Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
slim-n-none

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS RS M6 (sold)
CAI Install with a question.

So after getting a great deal from a C5 vendor, and super fast shipping, the fedex guy drops the CAI off. Five minutes later I'm tearing the stock box out and installing the CAI. Got everything done and its pretty much a breeze (they should have a motto like, "so easy a ricer could do it"). Only issue I had was getting the top on. It didn't want to fit under the front where the weatherstripping and hood meet. After some wrestling with it and just about whipping out the cut off wheel, it finally fell into place. Looks great overall, just need to get the washer relocated.

My question is, is the lid supposed to be really hard to line up, or do I need to take it back off for the third time and try to tweak the way it is set up?
Attached Images

slim-n-none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
My lid was the same way when I installed mine a week or so ago. It's a snug fit.

Mine:
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Everything looks right there. Its supposed to have a snug fit.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
GSTRYDR
Ghost Ryder Z

Drives: 2018 Nightfall Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Everything looks right there. Its supposed to have a snug fit.
Little Profanity involved with my install too. It was freakin tight, but looks great and still seems to be secured well. I think the difficulty may be from such a good quality product and fit. I am very impressed with the quality of mine. Good choice!
GSTRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
slim-n-none

Thanks y'all, I figured it was a tight fit, just wasn't sure if I missed something down low that was forcing the front edge up. Profanity shouldn't be an issue for the folks living around me. My neighbors have learned new words every time I have worked on either my camaro, or the c10 in the background of my pic. the worst episode was when I was doing the body work and welding on rusted out bed panels to fill holes. Hahaha

Your pic looks almost identical to mine Jeff, they must be twins...
Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Sounds like you got it. Looks good, and congrats on the intake!
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Nice congrats OP. I get mine tomorrow. Messed up and will get delivered at work and its my day off so wont get it till Monday Wont install until next week though.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim-n-none View Post
Thanks y'all, I figured it was a tight fit, just wasn't sure if I missed something down low that was forcing the front edge up. Profanity shouldn't be an issue for the folks living around me. My neighbors have learned new words every time I have worked on either my camaro, or the c10 in the background of my pic. the worst episode was when I was doing the body work and welding on rusted out bed panels to fill holes. Hahaha

Did you have to deal with removing the neg battery cable extention off the one mounting stud? Did your unit come with a notch in the air box by the mounting stud so the cable could fit thru the notch?
CAI, Ported TB, Hurst ShortShifter,SkipShift Eliminator, 3.91 gears, Spohn rear TAs, BMR rear swaybar, Hedmen Shortys, Solo HF Cats, QTP Cutouts, DashLogic,Elite CC,Vitesse Throttle Controller,CurbAlert
Appearance:
20" Nitto Redlines, Rocket Muscle Boosters w/knockoff spinners,
Underbody LEDs, Footwell ,Dome & Door pull LEDs, RapidFire LED Tailights , DRL LEDs, Chrome Ghost parking lights,
Lloyds Mats, SS Kick Plates, Bowtie Hoodliner, '67 fender flags, Billet pedals, Heritage SS grill & deck emblems, rear deck blackout, custom engine brace
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
I remember that I put a little silicone grease on the rubber of the outbd edge of the lid where it fits in between the two lips of the fender. Slid in and fit real easy then.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #10
slim-n-none

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Did you have to deal with removing the neg battery cable extention off the one mounting stud? Did your unit come with a notch in the air box by the mounting stud so the cable could fit thru the notch?
Yeah, I pulled it off just to get everything installed, but put it right back. Yes it had the notch. I think its just a tight fit. Should loosen up over time, well at least I think it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Sounds like you got it. Looks good, and congrats on the intake!
Yes I did, your shipping was the fastest out of the other three things I have ordered this far from other vendors. If anybody is looking for CAI, I will be sending them your way.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #11
MrGs SS

Drives: 2013 Black SS/RS
I took the lid back off.. did a bit of tweaking on the box to make sure it was nice and square and put some silicone spray on the rubber hood gasket. Much easier to get on and off, but it could be easier. Overall I really like the looks and performance of the CAI. I am going to put a light smoke tint on the inside of the lexan window as well, just to be a bit different. I am also going to do the scoop and washer bottle relocate soon, that will cut down on the need to pop the lid off unless I am servicing the filter.

Performance Mods-CAI intake, APEX washer bottle relocate and scoop, Ported TB. SLP 160 degree stat, Norris Catch-can, Pfadt Tri-Y headers, BMR F/R sway bars and Arms, Corsa cat back exhaust.
Appearance Mods-Blackout kit (markers, tail lights), black tail light bezels, black chrome trunk lettering, LSR billet engine dress-up kit, sub box. Billet tensioner pulley and thermostat housing (Billetcustom), Heritage grille.

Tuned by Matt @ Florida Speed and Power
379/388 Mustang dyno

Last edited by MrGs SS; 03-08-2013 at 05:49 AM. Reason: no apparent reason.....
MrGs SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Thanks for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc.! The install looks great, I can't wait to hear your input after taking it for a spin!

**PLEASE READ**

As for the lid fitment, the box and lid are designed to fit tight for a good seal and a professional finish. Remember that the box and lid are attached to eachother when you receive them, so the 2 pieces obviously fit together just fine. Our CAI's are made exactly the same, some fit tighter than others jsut because movements in your car are going to vary vehicle to vehicle. The best thing to do if you are having trouble aligning the lid is to keep the box loose with the lid installed, move it all into position while they are together, remove the lid and tighten down the box, and then put the lid back on. You do not want to bend, muscle, tweak, cut or try modifying anything with the CAI since you know they fit together since they are already together right out of the box. Sometimes the trim on the engine bay needs to be moved a little, sometimes the installer is not aligning the lid where it needs to go inside the flange on the inner fender well, but the box and ild always fit together. As soon as you try and muscle things or force them they can bend making it that much harder to install.

Remember that we are always available for technical support!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim-n-none View Post
Haha you have a good taste in cars and bolt ons apparently.
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
RatedZ

Drives: Camaro SS
I saw a video where they installed the box first then installed the intake pipe. The comment was it will allow everything to fit better.
RatedZ is offline   Reply With Quote