Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-19-2020, 11:32 PM   #1
DJDBumblebee

Drives: 2012 2LS Coupe
Exclamation Strange whirring noise coming from defrost in 2012 LS2 Camaro

https://youtu.be/vmF3yIlddCE

I'm completely confused by what this noise could be. I know for sure it isn't the blend door. I replaced it a year ago by cutting through the trim by the drivers side floorboard. It's still accessible and that's not the issue, as the sound is not coming from down there. I certainly didn't hit the heater core, either, so it's not related to the blend door. I replaced the cabin air filter a few weeks ago hoping it would fix it, but it changed nothing. I'll check the fresh air plumbing, but it doesn't do it for any other vents when the fresh air is active, so I doubt it's that, either. My car is garage kept and I don't park under trees, so I can't think of how anything may have wound up in there. The serpentine belt is new, replaced it last year, and I know it's not the compressor or the condenser. It sounds like a bearing in a fan, coming from where the windshield meets the dash and can be heard from both inside and outside the vehicle.

If you turn the volume up and hold the speaker up to your ear, or use headphones, you can hear it clearly in the video. It only does it on defrost, not any other vent option, regardless of if the recirculation button is on or off.

I went for the simplest repairs first but it's still making the same noise. I'm hoping to figure out what it is soon. I'm at a loss.
DJDBumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, defrost