Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
brad80

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Convertible
Removing Defenderworx Fuel Door

Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 1030
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 647
Size:  97.2 KB

I have the fuel door that i have attached in the pix and I believe it is a defenderworx. It came on the car (2nd owner). I really like the stock IOM look so I need to get this off.

My question is have there been mods to the car to make this fuel door work that will not allow me to go back to the stock door? The hinge cut? Slot cut for locking mechanism, Etc.?

I like the stock look best, but if i need to just be happy with the fuel door I have then I will deal with it for a while anyways.
brad80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
luckynuts

Drives: 10 ABM 1SS/00 Z28 Conv/14 SumWh 2LT
If you go to Defenderworx website they have an install video and you will be able to see the modified parts. You will need a new plunger and the black plastic that the fuel door is mounted to has been changed as well. I wouldn't expect the parts would be that expensive to replace or 5 minutes at the wreckers if they have one sitting there.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
brad80

going to check out the defenderworx website now. thanks for the input!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
brad80

My Experience with Fuel Door

Just in case anyone wants a pointer or info on installing new fuel door or putting the oem one back on.

It is very simple. Thankfully I found a member that had an IOM fuel door and was up for a trade. The fuel door itself simply slides in and out virtually nothing really holding it in. Just a small pull away from the car and it will pop out. I then ordered directly from a local chevy dealership the fuel door housing because the end was cut off of mine to make the locking aftermarket fuel door function properly. The only thing that holds the actual fuel housing on is the rubber boot that goes around the gas pipe where you put in the gas.

If you are trashing the old fuel housing anyways just cut the boot and pull out the housing then you can pull the rest of the rubber boot off after you have removed the housing.

The fuel housing was only $18 and it came with everything already together and ready to pop in and slide on the fuel door (painted or aftermarket). So the hardest part was getting the old housing out being careful not to scratch the camaro.

Luckynuts thanks for your input I used that reference in my quest to conquer this small task. Hope this helps someone else out in the future.