Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-14-2021, 03:56 PM   #29
EJSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I have a gpi ss1 camshaft as well. Ryan did a remote tune for me and had it dialed in on the first try. His tuning is pretty incredible. Only thing I would suggest is going with a high end lifter. I used the gm performance racing lifters and they are kinda noisy in my engine. But other than that it runs awesome.
Would you suggest the LS7 lifters? Or are these the ones you are referring to?
EJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #30
EJSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modernmusclecar View Post
When you cam your car longtubes are needed to move that exhsust better. Where did you hear youre getting 18 hp by being catless? With a limited budget a cam is hard to do. Get your longtubes and a tune and enjoy the nice bump in power and sound. They are a fav bolton for a reason.Do tbe camwhen funds allow.
It seems to be pretty well documented on this forum that high flow cats give somewhere around 15-20 rwhp without a tune. I also remember seeing that catless is slightly better but that the difference between high flow cats and catless is almost negligible. I can say that from my own experience, I definately noticed a difference as soon as I took the cats off. The difference i felt on the day that I removed them makes sense in the context of about 15-20hp.

With that being said, it's my understanding that part of the gain in hp that people get from longtubes is actually from the replacement of the factory cats with either high-flows or no cats at all. If that's true, which I think it is, then longtubes + tune is actually worth approximately 40rwhp - 18rwhp = ~22rwhp (I'm just using 40 as an approximation for LT gains and 18 as an approximate figure for catless gains) for people like me who already deleted the cats. The 40rwhp figure would only apply to those people who still have the factory cats.

I'm sorry for complicating this so much, I understand that longtubes and tune is great... I'm just fearful that I will be less than impressed with the outcome of another 20hp gain since I already deleted the cats. And it really comes down to money for me unfortunately.. if i could spend $500 on 20hp I'd gladly do it, I have a feeling though that longtubes and tune is going to end up being over $1200 which is hard to justify to the wife in my position, that's all. I was initially thinking that the money maybe better spent on a mild cam, but after reading everyone's replies, it seems like everyone loves the longtubes and tune so much I must be missing something. Maybe I just need to shut up and place the order..

P.S. I wish Speed Engineering still made LTs for our cars, seemed like the best bang-for-buck option a year or 2 ago. it looks like I'll have to go with the Texas Speed instead.
EJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:56 PM   #31
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJSS View Post
Would you suggest the LS7 lifters? Or are these the ones you are referring to?
I spoke to a gentleman today from gpi on this forum and he told me that the lifters I have (gm performance racing lifters) are ok. He also said that most cammed ls's have rather noisy top ends because of the increased valve spring pressures. But if I was going to do it again I would have got these
https://gwatneyperformance.com/produ...ifter-2110-16/
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:59 PM   #32
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
I spoke to a gentleman today from gpi on this forum and he told me that the lifters I have (gm performance racing lifters) are ok. He also said that most cammed ls's have rather noisy top ends because of the increased valve spring pressures. But if I was going to do it again I would have got these
Yeah, I want those or their link bar lifters (https://liljohnsmotorsports.com/john...r-2116lsr.html), but will likely wait until I refresh my springs in another 12k miles.

I regret not going big on lifters when I did my cam swap. My LS7s have been fine, but that extra peace of mind would be a nice thing to have.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:01 PM   #33
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJSS View Post
It seems to be pretty well documented on this forum that high flow cats give somewhere around 15-20 rwhp without a tune. I also remember seeing that catless is slightly better but that the difference between high flow cats and catless is almost negligible. I can say that from my own experience, I definately noticed a difference as soon as I took the cats off. The difference i felt on the day that I removed them makes sense in the context of about 15-20hp.

With that being said, it's my understanding that part of the gain in hp that people get from longtubes is actually from the replacement of the factory cats with either high-flows or no cats at all. If that's true, which I think it is, then longtubes + tune is actually worth approximately 40rwhp - 18rwhp = ~22rwhp (I'm just using 40 as an approximation for LT gains and 18 as an approximate figure for catless gains) for people like me who already deleted the cats. The 40rwhp figure would only apply to those people who still have the factory cats.

I'm sorry for complicating this so much, I understand that longtubes and tune is great... I'm just fearful that I will be less than impressed with the outcome of another 20hp gain since I already deleted the cats. And it really comes down to money for me unfortunately.. if i could spend $500 on 20hp I'd gladly do it, I have a feeling though that longtubes and tune is going to end up being over $1200 which is hard to justify to the wife in my position, that's all. I was initially thinking that the money maybe better spent on a mild cam, but after reading everyone's replies, it seems like everyone loves the longtubes and tune so much I must be missing something. Maybe I just need to shut up and place the order..

P.S. I wish Speed Engineering still made LTs for our cars, seemed like the best bang-for-buck option a year or 2 ago. it looks like I'll have to go with the Texas Speed instead.
Well ive done a few different combos in 10 years of owning my car. I had shorty headers with Solo hi flow cats for 3 or 4 years. The car put down 363whp with thst combo. You wont get that much whp from just cats.And the bump in hp doesnt come from the cats or being catless. It comes from the headers making engine move more air then the terrible stock manifolds. Headers and a tune are good for 30 plus whp regardless of what the cat set up is.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:07 PM   #34
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
My tuner showed me a few chewed up Delphi lifters from customers with failed builds.He keeps them in the display case in his shop to show people. He will not usr them in any build. He uses genuine GM ls7 lifters for most if his builds. He will use the GM Performnce lifters if a customer wants them.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:20 PM   #35
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modernmusclecar View Post
My tuner showed me a few chewed up Delphi lifters from customers with failed builds.He keeps them in the display case in his shop to show people. He will not usr them in any build. He uses genuine GM ls7 lifters for most if his builds. He will use the GM Performnce lifters if a customer wants them.
Scary. I hope mine hold up.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:44 AM   #36
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Yea. mine too!! I hadn't heard this yet, might want to think about changing them out. But then again, if you keep top quality oil in it and change it often and have a good oil pump, shouldn't have an issue.. Me thinks..