Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
Full Red Line Synthetic Oil Change (Engine Oil, Tranny, and Diff) with Review & Pics

Hey Guys,

Well it is about that time to change all the fluids again. Car has 23k miles and wanted to do a full oil change. My engine oil was in dire need of a change anyways. This time I changed all the fluids with Red Line Synthetic Oils. The engine oil, transmission fluid, and rear differential were changed at the same time. So I wanted to make a review showing any differences i might have felt. So I asked my friend if I can borrow his lift and went to work this past weekend.

The first thing I changed out was the engine oil. The previous oil I had in the car was Castrol Edge Titanium. I changed it out for Red Line Synthetic 10w30 Oil. The engine oil change was a pretty straight forward. The Castrol engine oil smelled pretty bad, but that is probably because i am running a little rich and havent changed my oil in a while. Filled up 8 quarts and have 1 more for back up.

Now i moved onto the transmission fluid change. The previous oil I had in there was the Mobil 1 ATF fluid. I changed it to Red Line D4 ATF fluid. Pretty straight forward change again. The old fluid wasn't that bad, but wanted to change everything for ease of mind. Chevy was nice enough to label fill and drain screws, so there shouldn't be any mix ups lol. So I hooked up a pump and pumped in 4 courts D4 ATF. Pretty easy to do as well, especially with a lift.

Lastly, there was the differential fluid. The previous fluid I was running was the Mobil 1 stuff that is like the factory fluid. Last time i changed it was around the 2-3k mile mark. So i changed it again to the Red Line 75w90 gear oil. Everything would have went smoothly, but right after i finished cleaning the pump i used for the transmission I broke it and couldn't use it. So I improvised and used the gravity technique with a really long hose. I added half a bottle of the GM friction modifier, even though you don't have to with this fluid. The rear diff only takes 1 quart and finally I was all done.

So now for the review. I could tell instantly that the transmission was less notchy and smoother. Even after sitting all night and driving it in the morning, the transmission was smoother and less rough in cold weather. So was happy about that. The rear differential had a difference too. I changed out all the diff bushings just recently so it had some noise coming through the cabin. The whining of stiffer bushings everywhere. I could notice that the whine was less noticeable and quieter. The whine is still there, but that's what I expect from having changed every single bushing on the car and having stiff suspension. I am just happy it decreased the noise on the street and highway. Lastly, was the engine oil. Its hard to tell the differences without a dyno and if people say they feel the difference they are lying. Cause it will be impossible to feel a 1-2hp gain lol. Especially when you already have 600 rwhp. Now if your going from Dino oil to synthetic you could feel some differences I bet (Like in smoothness and what not). I did notice that my MPG went up a little, but I think that was because my oil was really old. I haven't done a track test yet, but I am sure the fluids will keep up with anything I throw at it.

So my final verdict is that Red Line has some great products. If you are deciding to change your fluids out in your Camaro or any car that Redline should be one of your top options. You cant go wrong with Red Line, they only use top quality stuff and are used by many racing teams. Overall your car will feel much smoother and be protected. A+ for Red Line.

Last edited by gotpball44; 07-16-2012 at 01:39 PM.
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
good write up.... you should get a sales gig at red line....
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINE1991 View Post
good write up.... you should get a sales gig at red line....
lol thanks, I did just graduate hahaha hmmmm..... jk
Old 07-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpball44 View Post
lol thanks, I did just graduate hahaha hmmmm..... jk
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
What new engine filter did you put on? How long do you plan on leaving the Redline in? Utilize Redline to 100% of its capabilites and benefits. Redline is one of the best oils for non extended OCI's and track days where draining intervals are more frequent because it is a Group V Ester based 100% synthetic oil. But, if you run Redline like it is a plain old oil, change it way before its intended use life cycle and use just an average cellulose filter or PurePower Stainless wanna be filter, then you are totally wasting your money.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
What new engine filter did you put on? How long do you plan on leaving the Redline in? Utilize Redline to 100% of its capabilites and benefits. Redline is one of the best oils for non extended OCI's and track days where draining intervals are more frequent because it is a Group V Ester based 100% synthetic oil. But, if you run Redline like it is a plain old oil, change it way before its intended use life cycle and use just an average cellulose filter or PurePower Stainless wanna be filter, then you are totally wasting your money.

I changed it with a Mobil 1 oil filter that I had laying around. Really depends on when i will change it. Cause I do track my car and drive it hard sometimes, but also DD my car. So it just depends on on how hard I drove with the oil. It will be 5k plus miles though i think. I will push it to its capabilities tho.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Where did you get the Redline ATF fluid for the transmission?
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Where did you get the Redline ATF fluid for the transmission?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Good stuff. But I gotta ask,...whats the deal with everyone posting pics of oil bottles and boxes?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #10
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Good stuff. But I gotta ask,...whats the deal with everyone posting pics of oil bottles and boxes?
Just wanted to show you what was going into the car. Some people like visuals better hahahaha
Old 07-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #11
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
interesting write up and photo session..... entertaining I guess?

you wrote it in the classical style with a topic, intro, body, and conclusion which is kind of weird unless you are trying to hone your journalism or literary skills.....lol. also,thank you for the high quality pics of dripping fluids. ;-)
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
interesting write up and photo session..... entertaining I guess?

you wrote it in the classical style with a topic, intro, body, and conclusion which is kind of weird unless you are trying to hone your journalism or literary skills.....lol. also,thank you for the high quality pics of dripping fluids. ;-)
Lol didnt even notice. Maybe its just a habbit. Wanted to take pics of the fluid so people can see the color of the fluid after that mileage.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
when and how often are you supposed to change out the trans and diff fluid?

2010 2SS RS --- SOLD
MODS-
Performance: BMR trailing arms & bushings | BMR Toe links | X-pipe | Muffler delete | Vmax ported throttle body | Apex "strong" MAS | Vararam CAI | Apex catch can | Kooks Headers | Kooks HF Cats | Dyno tuned by GPI 417 RWHP 409 FT-Lb
Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers | Zl1 grill | AAC side markers | AAC LED backup lights | windows tint | taillight tint | JDP tow hook | all emblems blacked out | LED fogs
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #14
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpball44 View Post
Just wanted to show you what was going into the car. Some people like visuals better hahahaha
LOL
True, most wont read a book without pictures.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote