Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
JackDaRipper89

Drives: SW 2/LT w/RS N Blk Leather
What Would You Do?

Ok, I leave for basic training(Air Force) Dec. 8 and i wanted to order a 2SS Camaro before i leave so when i get back it'll be here waiting for me in my driveway.....when would you think it'll be the best time to order it i have the money to order it now but will barely meet the car note and insurance with my current job but i was plan on getting a little side job if i do decide on ordering it now. So what would you do if you were in my shoes?!

-Airman James
JackDaRipper89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
to be honest it doesnt look like you could order it now or near future and afford it. You order now it will be here by december for sure, and doesnt make sense to let it just sit aounrd. I would wai till you get done with everything go order one or pick one off of the lot. At that point you will know where you stand financially. Plus you could get done with training and go straight to iraq. Just wait man, Im an officer and see my stupid soldiers do stuff like this all the time.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
JackDaRipper89

Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
to be honest it doesnt look like you could order it now or near future and afford it. You order now it will be here by december for sure, and doesnt make sense to let it just sit aounrd. I would wai till you get done with everything go order one or pick one off of the lot. At that point you will know where you stand financially. Plus you could get done with training and go straight to iraq. Just wait man, Im an officer and see my stupid soldiers do stuff like this all the time.
i get where your coming from but i also have some money saved a few thousand save away plus the car will be in my dad's name i'll just be 2nd on everything so financially i'll be good because i'll be starting off as an E-3 instead of an E-1 and i checked the income for that and all i'll be paying for is a cell phone bill and car note and insurance and that's it but i'll wait and see how things will go before i leave.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
Rookie13
Hooked on AutoX

Drives: 1SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Rookie13
DO NOT incur any debt that you cannot be 100% certain you will be able to afford in the next 5 years.

What if?

...something happens in basic camp and you don't make it?
...something happens in course school and you get sent home early?
...you end up getting your first assignment to Japan? (<E5 are not authorized a POV)

I could keep going but you get my point. Don't do it dude, there will be plenty of cars available when the time is right.

NOW is not the right time.

~Recruiter~
Rookie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Join the Marines.. j/k, I have great respect for you, we need more americans like us. If your going in as enlisted, I would wait to see if your going to be able to pay for this vehicle. starting out as an e-1 or e-2 pay grade is rough. What if you get sent overseas for a year, then your paying for a depreciating asset thats not even being driven.
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
JackDaRipper89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie13 View Post
DO NOT incur any debt that you cannot be 100% certain you will be able to afford in the next 5 years.

What if?

...something happens in basic camp and you don't make it?
...something happens in course school and you get sent home early?
...you end up getting your first assignment to Japan? (<E5 are not authorized a POV)

I could keep going but you get my point. Don't do it dude, there will be plenty of cars available when the time is right.

NOW is not the right time.

~Recruiter~
oh ok, understand all of that but man i mean nobody is looking at it as a positive but me all i'm getting is this and that might happen....as for something happening at basic i highly doubt that something will happen unless i break a bone or something because i'm in great shape now....course school i don't know what possible could happen but if something does i'll just come back home and finish off college and just get help from my parents and btw they offered to help me out but i refused because i felt like i need to do something on my own and i seen the Air Force as an opportunity to help me become the man i wanted to be....but in the end i VERY appreciate the comments and i will think about this before i make my finally decision because you all are making very good points.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
JackDaRipper89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav1 View Post
Join the Marines.. j/k, I have great respect for you, we need more americans like us. If your going in as enlisted, I would wait to see if your going to be able to pay for this vehicle. starting out as an e-1 or e-2 pay grade is rough. What if you get sent overseas for a year, then your paying for a depreciating asset thats not even being driven.
hahaha Marines are a little overboard and thank you, yes we really do need more like us......for me i'll be starting off as an e-3 and they'll ship the vehicle where i'm located i already talked to my recruiter about this.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Don't order it. Your going to Lackland right?

You have other things to worry about in life right now. Stash the cash in a savings account. You can join RBFCU or Penfed and open savings and or checking. Then stash money. When your ready you can pull the trigger.

Good luck and gratz. Aim High...
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
Rookie13
Hooked on AutoX

Drives: 1SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Rookie13
NO NO NO not PENFED - go USAA before them.

Sorry for OTP - tryin to help out the young Airmen.

Best 'O Luck
Rookie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
jrmurphy33
CamaroTracking.com

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
Send a message via MSN to jrmurphy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaRipper89 View Post
Ok, I leave for basic training(Air Force) Dec. 8 and i wanted to order a 2SS Camaro before i leave so when i get back it'll be here waiting for me in my driveway.....when would you think it'll be the best time to order it i have the money to order it now but will barely meet the car note and insurance with my current job but i was plan on getting a little side job if i do decide on ordering it now. So what would you do if you were in my shoes?!

-Airman James
I spent 5 yrs in the marines and my wife was 10 years in the air force.

Just wait man, your not going to need a vehicle in boot camp or A-School, You'll have no idea what or where you will be at 6 months from now.

once you get to your permanent duty station then settle in and look at getting one , they will probably be easier to get as well.

You can get into USAA and get a military discount!

2SS/RS M6 Black, Aluminum Polished
Order: NFTBZQ.

1100 = Order Placed at Dealership 14 OCT 2008 Order changed 11/25/2008 - Allocation 4/4.
DELIVERED 7/31/2009

jrmurphy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #11
JackDaRipper89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Don't order it. Your going to Lackland right?

You have other things to worry about in life right now. Stash the cash in a savings account. You can join RBFCU or Penfed and open savings and or checking. Then stash money. When your ready you can pull the trigger.

Good luck and gratz. Aim High...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie13 View Post
NO NO NO not PENFED - go USAA before them.

Sorry for OTP - tryin to help out the young Airmen.

Best 'O Luck
yea i'll be going to Lackland...well i currently bank with chase now so i don't know if i'll use there savings account or not....i see you all are talking about these military type banks and i haven't even heard of one of them besides USAA....guess i have some research to do.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #12
Preacherman2

Drives: 1978 Ford F-150, 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaRipper89 View Post
hahaha Marines are a little overboard and thank you, yes we really do need more like us......for me i'll be starting off as an e-3 and they'll ship the vehicle where i'm located i already talked to my recruiter about this.
They will give you driving orders and let you drive it htere, but if you get stationed out of the country, like I did for my first duty station, then the car will sit there. Just wait. You won;t need it for boot camp, and most A and C schools don't authorize pov's either. Just some friendly advice from a Marine stationed over seas.
Preacherman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #13
JackDaRipper89

ok now i've come to my conclusion i'll just get a 2011 vert instead...now what do y'all think about that??...that way i save my money by then for a nice down payment.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:28 AM   #14
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
you won't pay a mark up, and gm will hopefully have incentive rates, and or rebates you can apply. Good call.
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote