Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-24-2012, 04:35 AM   #1
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Need Input, keep 2010 L99 or get 2013 LS3

Well we are thinking about getting a 2013 2SS LS3 and replacing my Bee. We first thought of getting a 1LE but strangely enough was talked out of it by some of my GM friends. They say it is a track car and would be a real rough ride and very expensive to drive with the tires made for it.

So why are we thinking of trading? Talking to friends who have driven both the stick just seems to be a faster car. Even though they are close to the same the stick just has that feel. Like HUD, like the new radio with navagation and the backup camera. We would also like to get the cool new exhaust with quad tips and muffler bypass.

Also told the they suspension is much better and would be probably even better handling than my car with Pedder sway bars.

Any one have a 2013 LS3 and can give some input? Others please chime in since this is a rough decision for me. Wife said get what I want but NO ZL1.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
hmmmm....decisions, decisions. I myself plan on ordering a 2SS/1LE in Feb. '13 and hopefully have gotten a chance to test drive one before making the final decision. I wasn't really too concerned about the ride quality until you mentioned it in your OP, but now you got me thinking. I drove an '11 1SS last year and I thought that was a very smooth drive for a Camaro. I figured the 1LE would be just a smidgen tighter, but you make it sound worse. Now I have to test drive one to see if it something that I can live with because it might end up being a DD for me.

I am planning to do some road courses with it, so I'll just have to bear and grin it. In your case, if you aren't interested in taking it to some road courses, you'll be better off without the SS performance package - as it is called. You'll still get the better suspension setup than what your car has, the electric steering, the Mylink stereo(with the option for Nav) and an option for the backup camera, updated dash appearance, option for dual-mode exhaust....am I forgetting anything? I think you should upgrade if you like the newer features the Camaro offers. If not, stick with what you got and keep modding...

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
DET MUSL
Let's Go Wings!

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
If I'm able to swing it financially I'll be ordering a SS with the 1LE package next spring and I plan on daily driving it. I don't think the ride will be any harsher than the current car, but you are correct the tires it would come with are definitely more expensive tires. If you want a better handling car than your current one, get the 1LE.
GMPP Stage 2
K&N CAI
Vibrant Racing Muffler
Carbon Fiber Hood w/ SS style scoop
Black Wheels
Best 1/4 Mile Time
13.8 @ 101.4mph
DET MUSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
LS3 all day everyday.
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
I like my 13 LS3 more than I liked my 12 LS3 even...
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
orangejuice
H1 OFCR

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
Might as well wait until the 6th gens come out now. I know its 2 or 3 years away. But you have a very early production car right now. I don't know, your car your decision but I would wait now.
ZL1 Hood/Fascia
AAC Afterburners/Sidemarkers
Havoc Black Chrome
5% Tint/20% Smoked Taillights

orangejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
pwrmanpaul66

Drives: 2016 2/SS 6 spd Dual Mode
I had an 11 l99 and traded for 13 ls3 and i LOVE this car way more ! better handeling way better sound and the stereo is great new upgrade !
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Go drive the LS3 and you'll see the difference right away. If you're not planning to take it to the track then you don't need the 1LE. The SS will do just fine for daily driving duty, and you'll notice the handling improvements that have been made since your car came out.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
I was gonna do this a few months ago then I seen the price difference and said hell no. Plain and simple not even close to being worth it.
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
I say go for it if wife is on board. I do agree the LS3 feels awesome but ask your self is it really worth it getting another 5,6 years? Think about it.. now if money is no issue the f it go upgrade now and post pics
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #11
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
The tires that come with the 1LE will be pricer tires. But when you need to replace them, you don't have to put the same brand on. you can switch to a cheaper brand, but you will sacrifice some of the handling. You do have the benifit of being able to rotate the rubber if you want. The tires are the same size front and rear. The rims are different so you will have to have them taken off and remounted and balanced, but it can be done.

If you don't get the 1LE, at least get the dual mode exhaust.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
SFcamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6M
Keep it! Put in a rough idling cam. Ya its fun to have a stick but annoying at times too.
Anyway if you got money to burn mod it some. Cam and tune. It'll be faster and sound hella cool!
SFcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
"Wife said I can get what I want, but NO ZL1“........

Everybody' gonna let that statement slide?
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Well we are thinking about getting a 2013 2SS LS3 and replacing my Bee. We first thought of getting a 1LE but strangely enough was talked out of it by some of my GM friends. They say it is a track car and would be a real rough ride and very expensive to drive with the tires made for it.

So why are we thinking of trading? Talking to friends who have driven both the stick just seems to be a faster car. Even though they are close to the same the stick just has that feel. Like HUD, like the new radio with navagation and the backup camera. We would also like to get the cool new exhaust with quad tips and muffler bypass.

Also told the they suspension is much better and would be probably even better handling than my car with Pedder sway bars.

Any one have a 2013 LS3 and can give some input? Others please chime in since this is a rough decision for me. Wife said get what I want but NO ZL1.
I would say it all comes down to what you like. I personally drove both the auto and manual before I bought, and for me the manual felt way faster. I don't want to turn this into an auto vs stick thing. We all know an auto can be much more consistant at the track. For me however, I don't live at the track every weekend. On the street it just WAY more fun. I have headers over what your sig shows and i am knocking on 116mph in the 1/4. You can really feel that on the street. The other nice thing is you could carry most or not all of your mods over to your 2013.

If your car is paid for... I may think twice. Having no payment is always nice vs a new/technically the same car with a couple new options. Just remember, there will always be something newer/faster/and with more creature comforts. Also, the next gen is just around the corner. Just my opinion.