Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-03-2016, 04:01 AM   #7953
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
$760 for a basic piston. You get what you pay for.
If you go Adams buy one of their better rifles...those are $1400
HK is a little overpriced...but a better Rifle.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #7954
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
$760 for a basic piston. You get what you pay for.
If you go Adams buy one of their better rifles...those are $1400
HK is a little overpriced...but a better Rifle.
Can you explain a little of what you mean by "basic piston"? I'm not too familiar with piston AR's. Still not 100% if im even going to get one.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #7955
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I'm getting ready to go on a loading marathon of 308/223/10mm.
My brotha!

(note my username)
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #7956
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
My brotha!

(note my username)
I have! 10MM is the best MM
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #7957
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Seem to be getting excessive bolt bounce.... AR15 pistol, not sure which buffer/spring setup is in it. Someone give me a jump start where to look for the issue. Stiffer spring? Lighter spring? Heavier Buffer? Lighter Buffer? Something else?

Also getting too many FTE's

Looks like a run of the mill carbine buffer.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 10-03-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #7958
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Over the last day, I've processed to be ready to load over 1k of .308, a few hundred pieces of .223, and loaded about 100 .223.

I'm getting ready to go on a loading marathon of 308/223/10mm.
Still cheaper than going to a Psychiatrist, and probably works better
Old 10-04-2016, 01:13 AM   #7959
blake-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Seem to be getting excessive bolt bounce.... AR15 pistol, not sure which buffer/spring setup is in it. Someone give me a jump start where to look for the issue. Stiffer spring? Lighter spring? Heavier Buffer? Lighter Buffer? Something else?

Also getting too many FTE's

Looks like a run of the mill carbine buffer.
Try a heavier buffer first. Then you can mess with a stiffer spring. I'd recommend sprinco. There's also a chance a heavier buffer might fix the FTE(xtract) as it will delay the unlocking of the bolt slightly and let some of the pressure bleed off.

FTE(xtract) and not FTE(ject) I am assuming?

-What kind of ammo?
-How many rounds have been through the barrel? Chamber might be tight.
-Have you tried a different BCG?
-Have you inspected the extractor to make sure it hasn't chipped or something and, therefore, lost some of it's grip on the rim?
-Does extractor spring have an o-ring around it?
If not, it might help as it will give the extractor more grip on the rim of the case. Are there scratches on the rim indicating the extractor is slipping off?

Last edited by blake-b; 10-04-2016 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:53 AM   #7960
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
First, your video shows what happens without feeding a round. How much bounce is there when it loads?
Here are some examples of different buffer weights -

Second, do bounce and fte have any relation?
I'm reading bounce causes light strike and is primarily a full auto timing issue.

How far and what angle do the shells fly?
Is that a left handed ar?

Last edited by Southern Comfort; 10-04-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #7961
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Try a heavier buffer first. Then you can mess with a stiffer spring. I'd recommend sprinco. There's also a chance a heavier buffer might fix the FTE(xtract) as it will delay the unlocking of the bolt slightly and let some of the pressure bleed off.

FTE(xtract) and not FTE(ject) I am assuming? FTE

-What kind of ammo? IMI M855
-How many rounds have been through the barrel? Chamber might be tight. 40 rds
-Have you tried a different BCG? Yes, still had FTE, don't know about the bounce.
-Have you inspected the extractor to make sure it hasn't chipped or something and, therefore, lost some of it's grip on the rim? I'll pull the BCG later and get back with you
-Does extractor spring have an o-ring around it? I'll pull the BCG later and get back with you
If not, it might help as it will give the extractor more grip on the rim of the case. Are there scratches on the rim indicating the extractor is slipping off? The back of the rim is scarred most likely from the BCG smacking it when attempting to return to battery. The front lip of the rim has a verry slight nick that you can't see with your naked eye, but can feel with fingernail. I'll shoot a few more rounds this afternoon and check consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
First, your video shows what happens without feeding a round. How much bounce is there when it loads? Probably similar, but I'll put that on my check list...
Here are some examples of different buffer weights -

Second, do bounce and fte have any relation? Eject happens during gas cycle, bounce happens during feed and battery cycle, so logic says no, but the Buffer & Spring are working during eject, so it's possible.
I'm reading bounce causes light strike and is primarily a full auto timing issue. I look at it like wheel hop... It shouldn't happen and can be fixed.

How far and what angle do the shells fly? When they do eject, about 4 0'clock and 3 feet.
Is that a left handed ar? No, it's just upside down in the video
The bounce is a sign the weapon is out of spec, the FTE is also out of spec. I'm no gunsmith, but I do like my weapons to run like they're supposed to. As far as one affecting the other, I don't know..... Better too much info than not enough.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #7962
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Did you build the AR pistol or bought it new?

What you're describing sounds like it's over gassed to me, not a buffer or spring issue.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #7963
Mr Twisty

Quote:

FTE(xtract) and not FTE(ject) I am assuming?

-What kind of ammo?
-How many rounds have been through the barrel? Chamber might be tight.
-Have you tried a different BCG?
-Have you inspected the extractor to make sure it hasn't chipped or something and, therefore, lost some of it's grip on the rim?
-Does extractor spring have an o-ring around it?
If not, it might help as it will give the extractor more grip on the rim of the case. Are there scratches on the rim indicating the extractor is slipping off?
No o-ring on the extractor, it's in like new condition.

I just fired:
3rds LC M193, old stock (2005), first two were FTE, last ejected, bolt locked back on empty magazine.
3rds IMI 855, old stock (~1976), all 3 FTE, bolt locked back.
3rds IMI M193, new stock (2016), all 3 fed and ejected properly, bolt locked back.

The spent brass are clean, no dents, scratches, and perfect rim. Consistent, good primer strikes. Brass threw to 3 0'clock 5 ft away in a nice small group with the IMI M193.

Ammo storage issues? It's stored indoors garage conditions. Hot and cold cycles, but not damp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Did you build the AR pistol or bought it new?

What you're describing sounds like it's over gassed to me, not a buffer or spring issue.
Does over gassed throw brass to 3 o'clock about 5 ft? Figured it would sling brass all over!

I put the lower together, along with the buffer, spring and tube. Standard weight carbine buffer and spring.

The upper is from Model 1 Sales,
7 1/2" AR15 Pistol Upper
5.56 NATO, chrome lined chamber & bore
1-9 twist
A2 flashider
A3 upper
2 rail gas block
Chrome bolt & carrier, std charging handle

I've seen short barrel AR15's with rifle length tubes that are coiled to fit, this is a straight short tube, definitely fast gassed!

I'm going to shoot some more IMI M193, see how it does.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 10-04-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #7964
blake-b

I wouldn't worry about the bolt bounce as long as the gun ran.

I'd run to a Lowes, HD, ACE, and A #60 O-ring. If they worked, I'd order this:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-E...exspring-1.htm
The reason is because the hardware store version will likely be buna rubber and will deteriorate. The others are viton. With the BCM kit, you may not need it because the spring is so strong. It would be a cheap test to see if it fixes it.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #7965
Mr Twisty

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about the bolt bounce as long as the gun ran.

I'd run to a Lowes, HD, ACE, and A #60 O-ring. If they worked, I'd order this:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-E...exspring-1.htm
The reason is because the hardware store version will likely be buna rubber and will deteriorate. The others are viton. With the BCM kit, you may not need it because the spring is so strong. It would be a cheap test to see if it fixes it.
I'll put that on my shopping list, thanks. I may have confused you and never clarified, I'm getting failure to eject. The extractor has been working as far as I can tell, but I can see where extractor could affect ejection.

I watched a Tubb video on buffer springs, he also sells extractor/ejector spring kit. If the o-ring works I may just throw the Tubb springs in. It's a long vid but informative. His buffer spring may stop the bounce as well.

I just don't like that bounce, seems it's going into battery twice, hard, then soft. I'd like to see slo-mo vid of an original Stoner doing it, then I may feel better about it.

Tubb vid:

Old 10-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #7966
blake-b

A better extraction spring has cured fail to eject in the past. I'd start with the o-ring and then upgrade the extractor spring if the o-ring fixes it.

On a related note, I have a close friend who knows David Tubb personally.

Tags
camaro gun