Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2023, 10:41 PM   #1
Ck1984

Drives: 2015 camaro LFX V6
I CALL BS on TireRACK

im looking for a lighter set of wheels than my stock 19 5 spoke which are around 27lbs im told.

BUT first, whats the width of my stock 19s; 9 inches?[ assuming u measure at widest part i get just over 9 " fr & back]
cuz when i downgraded size to 18s on fitment industries site they recomended 18x9.5 for lightest wheels in 18 inch
AND tirerack says 8.5 is stock front width and 9.5 is stock rear width but i have 245/50ZR19s all 4 corners?

ANYWAYS this model on tire rack claims only 11.84 lbs when the lightest 18s i found elsewhere is 19 lbs like these ;
https://www.fitmentindustries.com/bu...spension=Stock
compared to about 27lbs stock cast wheels.

is this correct or TGTBT

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...utoModClar=2LT
Aftermarket Oval mufflers

Last edited by Ck1984; 09-11-2023 at 11:06 PM.
Ck1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
The factory 20's are 8" front (245/45 tires) and 9" rear (275/40); not sure what the 19's are but doubt they'd be wider.

11 lbs for a wheel sounds way too light unless they're made outta carbon fiber but then they'd be like $40,000. Personally I'd be cautious about going with a light weight cast wheel since these cars are heavy, and if hitting a big pothole at speed the wheel could blow up.

You can get some decently priced flow forged wheels that are a few lbs lighter than factory. MMR sells a few Camaro replica wheels.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 09:34 AM   #3
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck1984 View Post
im looking for a lighter set of wheels than my stock 19 5 spoke which are around 27lbs im told.

BUT first, whats the width of my stock 19s; 9 inches?[ assuming u measure at widest part i get just over 9 " fr & back]
cuz when i downgraded size to 18s on fitment industries site they recomended 18x9.5 for lightest wheels in 18 inch
AND tirerack says 8.5 is stock front width and 9.5 is stock rear width but i have 245/50ZR19s all 4 corners?

ANYWAYS this model on tire rack claims only 11.84 lbs when the lightest 18s i found elsewhere is 19 lbs like these ;
https://www.fitmentindustries.com/bu...spension=Stock
compared to about 27lbs stock cast wheels.

is this correct or TGTBT

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...utoModClar=2LT
Here ya go sir.. Looks like your rims are 19x8 according to this chart of the 2014-15 Camaros...

https://tirewheelguide.com/sizes/chevrolet/camaro/2015/
Old 09-12-2023, 09:38 AM   #4
Ck1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
The factory 20's are 8" front (245/45 tires) and 9" rear (275/40); not sure what the 19's are but doubt they'd be wider.

11 lbs for a wheel sounds way too light unless they're made outta carbon fiber but then they'd be like $40,000. Personally I'd be cautious about going with a light weight cast wheel since these cars are heavy, and if hitting a big pothole at speed the wheel could blow up.

You can get some decently priced flow forged wheels that are a few lbs lighter than factory. MMR sells a few Camaro replica wheels.
those fitment industry wheels i showed are ROTARY FORGED barrel with only cast face so they should be strong enough for the crappy roads in my neighborhood since im never going over 40 mph there anyways.
Old 09-12-2023, 11:34 AM   #5
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
A lot of the flow formed, flow cast, rotary cast and so on reffers to same thing, where they construct the barrel in a way that makes it stronger and allows use of less material for same or better strength with the actual rim and centers being cast same as a cast wheel. As for wheel weights, any reputable wheel manufacturer will list spec sheets and other information like weights on their website, could be a misprint on the seller's side.
Old 09-12-2023, 12:43 PM   #6
Ck1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Here ya go sir.. Looks like your rims are 19x8 according to this chart of the 2014-15 Camaros...

https://tirewheelguide.com/sizes/chevrolet/camaro/2015/
thanks dude

1. SO say i was gonna get 19x9.5 wheels, would my current size tires still fit properly?

2. and if so would it possibly give me a wider flatter contact patch, hence more grip
possible?

3. AND in either 18 or 19 inch wheels would the extra 1.5" width all be shoved to the outside giving me a wider stance thus better handling and also fill out the wheel wells better as the current ones sit inboard a little
Old 09-12-2023, 01:09 PM   #7
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
Quote:
thanks dude

1. SO say i was gonna get 19x9.5 wheels, would my current size tires still fit properly?

2. and if so would it possibly give me a wider flatter contact patch, hence more grip
possible?

3. AND in either 18 or 19 inch wheels would the extra 1.5" width all be shoved to the outside giving me a wider stance thus better handling and also fill out the wheel wells better as the current ones sit inboard a little
I can't speak on the 19 inch ones but I just went 1.5 inch wider in the rear for my 20a and it was fine.

If you stretch you current tires you will probably have same exact tire patch, most of the stretching happens with the sidewall. Whole relationship of tire width to grip is also a complicated one, it's brain teaser physics teachers give to their students because friction does not take into account surface area, sort of like how big brake kits don't necessarily increase braking distance but do dissipate hear better, you do get a bit more tracking with wider tire through and theoretically slower tire wear, main effect comes into play with soft tire compounds where tire deforms a lot and wider tire helps maintain the optimum contact patch.

I think it depends on the wheel, there are lots of numbers in terms of offsets and such, with new wheels I just got majority of the width went onboard and actually had a bit of clearance troubles.
Old 09-12-2023, 04:44 PM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
thanks dude

possible?

Not a Camaro website, but I did find you some info on running your current tires on the 9.5 inch wide wheels. With a couple pics on how it would look. You can do it, just have to be careful with the rim edges and the sidewall, as you won't have the "cushioning" effect with it being stretched. As for how the stance and clearance will be on the car, that all depends on what offset they will be. With the first set of wheels you listed, they look almost like the MRR M228's I had on my Camaro, and the outside edge of the wheel sat flush with the fender edges, most of the width went to the inside of the wheel over the stock width. Check it out.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...-5-wheels.html
Old 09-12-2023, 04:45 PM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddymel1998 View Post
I can't speak on the 19 inch ones but I just went 1.5 inch wider in the rear for my 20a and it was fine.

If you stretch you current tires you will probably have same exact tire patch, most of the stretching happens with the sidewall. Whole relationship of tire width to grip is also a complicated one, it's brain teaser physics teachers give to their students because friction does not take into account surface area, sort of like how big brake kits don't necessarily increase braking distance but do dissipate hear better, you do get a bit more tracking with wider tire through and theoretically slower tire wear, main effect comes into play with soft tire compounds where tire deforms a lot and wider tire helps maintain the optimum contact patch.

I think it depends on the wheel, there are lots of numbers in terms of offsets and such, with new wheels I just got majority of the width went onboard and actually had a bit of clearance troubles.
Thanks eddymel for the help too..