Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-12-2020, 09:53 PM   #99
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ28 View Post
Wow I just went through this thread....almost reads like a book. What adventures!
Thanks for the positive feedback. I enjoy writing and sharing my experiences, and keeping this journal has been good for me as well!
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #100
rocknroll_jeph

Here is an update on the steering issues. It was not the pump like I thought it was, after checking it out the steering rack seals has failed and I had an entire new steering rack installed. With parts and labor here in Beijing is cost around $440.

The first time I started up the car the steering wheel pulsed when turning at low speeds but after leaving the parking lot the shaking never returned. Does anyone have any idea why it would do that? I was thinking that there may have been some air in the pneumatic lines or the fluid had not made its way into all the chambers?

I've already taken it out running errands and after building up trust my girlfriend and I went out to the mountains to hike a few days ago and there were no issues.

In fact the steering feels tighter than it ever has since I bought the car. I always noticed a bit of a rubbing sound when turning the wheel at low speeds before but like an idiot just ignored it because I thought it wasn't anything, but now with hindsight I think that there was a problem in the steering for a while.

Anyway, throw money at a problem, the problem goes away and just in time because there is a track day this Saturday and I plan to put the car through its paces. I haven't been on the track in my Camaro in over a year and in that time I have fixed the wobbly wheels, added a 4 point harness and repaired the steering. I can't wait for Saturday!!
Old 07-15-2020, 04:54 AM   #101
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Where you racing??
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:21 PM   #102
rocknroll_jeph

Yesterday was track day and I had a blast, only problem the car kept overheating so I needed to take a cool down lap a few times each session, but at least I got 4 sessions in and put down more than 20 laps. As always, the people at the track is what makes a great event. I am getting to know quite a few of the organizers and regulars but it is also nice to meet so many new people and even though we are different in so many ways, we can always find a common ground to talk and learn from each other. The community consists of all types, there was a 23 year old driving a Tesla Model 3, and it was his first time on the track and then there are those who's cars are fully caged and prepped and showed up in race suits, but everyone had smiles on their faces, and enjoyed the day sharing the love of driving.

As a driver, I can feel improvements from the last time I drove the Camaro on a track. I have a friend who used to drive professionally in Europe ride with me in the warm up session and he gave me some advice on the line (I improved my time 3 seconds since last time) and another guy I met yesterday who drives in F3 also gave me a lot of solid advice on setting up the car and reminding me to just drive smooth. In my group I had the fastest time, so I feel very good about that however, I had the most experience and we were just out there to have a good time. Everyone in the group made improvements every session so to me that is a win for everyone. The drivers in my group were some of the coolest and most down to earth people and even though we all met for the first time just got a long so well from the start.

One big surprise I had was the owner of a GTR asked me to join him for lunch, using his spoiler as a table. The food was just ok, but that was an experience I'll never forget. He did tell me that the whole car was wrapped and his shop specialized in vinyl wrapping so he wasn't concerned. Ever since I saw pictures of the GTR for the first time I have been in love with that car, so using it as a table was a real treat for me!

The track day wasn't without any problems. As I have mentioned before there, most tracks here in China don't adhere to standard safety briefings like I am used to in the states. In fact, yesterday there was no drivers meeting or safety lessons and a few people were first time track drivers.

It had rained the night before and when we arrived the track was still damp. Before the official event began, the organizers opened the track for driving on so that new drivers could get the lines and understand the layout. Unfortunately a driver in an very new Audi All-Road took it a bit too seriously and at the end of the long straightaway understeered his way into a tire wall... then through the fence and up onto a brick wall, knocking down a large section of the wall and balancing his car on the remaining wall. They called in a crane to lift the car off and hastily repaired the wall the best they could. Later in the day a new driver also missed the braking point on a tight U turn and pushed her (also very new and shiny) Mercedes AMG GLA into a wall. On that same corner a guy in my group experienced slight brake fade in his BMW M2 and went into the grass and got some red and white paint from the tire wall rubbed onto his bumper. At least there was only damaged egos and money can take care of the rest.

The new steering rack feels better than the old one and had no issues at all. Since the last time I was on the track I have put on fresh brake pads and installed the 4 point harness. Braking feel was excellent and I didn't cook the pads this time (last time they were smoking) and it was so nice to feel planted in the seat and not have to brace myself for while driving. However, like the last time I was out overheating was an issue that did put a damper on my mood.

I am thinking about first trying VP coolant in the radiator. If that doesn't work then I guess I will have to upgrade the radiator or add an oil cooler. The hood is already vented and I have taken off the engine cover so I don't know what else to do. If anyone out there has any solutions, I would be very willing to hear how other have dealt with cooling on the track.

Finally, social distancing and mask wearing... I know right now in the states Covid 19 is worse than it has ever been anywhere else in the world, but China has done such a good job of controlling everything that after the flair up in the market (which is on the opposite side of Beijing from where I live) it has already been 2 weeks since any reported cases within Beijing. Still, people tried to keep distance when possible. Most everyone had a mask and I was washing my hands as much as possible. Most everyone I talked to have mentioned that they have been tested recently and test results are returned under 48 hours so we all felt pretty safe and confident but at the same time, this seems like the new normal, no shaking hands when we meet someone new and keeping a distance when possible.

As always, I can't wait for the next event. After the first part of this year being stuck inside it is so nice to get out and play with my car. Oh, and I didn't put on sunblock... rookie mistake. I'm feeling that now...
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #103
rocknroll_jeph

Its that time of year again, annual inspection. After reading what David Tracy went through in Germany on Jalopnik I don't feel too bad about what I have to do in Beijing.

I replace the CAI with the stock one, put back on the stock hood, side skirts and tail lights and remove the splitter. I also retune the car to the original settings as well. It takes me about 2 hours in total, and except for some stubborn nuts and bolts it went well.

This year the difference was that I moved into an apartment so I did all the work in the parking lot instead of in my driveway like in the past.

The good news is that this place has an underground parking so my car won't be in the elements like it was at my old place, bad news is that I had to downsize and now there are car parts around the house annoying my girlfriend. However, she is starting to think on how to use the car parts to decorate. We are planning of making a stand for the other hood and using that as a backing for a bed in the spare room. I don't know how to decorate with stock brake calipers though. I think those will stay in a box in a corner somewhere.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2020, 03:15 AM   #104
rocknroll_jeph

Weekend Drive to the Great Wall

Fall is always one of the most enjoyable times of year for me. This weekend we went up to the Great Wall for a day trip, I had to post a few pictures because I wore my Camaro 5 hoodie, which by now has seen better days, but still is one of the most comfortable hoodies I have.

I still get a kick out of seeing the Great Wall through the windshield of my Camaro. The drive is only about 1 hour from my house and the weather was perfect for an easy hike, but now its Monday and I'm back at work thinking about where we can go this weekend...
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2020, 01:16 AM   #105
rocknroll_jeph

Fall Photos

It is no secret that fall is my favorite time of year. I was on my way to teach a student and took the scenic route. Fortunately I had some extra time and snapped a few quick photos before continuing on my way.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with my tail lights, because my car was a made for China export the wiring is different than the USDM version so for the technostolgia tail lights to function I needed to do some creative writing. The outer still have the sequential turns and the inner are brakes only. Not the way I would have hoped, but at least it works with local traffic laws.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #106
DC113

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro SS
Awesome! Keep the posts coming you have a beautiful car. Do you remember where you got that front splitter?
DC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:07 AM   #107
rocknroll_jeph

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC113 View Post
Awesome! Keep the posts coming you have a beautiful car. Do you remember where you got that front splitter?
Thanks for the support and encouragement!

I bought the splitter from a random seller on Taobao (Chinese amazon like shopping site) many years ago, I have been looking to buy a new one, as this one is showing its age, but I can't find them anymore.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:22 PM   #108
rocknroll_jeph

I had a great day at the track this past Saturday. The weather was cool but there were very few cars, maybe 10-15 participants with 4 or so on the track at once. Here in China, track days are run a bit different.

Basically pay your money and go on the track when ever you like. Which means there are no groups or classes and not many rules. Passing is allowed where ever you feel like it and street cars are share the track with fully caged race cars.

There were a few times where cars left the track after drivers pushing the car's limits and red flags were put up, but drivers were all out there to have fun so there was no aggressive driving or on track bullying.

Because of there being so few cars I had more time on a track then ever before. My V6 went through a 3/4 tank of gas and I wore the front brakes down so much the slots wore down and disappeared in some places.

I haven't been on that track in quite a few years. I improved my time by over 4 seconds, and I think a lot of it has to do with the mods I did to my car.

The last time I was there I let my my friend (who is a professional race car driver) take my car out and drove it like he stole it- he was much more aggressive than I was anyway. His lap time was 1:23 driving my car on a circuit where he drove his Ford Focus Touring Car to a 3rd place over all victory a few weeks prior to that track day.

Last weekend, with the road cold and not much grip I got into the low 1:22's. I think with the traction control off and warmer tires I could shave off more time. I was driving at 90% of what I thought I could do. I noticed that the car was washing out late in the corners and in one corner's exit the TC would come on every time and cut power. I used the car in manual mode and because of the gear spacing only needed 2nd and 3rd great. I just realized the gap between the gears is huge. If it was in Forza I would have made the gears much closer!

Another benefit to track days in China is that I went through a club and they have dedicated mechanics for the members. So I had a guy checking my tire pressure and lug nuts between my session and giving me feedback on the car's temps and suggestions of settings which really helped me a lot. Next time I won't bring a garage's worth of tools with me.

My car's in my friends shop right now (the same one who drove it on the track all those years ago) getting new brake disks and a radiator clean and hopefully it will be ready to go for the next track day which I see is a week from Saturday...

I can't wait to get out again!
Old 03-05-2021, 02:39 AM   #109
rocknroll_jeph

Here are some pictures from last weekend's fun.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2021, 04:57 AM   #110
futureZ

Drives: 11 camaro 2lt rs
Looks like you had some bad luck rocknroll_jeph. Ended up on your roof in your last pic. 😁
futureZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:37 AM   #111
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Damn this makes me miss China so much. It’s the greatest country I ever traveled too and will be back once this whole pandemic is over in the USA.

How many other camaros do you ever see there? When I went I dident see any and only saw a mustang.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:29 PM   #112
rocknroll_jeph

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureZ View Post
Looks like you had some bad luck rocknroll_jeph. Ended up on your roof in your last pic. 😁
Ha, thanks.. the internet has been so bad lately I didn't even realize the pictures posted successfully. I'll just ask everyone to kindly turn their computers upside down when looking at that photo.