Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
Ret Grunt21

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
2014 Camaro SS Heat Extractor mods?

Hey all! So I like to road race my SS and I drive on a track in Albuquerque and I'm well over 5k feet in elevation. Problem is that I have to pull off after 4 laps on the 1.7 mile track. It's a very technical track with a small and medium straight so I'm not getting airflow to cool the engine down. I'm getting a tune soon but I was wondering if there was anyone out there who may have modded the factory heat extractor on the hood to get the heat out quicker. Hence a little more airflow. I actually did the Flowtie on my car too lol. Chevy says it's 250 more cfm through to the radiator. I'm looking for the easy stuff before I dump bigger money into it like a pusher fan or a larger radiator. Not looking for opinions, I know there are some smart folks out there that may have had this happen.
Ret Grunt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Most remove the rain tray on track days to help, but I'm assuming you already do that.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
Ret Grunt21

Nope lol.....
Old 08-06-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Yes you can see the heat pour just in normal driving. Not a DD so I leave the rain tray out

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #5
Ret Grunt21

Mine is in the garage most of the time. My concern is that does it work better without it? GM knows their stuff so I don't want to take their knowledge away. It's not like it rains that much here in New Mexico with the exception of monsoon season....
Old 08-06-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
LT1Zob

Yes, it works. The rain tray is for everyday use, try it next time, just a few clips. Nothing to worry about.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
...I put the 2014 extractor in my 2010 hood and I run no tray 99.9% of the time. The .01 is when I send it through the auto car wash because of the water pressure. When I wash it myself I don't put in the tray.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:20 PM   #8
Synner

Drives: cars
Pusher fan is a horrible idea, they restrict airflow. Buy a real radiator it dropped temps 30-40 degrees on track. If you've removed the rain tray there's nothing left to mod, it's a big hole in your hood.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #9
LT1Zob

Everyone here on this thread has been around a while and most of us have tracked or are still actively tracking. Don't worry, we're not going to give you some stupid advice that's going to damage your car. Start with the rain tray, see where that gets you, then if still unhappy, buy a heavy duty rad like Synner recommended. I have a feeling the free mod of removing your tray will do
Old 08-07-2017, 07:37 AM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Removing the center section of the hood insulation of the firewall....old school and requires a exacto knife and does not affect the weather seal............. one reason...ever see old hot rods with their hood tilted up at the firewall? It pushes the heat out the back...over the windshield...I can see it....Then you can simply save the center section for the future if ever needing install stock crap, my cut out is about the size of the cowl.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #11
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Removing the center section of the hood insulation of the firewall....old school and requires a exacto knife and does not affect the weather seal............. one reason...ever see old hot rods with their hood tilted up at the firewall? It pushes the heat out the back...over the windshield...I can see it....Then you can simply save the center section for the future if ever needing install stock crap, my cut out is about the size of the cowl.
LG has been on here and stated they've wind tunnel tested their track cars and the seal removal causes reversion and does not help with lift or heat while at high speeds. Parked and low speeds heat will get out but thats it so it won't fix his issue.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:57 AM   #12
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I have a 2014 hood with the heat extractor on my 2010. I took the rain shield off because it was rubbing on my Fast 102 intake manifold. My car is a garage queen now so I don't drive in the rain, but I do wash it once a week and I spray right through the vent. Surprisingly, it doesn't get that much water on the engine. A couple of quick wipes on the intake tube and radiator cover picks up most of the water.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #13
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
This is probably a stupid question, but somewhat related.

Would an upgraded oil cooler help also with coolant temps? I bought the mishimoto oil cooler with that in mind, very hot Texas summers, and will eventually track the 1LE (been too preoccupied with the bike, kids, etc).

Sounds like I can probably get away without a radiator upgrade that I've been thinking about buying also. How much does the extractor hood help? Seems like a no brainer as I have also heard it reduces lift somewhat.

I never thought about removing the rain tray - makes a lot of sense.

I have thought about the mishi radiator as well. I hate heat soak, so I've further thought about leveraging meth-water injection to keep the IAT nice and happy. Most seem to poo poo that idea unless you're running boost but I'm not looking to make power with it, I'm looking for consistent power regardless of ambient temps, and keep the temps in a reasonable place lap after lap. Even my car being stock (CAI), street driven there is a tangible difference in the summer heat.

/end rambling threadjack
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #14
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
LG has been on here and stated they've wind tunnel tested their track cars and the seal removal causes reversion and does not help with lift or heat while at high speeds. Parked and low speeds heat will get out but thats it so it won't fix his issue.
Don't confuse us with facts.

There is a high pressure area at the base of the windshield. That is the reason cowl induction can provide a benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
This is probably a stupid question, but somewhat related.

Would an upgraded oil cooler help also with coolant temps? I bought the mishimoto oil cooler with that in mind, very hot Texas summers, and will eventually track the 1LE (been too preoccupied with the bike, kids, etc).

Sounds like I can probably get away without a radiator upgrade that I've been thinking about buying also. How much does the extractor hood help? Seems like a no brainer as I have also heard it reduces lift somewhat.

I never thought about removing the rain tray - makes a lot of sense.

I have thought about the mishi radiator as well. I hate heat soak, so I've further thought about leveraging meth-water injection to keep the IAT nice and happy. Most seem to poo poo that idea unless you're running boost but I'm not looking to make power with it, I'm looking for consistent power regardless of ambient temps, and keep the temps in a reasonable place lap after lap. Even my car being stock (CAI), street driven there is a tangible difference in the summer heat.

/end rambling threadjack
The reason you loose performance in high ambient temperatures is because the air density is lower. The same as going to higher altitudes.

Cooling your engine or the intake is not going to increase the density of the incoming air.

The only way to fix that is with a compressor.

The good news is, all your competitors also have to deal with the same conditions.