Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
Stimpy

Drives: 2015 camaro rs v6
After market hood scoop 2015 Camaro(and introducing myself)

Hi there, I am fairly new to this forum. Because I am also a new owner of a 2015 camaro rs V6.
I am Arnold and come from the Netherlands where a V8 in this kind of car is way more expensive to have and maintain.
But i am really happy to own this beautiful car.
I was once on a trip to the SEMA when I rented an camaro ss, that is when I new I had to have one here in the netherlands.

I know mine is not standard like it is now. But I really like this combination.

I also like the scoop design, but the fiber glass starts to get wobbly and I can see some cracks. So i plan on making this thing laser straight again and give it a new glossy black paint.

But as it is now, it is completely closed and pure estetics.
I would like to open it up and print some nice fitting vents for it.

But my concern is, will it serve anything if I open it up? I think it will get some heat out.

The way it is now, on rainy days it becomes an aquarium because water can't go anywhere.
But if I open it up, water will flow over the engine. I wonder what kind of problems could that result in.
Occasionally I will get some snow in there also.

Ok, I'll show some pics so you know what I am talking about.

What do you guys think of it and what are your thoughts of opening up the vents.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stimpy; 06-15-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Hey Arnold, the pics didn’t come through. There are some aftermarket options or putting a stock insert back in is always there too. Once pics are up it will be easier to give some advice.

Welcome to the forum!
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
Stimpy

Thanks, I managed to get the pics in.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:22 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
It will definitely help to keep the underhood heat down. The factory version is also supposed to help prevent front end lift at high speed on the ZL1.

My main concern would be controlling the water that drains through. The factory version usually has a drip tray that routes the water safely away from sensitive components.

Beautiful car btw.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
hudson773
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 camaro SS
you should weight the amount of work and money involved in opening it up with a PROPER drainage system vs getting an OEM SS hood, either new or used that is designed to work, not just look like it works. just my .02
hudson773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #6
Stimpy

I agree, but because i am from the netherlands everything costs 2 times what it costs in the vs.

And in my case there won't be that much money involved because I can do everything myself.

There is another thread on this forum where a lot of people add a hood vent without the proper drainage.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
It all depends on where the water is actually draining. If it is dumping onto your intake manifold and injectors or pooling next to the valve covers/intake then I would say you definitely need drainage - because who wants that?

But if it dumps in front of the engine, after the belts/accessories, it won't be nearly as much a problem. These cars have an enormous amount of room in between the accessories and radiator. Also consider how the car is stored or parked. Is it in a garage or carport most of the time?
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:56 PM   #8
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Man that’s a killer interior!! I also did the 14-15 hood vent to my 2010 but you would need to find a 2014-15 SS with the vent installed and the rain tray and you would be good.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #9
Stimpy

Thanks, at first I thought this interior was just an standard option.
But after searching the internet I can't find the same.
Do you know if this was an option or something? Or is this complete after market.

Regarding the scoop, after 6 weeks my hollidays start and then i'll take a look under the hood and see if I can make a good drain system underneith.
I think its doable.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:12 PM   #10
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy View Post
Thanks, at first I thought this interior was just an standard option.
But after searching the internet I can't find the same.
Do you know if this was an option or something? Or is this complete after market.

Regarding the scoop, after 6 weeks my hollidays start and then i'll take a look under the hood and see if I can make a good drain system underneith.
I think its doable.
That’s the Pre 70’s interior option. LOL
It’s looks really good and not too much like the 70 1/2 Camaro RS I had many years ago that had deep blue diamond tucked interior. It was everywhere including roof panel. Removed it ASAP, but yours is very tasteful.
Good luck with hood vent.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote