Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-21-2009, 01:38 AM   #15
jsdaniels

Drives: 2009 BMW 128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmurphy33 View Post
I spent 5 yrs in the marines and my wife was 10 years in the air force.!
Five years in the Marines and you don't capitalize the M?! Its a proper noun!

Ok ok, I just had to comment on that.

As for waiting I agree with the majority of the other posters that you should wait. I am a Marine my self who has been in over eight years and getting a brand new 35k dollar car right after basic would be painful to say the least. E3 or not you're going to be spending your weekends playing Xbox 360 while your car sits outside because you can't afford the gas, much less the money to go out and drink.

An E3 under 2 years makes 1,649.70. Thats before taxes, medical and all the other stuff comes out. Unless you're dropping a ton of money your payments are going to be high.
jsdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:41 AM   #16
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaRipper89 View Post
Ok, I leave for basic training(Air Force) Dec. 8 and i wanted to order a 2SS Camaro before i leave so when i get back it'll be here waiting for me in my driveway.....when would you think it'll be the best time to order it i have the money to order it now but will barely meet the car note and insurance with my current job but i was plan on getting a little side job if i do decide on ordering it now. So what would you do if you were in my shoes?!

-Airman James
That is an easy answer....wait. Don't buy something which will make you scrounge for money for just to make the payments when you dont' even have the car. Just hold off, save, don't worry about payments or insurance, and before you get back, put in an order with a dealer who will sell at MSRP. After all, you won't have to worry too much about people charging over MSRP by the time you get back. That's just my take, though.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:50 AM   #17
BlueMarlin
phi alpha

Drives: 2005 GMC Envoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie13 View Post
DO NOT incur any debt that you cannot be 100% certain you will be able to afford in the next 5 years.

What if?

...something happens in basic camp and you don't make it?
...something happens in course school and you get sent home early?
...you end up getting your first assignment to Japan? (<E5 are not authorized a POV)

I could keep going but you get my point. Don't do it dude, there will be plenty of cars available when the time is right.

NOW is not the right time.

~Recruiter~
Great advice, don't overextend yourself. You want to keep your debt as small to non-existent as possible. If you really want to get one for the day or something you can always rent one from AVIS. Wait until you have your affairs in order and get enough money and job security so that you know you can make the payments regardless of what happens.

On the plus side, atleast you don't have to worry about being laid off or downsizing due to the economic downturn.

This car will still be around in 1,2 hell 5 to 10 years it seems. You'll be able to earn one.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #18
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
good choice on the wait

i know how it feels to have money burning a hole in your pocket but it's better for it to be there and not wasted because something happens and you can't afford it
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #19
JackDaRipper89

Drives: SW 2/LT w/RS N Blk Leather
now that I've had a bajillion people tell me wait I might as well take the advice, so when can I put in my order for a 2011 and when it's coming out BTW....idk weither to get the vert or the coupe....2nd part of the question....need more wise men on this situation. lol
JackDaRipper89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #20
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I'd wait to make sure you make it back alive before you buy anything....
Old 07-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #21
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
Quote:
ok now i've come to my conclusion i'll just get a 2011 vert instead...now what do y'all think about that??...that way i save my money by then for a nice down payment.
I did 20 in the USAF, and was an AF Recruiter as well. THese guys are giving you good advice...get thru Basic and tech school, and see where your first assignment takes you. Stash more money, and be in a better position to afford the car you want.

Good luck, you will love the Air Force.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #22
navmaxlp

Drives: Not a Camaro :(
Quote:
they'll ship the vehicle where i'm located i already talked to my recruiter about this.
I swear if I had a dollar for every time I heard something like this I'd be rich! I'm telling you now man, a recruiter will tell you anything it takes to get you to sign on the line. They'll lie cheat and steal to get their numbers up. Believe me, there's enough military on this board that will corroborate my story. I love the military. I'm glad I served. I know several recruiters. I wouldn't change anything. But, the fact of the matter is, you can't believe a word the recruiter says. If you don't see it in writing, don't count on it.

On sa side note; if you do wait and get sent off somewhere (especially Iraq), it's a good possibility that you'll come home with a boat load of cash in hand. Your pay in a hostile fire zone is tax free. You'll bank every cent of what you earn. Do a year, come home with 30 grand and buy it for cash. You'll have the car and no payment. Can't beat that.
navmaxlp is offline   Reply With Quote