Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
lsmaro

Drives: 2011 ls
winter care

unfortunately my camaro is a everyday driver this includes winter. i am from chicago where the roads get covered with either snow or salt. So with winter coming up i just want to know what the best products for winter are and what i should do to insure paint and underbody life.
lsmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
I think a sealant will give you more protection than a wax, especially a longer term protection.

With that said, you should use a high quality sealant. My personal favorite at the time is http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-we...d-sealant.html

Here are some beading shots of this sealant (Blackfire Wet Diamond) in some morning dew action. (These shots are not mine):

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Nice shots there ihaveacamaro, but for the OP start now before it's too late by washing, claying and any polishing after that go with 2 coat's of Blackfire Wet Diamond ( remember to wait between coats ) or you can top coat it with Collinite Wax or use Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating for protection during the winter.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
lsmaro

Wow that stuff looks good I have heard some good things about that product thank you ihaveacamaro and Angelo@Autopia. How long should I wait between coats?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo@Autopia View Post
Nice shots there ihaveacamaro, but for the OP start now before it's too late by washing, claying and any polishing after that go with 2 coat's of Blackfire Wet Diamond ( remember to wait between coats ) or you can top coat it with Collinite Wax or use Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating for protection during the winter.
Yup follow Angelo's advice before LSP. Just to clarify because it seemed a little muddled when I read it, You can use BFWD and top with collinite OR use collinite alone OR use Opticoat alone. Opticoat should not be applied on top of anything but squeaky clean paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmaro View Post
Wow that stuff looks good I have heard some good things about that product thank you ihaveacamaro and Angelo@Autopia. How long should I wait between coats?

12 hours at least. Don't let it get wet either for maximal benefits. 2 coats is enough, but even 1 coat will do wonders

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Angelo@Autopia

8-12 hr's between coats of BFWD, but if your in a hurry then just wait 2 hrs then, but I recommend waiting between them. If you are going to top it with a Carnauba wax then wait 24 hrs and go for it. The other product's I mention they should be by themselves.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
lsmaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Yup follow Angelo's advice before LSP. Just to clarify because it seemed a little muddled when I read it, You can use BFWD and top with collinite OR use collinite alone OR use Opticoat alone. Opticoat should not be applied on top of anything but squeaky clean paint.

thank you for clearing that up for me. I definitely do not want to mess up my paint.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
lsmaro

Quote:
8-12 hr's between coats of BFWD, but if your in a hurry then just wait 2 hrs then, but I recommend waiting between them. If you are going to top it with a Carnauba wax then wait 24 hrs and go for it. The other product's I mention they should be by themselves.

thank you for the advice i will be waiting the 8/12 hours between coats and will wait the 24 if i do use the Carnauba wax i love this car to much to rush something like this.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Angelo@Autopia

Thank you and once your done how bout some photo's before it get's hit by winter.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
lsmaro

Quote:
Thank you and once your done how bout some photo's before it get's hit by winter.

With work and school it might take awhile to get pictures up but I will post them as soon as I have time.