Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 01-02-2021, 04:43 PM   #29
supersnake05

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2014 Chevy SS
My wife had an 04 GTO, I had an 08 G8 GT, the wife now has a 14 SS, I also had a 14 SS (very short time) but I freaking love these cars so much. They hold their values pretty well also.
supersnake05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:16 AM   #30
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Unfortunately Pontiac got the political ax. In the bailouts from the government, as I understand it, GM had to cut so much "fat" in order to get the money and the government said you already have a reasonably priced every person everyday kind of car manufacturer. It's either Chevy or Pontiac and Chevy is too big to kill.

That said, I think the G8 would have done magnificent had it been given a proper chance. To me it should have been a Bonneville, or Grand Prix with the marketing campaign they started for the '08's where it was the most powerful car you could buy for under $30k ($29,995 with zero options). Also, they made the G8 virtually uncustomizable. You could get a sunroof, sport package which was some fancy pedals and 19" wheels, leather package which gave you leather and an option for red inserts, and that was about it. I get that the car was coming over from Australia, but it could have been a big hit if they'd moved it to America or had a plant in America and Australia because the Charger has DOMINATED the sport sedan market with wild and crazy engines.

Also, the SS had the interior the G8 should have had, or the G8 had the exterior the SS should have had. Whichever way you want to look at it, the SS is an awesome car, but is very vanilla when it comes to exterior styling, IMO and the G8, while I still want another one, had very minimal interior styling and the darn hazard light button was a giant pile of garbage (if you've owned one, you know what I'm talking about). I think the G8 could have been a BIG hit for Pontiac if done differently, but as a sideline quarterback I think I could do a lot of things better at GM.

If GM, Ford, and basically everyone else wasn't killing off non-sports cars there could absolutely be a market for it. The problem is that everyone wants a SUV, truck, or crossover right now. To be honest, I'm surprised that Cadillac is still pumping out as many cars as they are. However, I didn't know that the CTS was officially dead yet so I looked up the CT5-V. What the f*** is this 2.0L 4 cylinder "V series" garbage?! Even the CT6-V has a very small displacement V8 with 4.2L, even though it's twin turbo. I'll give it that the CT6-V is quick, but wow. At least the 6 still has a V8. The CT5-V is 360hp and 405lb-ft torque. That's kinda sad especially since the ATS-V was over 400hp. What GM needs to do is come out with a performance SUV to answer Chrysler's SRT series SUV/crossovers. Can you imagine a twin turbo V6 AWD Blazer or twin turbo V8 AWD Tahoe?
A V8 twin turbo AWD Tahoe will cost about $130k if they use 6.2L. Say a 4.2l TT awd? Probably $110k. V8s are being pushed out for turbo 4 and 6 cyls. And you’re paying $50-60k for those if sport. Anything in an 8 will be charged a heavy premium. Dinosaur engines here we come. I have a feeling by 2025 there won’t be any V8s offered.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:31 PM   #31
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
A V8 twin turbo AWD Tahoe will cost about $130k if they use 6.2L. Say a 4.2l TT awd? Probably $110k. V8s are being pushed out for turbo 4 and 6 cyls. And you’re paying $50-60k for those if sport. Anything in an 8 will be charged a heavy premium. Dinosaur engines here we come. I have a feeling by 2025 there won’t be any V8s offered.
I can only hope you’re wrong, but I fear you’re not. By 2030 Cadillac is supposed to be 100% electric with 2035 all of GM being electric. For me half of the drive is the experience. Vehicles aren’t just for transportation, they’re to enjoy getting to a destination. Of course today I heard an extremely riced out exhaust on a 4 cylinder car and immediately thought back to a Honda CRX or some other ricer. Turns out it was a 6th gen Camaro. I don’t care how fuel efficient, environmentally friendly, or whatever junk comes out with a 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, electric, etc. car. For me there’s no replacement for displacement!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote