Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
TonytheTiger

Drives: 1999 camaro rs
Serious college advice please!

Ok guys, this might sound funny or weird even tho i wish it wouldnt. I am a senior in high school and I didn't know what i wanted to be until i went to my annual dental hygienist, I got really interested because they work with their hands, are part of a team, care for people's well being and have great pay,I did some research and found that 96% of women are dental hygienist! I found this out after i called a college consular and looked at salaries and was all hyped up for it becuase everything looked good and salaries between 27-35 an hour!

I talked to my girlfriend (which i have had for 2 years) and she is ok with it but everywhere i look on the web guys seems to get discriminated because of it in a joking way but i also know of some guys (few amount) that said they loved the job and all the benefits it yields and how there is nothing predominatly for women about the job, It also one of the top growing careers for a 2-4 year degree so iwanted to know my chances of me doing the job being a male ..

So guys what do u think about my situation? to feminine? (my hygienist is a girl :( )
Old 10-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytheTiger View Post
Ok guys, this might sound funny or weird even tho i wish it wouldnt. I am a senior in high school and I didn't know what i wanted to be until i went to my annual dental hygienist, I got really interested because they work with their hands, are part of a team, care for people's well being and have great pay,I did some research and found that 96% of women are dental hygienist! I found this out after i called a college consular and looked at salaries and was all hyped up for it becuase everything looked good and salaries between 27-35 an hour!

I talked to my girlfriend (which i have had for 2 years) and she is ok with it but everywhere i look on the web guys seems to get discriminated because of it in a joking way but i also know of some guys (few amount) that said they loved the job and all the benefits it yields and how there is nothing predominatly for women about the job, It also one of the top growing careers for a 2-4 year degree so iwanted to know my chances of me doing the job being a male ..

So guys what do u think about my situation? to feminine? (my hygienist is a girl :( )
Well, their're a lot of guy nurses these days. I haven't ever seen a male hygienist but it doesn't mean you couldn't do it. If you want the big money go be a pharmacist. their starting pay has tripled in the past ten years.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
TonytheTiger

Drives: 1999 camaro rs
Yes, but can being a male affect my employment? are dentist and people accustomed to having a female hygienist?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytheTiger View Post
Yes, but can being a male affect my employment? are dentist and people accustomed to having a female hygienist?
It might have more to do where you live as to what people will think. I know where I live they wouldn't care if the guy had a good personality and did a good job.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Temple school of dentistry in Philadelphia is ranked one of the best in the country, start looking there

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Any job industry has a stereotype (i think). A common joke for accountants is that when they go to interviews, they are asked "What's 2 + 2?" The correct answer should be, "Whatever you want it to be..."

If it is something you are truly interested in, don't let what others say or think hold you back. it's your future, not theirs.

Good luck!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 01:08 AM   #7
CarGoWOT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Any job industry has a stereotype (i think). A common joke for accountants is that when they go to interviews, they are asked "What's 2 + 2?" The correct answer should be, "Whatever you want it to be..."

If it is something you are truly interested in, don't let what others say or think hold you back. it's your future, not theirs.

Good luck!!!
So true, you do the format the way your boss wants it done.
CarGoWOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:19 AM   #8
HeatherMarie2LT
baby #10,978

Drives: 2010 2LT
I think it's a bunch of crap they make as much as-or even in some cases more than nurses, but that's my side rant. It all comes down on what you will be comfortable with.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:57 AM   #9
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Don't let that affect your decision. I'm in a female-dominated major (Animal Sciences) and work in a female-dominated profession (Veterinary Medicine).

And...it keeps things interesting.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #10
thejoker1232

Drives: furture 1LT synergy green camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to thejoker1232
dude i was the same with you maybe even a little worse my grades didn't matter to me until i was in my senior year in high school then i made all a's and got my gpa to 2.7 because my high school was weird but i digress i am becoming a nurse and back when i first decided there was nothing but women nurses, and now women are mostly who are in my classes.... Don't worry I say if it is something you want to do, then do it. Don't let people tell you what you can and can not do in your own life.
thejoker1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
NoUCantDriveIt

Drives: 2SS RS M6 CGM/Black Rally
The only limitation you have is the one you put on yourself. If it’s what you want to do then make it happen. Besides, if you acquire the skills and have the right personality, then being a guy in a female dominated profession could even work in your favor.
NoUCantDriveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #12
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
You could also consider becoming an actual dentist. But if you DID become a dental hygenist, you VERY LIKELY will have a career for life. TO A MAJOR extent, this would be a smart move. (steady paycheck). YOUR main requirement is that you get along with people and they feel comfortable around you. (that type of job is VERY inter-personal). if you are kind of like-able, i would say go for it. (later on you might want to be a dentist, or an orthodontist). either way, you have a 9 to 5 type job (off on weekends too probably.) Secondly thats the type of job, many people, just CAN'T do, or they won't. so again, you are looking at job security. (THIS TYPE of job requires skills/abilities. many folks with bachelor of farts degrees, leave college with zero skills and spend centuries trying to get a job.) you will be fine.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #13
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Basically dude, all I can say is that whatever you do, do it for you. Don't do it for a paycheck, don't do it because its what your parents want you do to.

And if its what you want, go for it. Who care's if most of the people in the job are girls? I've had a male dental assistant before. He was a pretty cool guy.
- X

P.S. - This is coming from a male nursing major who wasted two years trying to become an engineer because I thought it was what my parents wanted.

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
monkeywrenching

Drives: 1LT/RS
Do what you want to do and what interests you. Get an education period. You can't take that from you and employers want to see if you have that drive. Ladies might just want to have a guy work on them.Talk to your dentist and the hygenist and get their take on it.

The only down side I could see is do you have "BIG" fingers
monkeywrenching is offline   Reply With Quote