Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #15
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
My 2010 1LT Camaro has never burned a drop of oil. She has 40K plus miles on her. She been raced & driven hard. Oil changed every 3000 mi. Used Mobile 1 for first few years now use Pennzoil ultra Platinum. Guess I have been pretty lucky so far. Hope you can get your issue resolved.
But you post how much oil your Catch Can catches! Where do you think That Oil comes from?
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #16
mma

Drives: 1LE
seems like this is a hit or miss for some users, which unfortunately adds onto the weirdness. not running a catch can myself, not entirely convinced about that, but that's another thread

500 miles later, didn't lose any oil apparently.. which is good (and weird).. hopefully it stays like that... still notice some oil in the exhaust, probably from the first excess loss

going to do my first oil change (new engine) at 3k miles using Dexos 1 and report back for any changes, thanks for all the insights thus far
mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:54 PM   #17
W4rMach1ne

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT1
I notice about a half of QT of oil is consumed every 1.5-2k miles. I just top it off and change around 3k to 4k.
W4rMach1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:01 AM   #18
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Agreed. I never go the 5K mile interval that is recommended for Dexos 1. I change oil 3K to 4K.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:56 PM   #19
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
I wonder, are those with oil consumption issues mainly highway or city driven camaros?
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:44 AM   #20
W4rMach1ne

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT1
I do a fair mix of both. I just check my oil every fill up or two weeks, whichever comes first. I also have been adding in Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer instead of Mobil 1 when I top it off once or twice before I get my oil changed with Mobil 1.
W4rMach1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #21
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
But you post how much oil your Catch Can catches! Where do you think That Oil comes from?
The amount it catches is not that much. Better in the can than the engine.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #22
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Same. Will use nothing for a few oil change intervals and then during one I'll suddenly find it's down 1 quart. I haven't linked it to weather, might very well be the issue (I live in New England). It's usually garaged and might be when it's parked overnight outside (or long stops) during winter and perhaps it consumes more oil when the engine is cold. Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfolarry View Post
I have a 2010 that's always used oil. The problem is you never know when it's going to start drinking it. I check the oil usually every other fill up & it's fine. Then one time I'll check it & it's 2 quarts low. Doesn't matter city or highway driving. I take a regular trip to Ohio. One time it doesn't use any. Next time 2 quarts. I should have gone for a new engine when it was under warranty. Always have a couple quarts in the trunk. Tried 10W30 no difference. It does do better with Penzoil than Mobil. No leaks. Catch can maybe 2-3 oz's when I change the oil.
I always thought it had something to do with the direct injection. I remember back in 1990 I bought a new Kenworth with a Cummins Big Cam 4 in it. Had a similar problem. Truck went in for repair on a different problem & I told the service guy about it. He said they had a problem with the spray pattern on the injectors & would change them out. Never used any oil after that.
Seeing all the fancy piston designs they're coming up with for direct injection makes me wonder.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote