Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-20-2019, 06:47 AM   #57
RainerLM

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by overhaulengines View Post
glad to help, good talking to you. did the mirror pop out pretty easy?
can you post some pics of how the wire runs out of the door into the car please? mine is a little different because of my vertical doors. looks great

lupe

LOOK AT ME "You can do it":headband:

lupe

i love it, love the flashing door handle, i have my fender vents flashing, one more set of lights to run lol. .
if you can post a pic of the wire from the door to the car also. so other can see how you ran it. i will post in the 1st post for others. also any tips you learned or anything that i didn't cover in the first post.
i just ordered my service manuals, i should be able to find the wires inside the car so other don't have to run them all the way to the turn signal outside
thanks again

lupe
Hello,

Were you able to find where inside the car the turn signal wires are?

Thanks
RainerLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #58
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainerLM View Post
Hello,

Were you able to find where inside the car the turn signal wires are?

Thanks
the last reply was 7 Years ago!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:25 PM   #59
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Finally installed them (cheap & EZ) after having car for 9 yrs. Many thanks to Lupe who first pioneered this mod and the others who contributed
https://youtu.be/mpq8vK3RLJw

I say EZ because unlike the techniques used in this thread to run the wires from the door into the chassis I simply ran the wires from the door stop thru an opening where the qtr panel meets the body side door hinge into a channel along the top of the fender qtr panel along side the hood hinge to the front turn signals. The opening and channel are the same on both the driver and passenger sides. It was like they were put there just for this mod With this approach there was no drilling of any holes nor cutting into the door harness. What also made this EZer was instead of LED strips I used actual LED turn signal mirror flashers.

I first ran 1/4” plastic loom from the door stop up along the door harness and behind the door hinge then thru the qtr panel opening and thru the fender channel (see pics) to the turn signals. By zip tying the loom to the door harness and running it BEHIND the door hinge and UNDER the fender channel the loom doesn't get pinched when closing the door nor when closing the hood, nor does the wire that will go thru the door stop into the door get pinched when closing the door ...it's a beautiful thing

I then ran wire thru the loom beginning at the turn signal end of the loom. I used the loom to protect the wire and give it a more factory look. After running the wire thru the loom I tapped into the turn signal power wire and also made the ground connection. See Notes below for tapping and grounding details. I then ran the wire from the door end of the loom into the door thru an opening at the TOP of the door stop. The opening is too narrow for the loom to go thru.

The wire from the door stop comes out behind the speaker cavity where I connected it to a separate wire I ran from the mirror. To run the separate mirror wire you have to remove the mirror from the door, but you don't have to remove the mirror glass as the flasher gets taped to the mirror's glass plastic backing. You also don't have to remove the mirror glass from its housing mount. Just push in one side of the mirror glass as shown in thus thread where it will provide just enough room to work with.

After removing the mirror from the door and after pushing in the mirror glass to create room to work, run a separate length of wire up into the mirror housing from the opening at the bottom of the mirror housing where the mirror wire harness goes into the mirror housing as shown in this thread. TIP -you'll need a pic to grab the wire from inside the mirror housing in order to pull the wire out from behind the mirror especially if you have heated mirrors like I do.

I then connected the mirror wire to the flasher wire with Posi-Locks. TIP- strip off extra length of jacket from the flasher wire to provide extra wire to wrap into the posi-locks as the flasher wires are VERY VERY THIN !!! Then I used double sided emblem tape to press the flasher onto the mirror's plastic backing. Reinstalled the mirror on the door letting the mirror wire fall into the door cavity (don’t put it thru the mirror's wiring harness grommet hole) and connected it to the wire that came thru the door stop ...this now creates a complete wired circuit from the turn signals to the mirror flasher

Notes

- I used 18AWG red & black bonded pair wire with 18-24 guage PosiTaps & PosiLocks.
You’ll need 2 PosiTaps (one for each turn signal tap) and 8 PosiLocks (4 each side -2 for the door cavity positive & negative wire connections and 2 for the mirror flasher wire's positive & negative connections). It’s easy to run the bonded pair wire, then all you have to do is separate and strip the red & black ends for grounding, for use with the PosiTaps to tap into the turn signal power wires (white&blue striped) and for the PosiLocks wire connections in the door and mirror.

- For grounds I decided not to tap into the turn signal ground wires. Instead I grounded the driver side to the factory ground post near the air box and the passenger side to a screw on the fender panel near the fuse box. I used ring terminators on both grounds and applied a little dialectric grease.

- Test the flashers before you reinstall the mirror and close everything up. Even with the PosiLocks the driver side flasher didn’t flash at first because I didn't get a good enough connection to the flasher wire because of how thin the flasher wires are. Had I not tested I would have had to have gone thru the whole process of removing the door panel and mirror again; instead I reattached the mirror only by the top mirror nut for the test so I just had to remove it and push open the mirror glass to redo the flasher posilock connection.

- Here's the flashers I used https://www.ebay.com/itm/37364163567...UAAOSwz7Vg5Wij
Buy two sets they're cheap, one for backup. I had one pair of wires come out of one of the flashers -just by picking the flasher up by the wire- and there’s no way to reattach them
TIP -put electrical tape on the back of the flasher where the wires are connected to secure the wires to insure they stay attached while you’re working with them.

ps- I thought of running one contiguous strip of wire from the mirror flashers to the turn signals but it's impossible to run the wire from inside the door thru the door stop

See them on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mpq8vK...lkZSBtaXJyb3Jz
Attached Images

Last edited by camguynj; 11-15-2023 at 09:13 PM.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote