Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
MIG773
CAMAROGRAPHY

Drives: White 2SS Coupe
Cutouts, CAI, and Dyno tune cost question

I've been a long time reader but this is my first post so I hope I'm asking in the right place.

I just received a quote for the following work at $1575 (parts and labor) at a highly Yelp rated shop. Wondering if this is good price here in the Seattle area.

1, QTP oval low profile cutouts with wired switch.
2. Volant CAI
3. Dyno tune

A quick response would be great as I have to decide to get it done asap before I fly out for work.

Thanks!
MIG773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Might want to also ask Ellis @ Speed Secrets:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SPEED...o&tab=overview
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #3
iCamaro81

Drives: 2014 Camaro Convertible L99
In my opinion...I would order the stuff and install it myself. I paid 150 dollars to have a shop put the cut outs on and I wired it at home. CAI and wiring the cutouts was VERY easy. I wouldn't pay for a dyno yet unless I had long tube headers. Again just my humble opinion.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
MIG773
CAMAROGRAPHY

Thanks John! I will check if they're open tomorrow. Otherwise I'll wait till Monday. iCamaro81 - If I had my driveway, I would definitely have done that. But I just moved to seattle and my tools are in my garage back in Illinois. I'm in an apartment for now and I want the dang cutouts already. Depending on what Speed Secrets say, I might take your advice and hold off on the Dyno! thanks again!
Old 02-20-2015, 11:57 PM   #5
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I was charged 200 for qtp install at muffler shop they also ran wires for free.

Ordered cut outs on ebay for 400$??

You don't need a tune for those mods 1500 is insane to pay for that. Run away!

You could get a cam install for that amount.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:02 AM   #6
iCamaro81

Drives: 2014 Camaro Convertible L99
Like Revive said, I have read countless threads that say don't worry about a dyno tune until you get mods that "require" it such as long tube headers, cam, and/or supercharger. Your car will adjust fine on its own to the mods you have planned. A shop near me wanted about 500 just to put it on the dyno but I took the forums advice and used that money for other mods such as porting my throttle body, Range AFM disabler and I won't tune it until I get headers. If you decide to do some more mods down the road you would probably have to pay again to put it on the dyno to get the most out of your mods.
On a side note, I would ask the shop before hand if they have a plasma cutter. I called a place and they said sure we can install those bring it on down. I don't have many shops out this way but I took an hour drive to the shop and after they got it on the rack told me they didn't have the equipment to do it...Hopefully you don't have that problem but just a warning. Anyways, I am excited for you! Go ahead and practice smiling cause if not your cheeks are going to hurt from grinning when you open them up. My wife and I are like little kids when someone pulls up to us at a light and revs their car a little. I give them a nod and a thumbs up then open mine and give it a little gas and we both giggle like school girls when we see their face.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Lol that is stupid expensive.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:31 PM   #8
MIG773
CAMAROGRAPHY

Thank you all for real. Confirmed my fears but I didn't want to say much since I'm relatively new to this. I felt accomplished because I cut out and installed my Borla axle-back exhaust and lowering springs on my own! But that's about as far as I go. No welding. I'm going to order what I need online and take it from there.

Here's what ticks me off - I do IT and at one point I did consulting. I argue with sales guys would oversell hardware to customers because the customer didn't know exactly what they needed. And I feel this is exactly what happened here. I could hear the change in the guy's voice when I told him first that I might hold off on the dyno. But now I know for sure. Live and learn I guess... Glad I learned on the forum and not the hard way. I'd say I'll post a video once I get it but video does cutouts absolutely no justice. I've heard them before and I can't wait!

Thanks again!
Old 02-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #9
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG773 View Post
Thank you all for real. Confirmed my fears but I didn't want to say much since I'm relatively new to this. I felt accomplished because I cut out and installed my Borla axle-back exhaust and lowering springs on my own! But that's about as far as I go. No welding. I'm going to order what I need online and take it from there.

Here's what ticks me off - I do IT and at one point I did consulting. I argue with sales guys would oversell hardware to customers because the customer didn't know exactly what they needed. And I feel this is exactly what happened here. I could hear the change in the guy's voice when I told him first that I might hold off on the dyno. But now I know for sure. Live and learn I guess... Glad I learned on the forum and not the hard way. I'd say I'll post a video once I get it but video does cutouts absolutely no justice. I've heard them before and I can't wait!

Thanks again!
I can't wait to put my headers with high flow cats in and run it like that for prob a week. (I have muffler delete)
Old 02-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #10
MIG773
CAMAROGRAPHY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
I can't wait to put my headers with high flow cats in and run it like that for prob a week. (I have muffler delete)
Nice!