Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-12-2019, 04:39 AM   #1
GeneRoss

Drives: 14 Z/28 #368 02 SS(sold) 2012 Equus
New Member looking to buy a Z28

Hi Gents,

I've lurked around for a little bit. Amazing info here. Something keeps drawing me back to the Z28. Only other car is a Gen V Viper but I feel like I can wait, the markets are still unsettled on those IMO.

Is anyone familiar with these two cars by any chance?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

This one is near me in NYC. They have a free carfax report. It recently failed emissions. Also its 5 years old almost no miles on it and it's been sitting around doing nothing. A little bit concerned. Dealer keeps telling me they have out of state deposits for the car etc.. but willing to take offers??? It's an MB dealership..... then they tell me it's not longer available but it's still up for sale???

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

This one is also interesting. I saw this car for sale 2-3 weeks same dealership, Chicago motorcars. It went sold after 2-3 days. Now it re-appears again with Chicago motorcars... It originally had 12,XXXX miles now its has 14,XXXX miles.... they are asking similar price. I'm a sucker for red..... Any info would be greatly appreciated. Katech stage 2 package on this red one.

Ps - apologies if I'm not posting the links correctly. I haven't used the forums in a long time.
GeneRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:45 AM   #2
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
First one seems odd to me as well

It also says exterior trim checked and that would have me checking to see if it had been damage setting on a lot or whatever, how you could get correct info on this I am not sure.

Also the weird part is this one does not appear to have been passed around like so many have when these things did not sell well when they came out...alot of dealer trading auction etc. this one seemed to stay at the same dealer until recent. Was it damage and the dealer just took forever to repair it who knows?

Maybe someone from around that area on here will chime in but this car could be worth looking into with those miles and the price is not horrible if you are in the market but I would dig deep into it.

You could also go back to the first dealer and see if you could find someone that knows why that car stayed around so long...I would think you could find out a lot here if you dug in.

Good Luck
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Red one doesn't have A/C isn't a bad price considering:
the Katech stage 2 package is $9,000
https://store.katechengines.com/stag...kage-p685.aspx

the the valve covers are $1,000
https://store.katechengines.com/kate...sump-p755.aspx

Also has an MSD intake, upgrade over the FAST in the stage 2 package

Previous owner is still active on here:
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523196
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #4
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Me personally, mods aside, i would seriously consider the red one. We are tight knit group here. Probably much easier on your mind if you purchase a car that was a former members car, easier to know the history

That being said, if the black one checks out, thats a good price for the miles. Youre basically getting in at the ground floor as long as it hasnt been damaged.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
Mike14bumblebee

Drives: 2014 yellow 2SS/RS
Theres a 2014 black one with just shy of 20,000Km for 54800 in Burlington Ontario Canada. Check Leggat Mazda Burlington for details. converted to US thats around $42000. Might be worth the drive
Old 07-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Grab the red one. It has our Stage 2 package on it. The heads are already bulletproof and you won't have to worry about reliability for the rest of the vehicle's life.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #7
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
If you do go after the red one you can do much better on price. While the Katech mods are valuable to all of us on here - any mods are not desirable when you sell the car.

So likley a very thin market for that car, with no AC and mods (even though they are high quality mods). So don't be shy about being aggressive with your offer.

Attached are bulid counts for the z - It is one of 10 red ones produced in 2015 with no AC

Good luck with your search.

Price wise with 14k miles w/o Katech that is a $36k - $42k car due to no AC - very thin market for that. Too many miles to argue it is "more" collectible due to limited number w/o AC - but for a track car that is a great platform to start with!

One with 304 miles at 48K is a fair deal.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2014-15 Z-28 Build Counts with color and AC.pdf (114.5 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Supercup; 07-12-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #8
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
If you do go after the red one you can do much better on price. While the Katech mods are valuable to all of us on here - any mods are not desirable when you sell the car.

So likley a very thin market for that car, with no AC and mods (even though they are high quality mods). So don't be shy about being aggressive with your offer.

Attached are bulid counts for the z - It is one of 10 red ones produced in 2015 with no AC

Good luck with your search.

Price wise with 14k miles w/o Katech that is a $36k - $42k car due to no AC - very thin market for that. Too many miles to argue it is "more" collectible due to limited number w/o AC - but for a track car that is a great platform to start with!

One with 304 miles at 48K is a fair deal.
While that is generally true for most vehicles (modifications not adding value to a car), we have found that most people who are looking to purchase an LS7 equipped vehicle commonly search for vehicles with heads that are fixed. In the corvette world, the first question any C6 Z06 buyer asks is if the heads have been addressed.

Regardless, both vehicles are a great value. If you are looking for a quality package now, the already equipped vehicle is the way to go. You will have to pay the premium down the road if you choose to mod a stock vehicle later.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #9
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
What's interesting about the Red one is they have the A/C option listed in their description as part of it (including the value of it). Probably could talk them down further for not being accurate?
Attached Images

MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
djParis

Drives: ZL1
My family had a deposit on the black one and ended up passing on it. I tracked down some contacts at the original selling Chevrolet dealer and got the backstory. They had this 2015 and a twin black 2014 sitting on their lot until recently. The 2015 sat outside and the paint is very weathered, needs one of those expensive multi-step paint corrections, and I’m not sure that all of the etching will even come out, black certainly doesn’t help. I was also told by the original selling dealer that the underside of the front splitter on this one is cracked unless it has been recently replaced. Also tires are original so bank on replacing those and all fluids as well if you want to drive the car.
djParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #11
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy2tehBone View Post
What's interesting about the Red one is they have the A/C option listed in their description as part of it (including the value of it). Probably could talk them down further for not being accurate?
If you look at the photos you will see there is no "snow flake" on the dial - so it appears no facory AC versus the black car thas the snow flake and AC

First photo is from red car and second from black car.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #12
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
While that is generally true for most vehicles (modifications not adding value to a car), we have found that most people who are looking to purchase an LS7 equipped vehicle commonly search for vehicles with heads that are fixed. In the corvette world, the first question any C6 Z06 buyer asks is if the heads have been addressed.

Regardless, both vehicles are a great value. If you are looking for a quality package now, the already equipped vehicle is the way to go. You will have to pay the premium down the road if you choose to mod a stock vehicle later.
100% agree with you on heads that are fixed, being a great value on this car. In CA you would not be able to register this car withthout taking out the cam and re-installing the stock intake.

Regardless if I was looking for a track car I would be all over the red one!
Old 07-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #13
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
If you look at the photos you will see there is no "snow flake" on the dial - so it appears no facory AC versus the black car thas the snow flake and AC

First photo is from red car and second from black car.
I'm aware. It was the first thing I looked for. However, I was pointing out the dealer apparently thinks there is A/C as it's listed in the options per the screenshot I attached.
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #14
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy2tehBone View Post
I'm aware. It was the first thing I looked for. However, I was pointing out the dealer apparently thinks there is A/C as it's listed in the options per the screenshot I attached.

Happens sooooo much. Not sure where dealers get their info, but so many of them copy/paste from other sites. Ive come across dozens like this. One member on here got SOLD on a car with NO AC...only to find out it had AC on the drive home, because he was unaware of what to look for.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote