Sport package which includes the following- aero kit, limited slip(which helps in snow/wet noticeably), stiffened suspension, stronger bigger brakes, shaped steering wheel, sport seats, etc. Love this car, alot for the money. It has direct, confident BMW-like precision steering with great brakes and no body roll too, plus best in-class interior room as well...

Cons-loud sometimes, feels "hollow" at points when driving(hard to explain, drive a BMW or Acura or Mercedes then drive this and you will know, such as accelerating fiercely onto highway onramp or at higher speeds), and hmm... I guess traction ? Well X will solve that problem, it has a snow mode that locks the diff 50/50 up to 35 mph. Oh, the clutch is horrible in this and you get bad vibes with the 6MT, looking back I should've gotten the 5AT.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #40
BigDan

Drives: bug
What is the main route people take when they want to go forced induction? Stillen supercharger, twin turbos, high and low boost options?
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #41
08-G35s/6MT

Stillen supercharger is the way to go unless your pockets are deep, should net around 440 rwhp and 343 lb-ft(@ the rear wheels). There are twin-turbo setups out there from GTM that cost much more, but net 500-800+ rwhp(GTM is developing one for the latter number or higher currently). But since sounds like you may go for the X and it is therefore auto, I would go with Stillen. The Whole kit is $5,899 for a Stillen Supercharger on a VQ37 G37
Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #42
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Infinitis are slow and have no potential. If you buy one to race you're nothing more than a moron. Buy it to be comfortable but not to look good or go fast.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote