Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 12-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
evonschu

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Arrow ZL1 tire opinions

Hey all, just wanted to get everyones thoughts on the stock ZL1 tires. I know these are supposed to be good tires, but I can't seem to get decent traction at all with them. Obviously with this vehicle any tire is gonna spinout if you romp on it, but even starting off slowly around corners on dry payment I can feel it slipping. I feel like I get better traction on my colorado pickups cheap falken tires. Any one else feel like this. Mainly want to know if anyone has tried different tires that are more "sticky" that they recommend. I dont care about gas mileage and would much rather have crazy grip than better mileage. The goodyear tires on there now might be perfect on the track when they are hot and high performance driving is a must, but I'd like something more suited for driving around town with good grip. Especially in Portland where 75% of the yr the road is wet. And yes I have tried the PTM modes which do help with this. Thoughts/suggestions. Any 1SS/2SS owners are welcome to chime in too. Thanks and sorry if this is a repost.
evonschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
rzrbck_zl1

Drives: '13 ZL1 CRT #702; '05 Hemi Ram
My only issues have been in cooler temps, like many have noted. I've not really had any experience driving it in wet conditions yet (I tend to drive my truck when there's much of a chance for rain, mainly because in Houston even a little rain makes things "interesting" on the freeways during rush hour...). There are a number of threads in this forum on alternative tire choices for the ZL1 - just do an advanced search for "tires" in the title under the "ZL1 Specific Topics" forum.
rzrbck_zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I keep hoping that YOKOHAMA will make their ADVAN Neova AD-08 High Performance tires available in the correct sizing for the ZL1. They exhibit superb grip on DRY, WET & DUSTY pavement; not so much on snow/ice. The low temperature threshold is 14°F, well below GOODYEAR's 40°F.

Even NISSAN offers a "Winter" package for their GT-R that includes rubber that's supposedly good in slush/light snow. Obviously, AWD is a huge advantage, but there are exotic compounds available that GOODYEAR could employ in their tire construction that would benefit ZL1 drivers.

While I would NEVER drive my ZL1 in snow due to ground clearance issues, approach angles & corrosion inducing road salt, I would LOVE the ability to just take her for a ride to "keep the battery charged up" when it's only the COLD I have to deal with.

So, she's parked in a heated garage until the weather breaks. In the interim, I'm going to need a decent trickle charger.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK

Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
.40BATTERY TENDER $40.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by evonschu View Post
Hey all, just wanted to get everyones thoughts on the stock ZL1 tires. I know these are supposed to be good tires, but I can't seem to get decent traction at all with them. Obviously with this vehicle any tire is gonna spinout if you romp on it, but even starting off slowly around corners on dry payment I can feel it slipping. I feel like I get better traction on my colorado pickups cheap falken tires. Any one else feel like this. Mainly want to know if anyone has tried different tires that are more "sticky" that they recommend. I dont care about gas mileage and would much rather have crazy grip than better mileage. The goodyear tires on there now might be perfect on the track when they are hot and high performance driving is a must, but I'd like something more suited for driving around town with good grip. Especially in Portland where 75% of the yr the road is wet. And yes I have tried the PTM modes which do help with this. Thoughts/suggestions. Any 1SS/2SS owners are welcome to chime in too. Thanks and sorry if this is a repost.

Unfortunately you cannot have both. If you want handling you are going to have to deal with a sticky tire that does not perform in the wet and cold. I have had to deal with similar issues here in So Cal when it rains. The option is to get an all weather tire but then you are going to complain about lack of grip in comparison to the Goodyear tires.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Drives: 18 ZLE,14 2ssrs,96,73 RS LT,69&67
I am hoping that goodyear makes the gen 1 supercars in this size, while not as good on the track tons better in everyday driving. They are standard on the grandsports
Old 12-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Anyone try out Michelin Pilot supersports on their ZL1?
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Drew P

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I have yet to buy them myself, but have been researching threads on many sites. They are very expensive, but a lot of high HP street drivers are swearing by the Michelin super sports.
Drew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
What Sharp said.

Although it is possible to get decent wet-weather behavior as long as the temperatures don't drop too low.

I can tell you that Goodyear Asymmetrics (a max summer performance tire) get pretty dodgy at temperatures under about 45°F with only a 4.6L normally aspirated engine working them.

Could be that the initial tip-in response is just too much. Perhaps some enterprising ECU tuner can come up with a tune that initially opens the throttle less aggressively than OE. This is something that at least one top-level Mustang autocrosser ended up doing to make that car behave a little nicer at the (dry) limit between the cones, and I've done something analogous on a mechanical throttle to slow down the opening of an oversize throttle body (also for autocross, where fine throttle modulation is a really good thing - and relevant to what you're looking for).

You might even consider installing a softer rear sta-bar or a slightly stiffer front bar for the colder months, just to leave a little more rear tire grip available to resist power-induced wheelspin.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote