Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #99
Hoddi
Camaro Girl ~

Drives: 2010 Camaro
You still think you liked smoking?

Well... you didn’t!

EVER.

This was a huge lesson for me, because that is what I believed for years. For decades... I stubbornly held on to the belief that I loved smoking, and that kept me doing it for years. It turns out it was all a huge misperception. An error.

If you do not believe me, take the test...

Think of something you love. Anything... chocolate, exercise, reading, movies, going out, wine, skiing, swimming, sunbathing... anything.

Ok, then... can you walk away from it for a few days?

Yes, you might miss it. But will you feel barely able to function? Will you start having panic attacks, and headaches, and insomnia, and fatigue, and gas, and tightness in you chest, and irritability, and anger, and memory problems? Huh? Does ANYTHING else have this effect on
you?

Could it be that you only ever smoked to hold these symptoms at bay? If you liked it you should be able to walk away from it temporarily... right? So why can't you? Because perhaps `LIKE` has nothing to do with smoking. And never did!

And where does this feeling of `liking` come from? I think the addiction grows on you so gradually that you mistake relief for enjoyment. It is like stepping into quicksand and thinking... `oooh... that feels good... all warm and squishy... and I can step out any time I like`. And then one day it no longer feels that way and you find yourself trapped up to your waist. And it is diabolically hard to get out. This habit is insidious, it is sneaky, and we have trouble seeing it for what it really is.

So why do you so stubbornly hang on to the belief that you liked it? After all, that's not really what was going on.

And guess what? Once you stop believing that you liked it, quitting becomes a lot easier because you no longer feel like you are giving something up. You will feel like you were duped but you are now correcting a problem. A craving does not mean that YOU want the cigarette. It means that something else is compelling you to smoke, but you have the power to decide whether this will happen or not. If you look at it this way, you will not feel deprived by saying no. You will see smoking for what it is... a vicious circle that satisfies the need it creates, robs you of everything and leaves you with nothing of value. A pretty bad deal, don`t you think? Doesn’t that make it a lot easier to refuse it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have tons of reading material. That's what helped me the
most. Holler and I can email you a bunch of stuff!

And you may want to check out what helped me so much.
www.quitnet.com

You can do this!
It is in fact the fight for your life!

Holly ~ 930 days smoke free ~

Don't smoke no matter what!
No matter what, don't smoke!
Understand? Good!
Smoke and you cloud your mind.
Smoke and you ruin everything.
Always remember, if you smoke today, you will be oh so sorry in the morning!
Hoddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #100
mbauer14085RS/SS2010

Drives: 99 blazer/2010 2ss/rs iom now
i will quit with you brother. i had quit for 4 years. i took zyban and quit within 2 weeks. i started again when i got all the stress of my job for 14 years going over to china. i recently got a better job and my camaro is on its way. THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I WOULD SMOKE IN THAT CAMARO. so i am gonna use it as my reason to quit again.
3800 Order produced (6/16/09)2G1FK1EJ3A9117972
4000 Available to ship (6/16/09)
4200 Shipped (6/19/09)
4300 Intermediate Delivery(6/20/09)
5000 Delivered to the dealer(6/22/09)
6000 Delivered to the customer (6/27/09)
mbauer14085RS/SS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #101
Chris-10

Drives: 2ss/rs vr 6m
good luck on quitting, been smoking for 20yrs. im 38 now, be 39 next month, ive quit so many times i cant count @ FOR ONE STUPID REASON OR ANOTHER always lite back up, nothing harder, im trying to quit again for the last time, so good luck to us both
Old 06-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #102
LyssaRaen

Drives: 2010 SS/RS SIM W/ CGM Stripes
You can do it!!! I quit a few months ago and I'm still going strong. Hardest part is convincing yourself to quit. Used the Camaro as my motivation and the patch as my crutch! (Those things really do work). It's tough but its definitely not impossible... When you start wiggin' out, just try to take a step back and a few deep breaths and remind yourself why you're doing it.

GOOD LUCK!!!
LyssaRaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #103
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Don't forget, you're a role model:

Hey how the hell did you get that Picture of me when i was 7!?!?!

serious now.

Its horrible to see kids smoking at earlier ages. After i leave my HS i see 15-17 year old guys and GIRLS smoking I mean smoking is to relive stress.. What 15-17 year old teens have to worry and stress about?????????
sorry for the rant

irpq11 your making a great leap in your life by quitting Your Kids and your wife will be happier now.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #104
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Greg, are you quitting too? lol no pressure.
eventually. again that is. lol
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #105
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Find an alternative to smoking. Think Koenigsegg ccx. Start at 6:03

Old 06-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #106
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Ok. Just got off the phone with Scott. He called earlier to tell me about all the support from you guys. I'm moved by the attention and thought. I've been glad to be a member of a community like this one and before it's all over with I will be in ya'lls debt for this. So before I read this thread, what I have done is went outside and smoked one last cigarette. I even took a picture of it per Scotts request. I am on here alot so your continued support will be asked, by me, of you. I had a pack with 10 smokes in it. As I was on the phone with Scott, I ripped up 9 of the cigs and kept the one in the pic. So here goes. My quit smoking campaign. I am one irritated dude when I want a smoke. I smoked for 8 yrs from 17 to 25, and quit cold turkey on my 25th b-day and then foolishly started back 9 yrs later when I was 34 and have been going for 4 yrs and I am now 38. I'll be 39 next month on the 10th. It's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much harder to quit the second time. I owe it to my lovely wife Bonnie and my two kids James 15, and Rebecca 12 to stop. So guys, you got my attention and I will DO my best. I have allways told my kids "Never, TRY to do anything, but DO it", time to practice what I preach.

Attachment 33071Attachment 33072

We are here for ya! You can do this.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #107
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer14085RS/SS2010 View Post
i will quit with you brother. i had quit for 4 years. i took zyban and quit within 2 weeks. i started again when i got all the stress of my job for 14 years going over to china. i recently got a better job and my camaro is on its way. THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I WOULD SMOKE IN THAT CAMARO. so i am gonna use it as my reason to quit again.
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-10maro View Post
good luck on quitting, been smoking for 20yrs. im 38 now, be 39 next month, ive quit so many times i cant count @ FOR ONE STUPID REASON OR ANOTHER always lite back up, nothing harder, im trying to quit again for the last time, so good luck to us both
Only good can come of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
eventually. again that is. lol
And YOU!!! You are just too damn smart to smoke... No excuse
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #108
Hawks

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2004 Frontier
Is that like the going deal, I got the same altimatum. "You can have your camaro if you quit smoking" So I am quiting LOL! 1 week now.... you can do it the toughest part is the first couple days.

Please go to this site to add your information to the site and spreadsheet...

http://camarotracking.com/

At the top is a blue ADD ORDER TO TRACKING DATABASE click on it and fill in the blanks. Make sure spelling and case is correct. Thats it and you will be added.
Hawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #109
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Ok, it's 1:16 am and I'm good. It won't get tuff til the morning. I'll need gum. I got a feeling I'll be gaining a little poundage.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:33 AM   #110
TonytheTiger

Drives: 1999 camaro rs
STOP SMOKING! Just don't buy it, accept it, look at it, think about it NOTHING!

I would stop smoking just to rent an SS camaro for a day
Old 06-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #111
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
I used to smoke 3 packs of Camel lights a day ( the equivalent of Marlboro reds). I quit in one week back in 1994. Now I have tons more energy. i have more time to do everything. Just think with out having to stop and smoke every 5-10 minutes, you might actually get stuff done. And you won't miss out on all the conversations anymore. It really isn't that hard to quit.

From your avatar i would guess that you are a tough guy and can handle an easy thing like not smoking. And it will mean you no longer smell like burnt stuff. Don't be a wimp and give in.
One of my favorite sayings is: "If one man can do it, another man can do it."

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter

Last edited by SicSix6; 06-21-2009 at 09:39 PM.
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:32 AM   #112
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Oh man dude. My father-in-law said he couldn't stop, tried several times and would get so sick he couldn't stand it. He hurt his shoulder and the X-ray should a bulge on his aorta. Dr. said that they usually find that after the autopsy. This is caused from hardening of the arteries. He found out that he could quit.
Fast forward four operations later for four aneurysms, one in leg, one in abdomen two on aorta. The last one left him looking like he had a stroke. He walks with a cane now and at least he can speak again clearly once his vocal cords started working again.
He found out he has another one and it will be dangerous to repair.
His brother had a lung removed and still smoked while needing oxygen. He found out that he will die in less than two years.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote