Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-20-2023, 06:47 PM   #1
TEGGSRB18C1

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
OE sway bar bushings

I purchased these BNIB OE ZL1 sway bar set (re-branded and sold as SLP) last winter. These are new but look like they've been shipped and received about 50 times over.

They were handled so roughly that the sway bar bushings and brackets have rotated on the bar. As you can see, the green marks from the factory are completely off.

I've done a little research and it looks like these are permanently attached. I tried to rotate the bushings back around and it laughed at me. I think these things are cooked. I see no other option other than to cut these off and start over. I do not see an option for aftermarket replacement bushings for 12-15 ZL1's. I contacted Energy Suspension about possibly producing bushings in 25/28MM sizes.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Am I missing something with these stock bushings that I can correct this without cutting them off? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

2000 Acura Integra GSR/5 Speed - SOLD
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS/SS/6 Speed - NEVER SELLING
TEGGSRB18C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 05:47 AM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Have you tried placing the bar up to the existing bar to see if it lines up properly? Know that the bar isn't symmetrical and only goes in one way.

Can't remember if I was able to spin the bushings when I did my bars, but based on how the sway bar works it should spin within the bushings. Also seems odd that if these bushings aren't in the correct orientation, they both seem to be at the same orientation relative to the bar.

Not sure if the bushings could be seized somehow? Maybe spray with penetrating oil and then put the bushing/mount in a vice (use wood to protect metal) and try to twist the bar.

Maybe someone who's played with their bars more recently can chime in.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 06:44 AM   #3
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I got a new ZL1 bar that doesn't look beat up at all, btw, and the bushings are tight as Dick's hatband if you try to just grab them by hand and twist them. But they SHOULD rotate without adding any force to the suspension on normal up and down motion. Sure, it's a ZL1 bar, but it's still a "stock" bar.

Might suggest to get a scrap piece of fairly straight 2 x 4 cut just long enough to be able to bolt on the bushing clamps. Then use some lag screws to bolt the bar to it and some washers under the clamps to make sure clamps are tight but the bushing isn't compressed. Chuck the 2 x 4 in a vise with the bar ends facing you and grab them like bicycle handlebars and see if you can't rotate it back to match the dots. After all, SOMEONE did.

Might be a bad idea, or might not be. Free advice is all it is.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 07:15 AM   #4
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
The factory bushing mount straps come off, but as said, they are pretty tight. You could try a little penetrating oil to help get them to spin, but they should move. It will be easier to turn them with the cap off, but you will need to apply some force (BFH) to get them off. RockAuto sells new caps and bushings. I had to mess with these putting a 32mm Pedders bar on the vert. I thought I would save money and just use the caps off the old bar, but they were the wrong depth. Turned out they were like $3 from Rock Auto.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 03:20 PM   #5
TEGGSRB18C1

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Thank you guys. I am in the same school of thought...if they moved once, they should move again. I'm going to try the 2x4 method in a vice. My father has a huge woodworking vice mounted on the end of a 6ft table. I think we should be able to twist them back in place....hopefully.

Will come back to this thread with results for anyone who has the same problem and finds this thread.
2000 Acura Integra GSR/5 Speed - SOLD
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS/SS/6 Speed - NEVER SELLING
TEGGSRB18C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:26 AM   #6
Apharaoh06

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
They come off, however they are on there super tight. You will need a vice, or 2x4, or rubber mallet to get them off.
Apharaoh06 is offline   Reply With Quote