Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
C-redfly

Drives: 2013 VR vert ZL1
Going from stock to cai + headers

My power train warranty is up next week and I'm looking into cai, headers, and tune. Will I really notice a huge performance difference?

Last edited by C-redfly; 02-13-2018 at 03:23 PM.
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
You'll notice a difference but I wouldn't call it huge. The engine responsiveness will be night and day if you have a good tune. I'd throw injectors and a pulley on it because you'll wish you had at some point if you don't.

CAI + headers + tune, I'd say you're looking at a 40 RWHP gain. Toss an 18% pulley and injectors on it and you'll see a 120-130 RWHP gain.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
C-redfly

Damn pulleys make that much difference? I don't need a fuel pump with the 18% pulley and injectors? Yeah your right, I'd definitely wish I had done it all together. So I better do it right the first time.

Last edited by C-redfly; 02-13-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-redfly View Post
Damn pulleys make that much difference? I don't need a fuel pump with the 18% pulley and injectors? Yeah your right, I'd definitely wish I had done it all together. So I better do it right the first time.
Nope, no fuel pump. If you do need anything, it will probably be a BAP but I've seen lots of builds make it without a BAP (Boost a pump, fuel pump voltage booster) with an 18% pulley.

Check this out: https://jannettyracing.com/products/...015-camaro-zl1

That's probably a good setup to follow. You can add or remove things as you please, like me personally, I'd skip Dynatech headers and go Kooks or ARH.

Are you going to be doing the work yourself or having a shop to it from beginning to end (Install, parts, and tune)?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #5
C-redfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Nope, no fuel pump. If you do need anything, it will probably be a BAP but I've seen lots of builds make it without a BAP (Boost a pump, fuel pump voltage booster) with an 18% pulley.

Check this out: https://jannettyracing.com/products/...015-camaro-zl1

That's probably a good setup to follow. You can add or remove things as you please, like me personally, I'd skip Dynatech headers and go Kooks or ARH.

Are you going to be doing the work yourself or having a shop to it from beginning to end (Install, parts, and tune)?
Definitely a shop install and tune. I live in the los angeles area.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #6
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-redfly View Post
My power train warranty is up next week and I'm looking into cai, headers, and tune. Will I really notice a huge performance difference?
Biggest jump will be CAI, lower pulley ‘10%’ and good 93 octane tune, big dif unless you heat soak on hot days. I would not do headers until you can address fuel and more lower pulley ‘18%’ and plugs, speaking from expirence. PS, very happy with Dynatech..Call Ted....

Last edited by ZMEnow; 02-13-2018 at 07:15 PM.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Well, the "legendary" 75 WHP package with the CAI + 10% pulley is a touchy subject. Lots of people have pulled it off. Lots of people could never get close. It vary's car to car whether it has enough fueling to safely keep the car reliable. I feel like why not do it right the first way around and get the Injectors. Once you do that, your only next limit is heat and the stock cam. I've heard people buy 10% kits on stock injectors from certain vendors and then when it came time to tune/dyno day, surprise surprise the injectors were pegged out and a hiccup = bad news bears. If you're unwilling to do Injectors, then I'd stick with a 5%.

But if you can swing injectors, like I said, then go for it.

Most importantly, I'd figure out which shop is going to do your work and tuning and see what they are willing to try and do. I think Izzy Performance is a pretty solid name in the game over there but I know there are many others. I'd stick with something along the lines of the 125 RWHP kit unless you want more or less.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:51 AM   #8
1Willy1

Drives: corvette z06
Sad to hear about the heat issues, I had some on my 02 z6 with an intercooled magnacharger 112.

it was fine on hot summer days as long as your moving, but as soon as your stuck in traffic the temps started to get higher, a few times I had to pull over and let the car cool down.

Would adding a meth kit deal with the heat problems that occur with the added boost ?
1Willy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Willy1 View Post
Sad to hear about the heat issues, I had some on my 02 z6 with an intercooled magnacharger 112.

it was fine on hot summer days as long as your moving, but as soon as your stuck in traffic the temps started to get higher, a few times I had to pull over and let the car cool down.

Would adding a meth kit deal with the heat problems that occur with the added boost ?
I dont see IAT's going high in traffic or cruising only when you get on it and work the SC, yes meth would help in cooling the SC as well as other HX Mods..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote