Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-15-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Motorcycle Guys?

Hey I'm contemplating getting my first bike...but I don't have any experience with them. So I don't know what's user friendly (for noobs), reliable.

I'm a cruiser type, so I'd be wanting to get something like a new Harley Fat Bob, Wide Glide or M109 R2 in the future

I've found a few heavily modded Harley's (sportster) and one modded C50 SE Limited Edition that Im considering. Any advise is would be appreciatied, Like I said I'm thinking about it... or buying a shortblock.

Also is there a site like cardomain for motorcycles anywhere?
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Buy new if you can't do your own wrenching, I run a metric cruiser forum and you can find lots n lots of good deal n low mile bikes because they can't wrench and the shops milks em dry and get no where fast.

If you can wrench look for those low mile bikes that sat in a garage with gas in the tank for several years, which equaly gummed up carbs n such, but means a ubar low price. Then find a forum to get help fixing those minor things that gum up a bike from sitting.

Pretty much all my forum is for, helping folks help themself, they pick up a bike with low miles that wont run, they spend nearly as much in a shop as they did on the bike and it still wont run for crap, and then we talk them through DIY fixes that work the first time.

Bigger problem is most shop just don't care enough to open a book or look for help online. They know it all but I wouldn't have the #1 Yamaha Virago site if they knew what they were doing
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Thanks for the info. I'll have a garage soon so I'm not worried about standard maintenance.

look at this one, http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...ition-96298517
Old 02-15-2010, 01:10 AM   #4
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

2ndgenz whats that site you run?
Old 02-15-2010, 01:35 AM   #5
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Them Suzuki's are popular, I sell allot of saddlebag guards for those.
If ya ever need any for what ever ya get let me know, Im 1/3 or less the price of retail.

[Here is a nice used bike article]
The February 2009 Cycle World the 10 best used bikes to buy for under $3K.
http://www.cycleworld.com/article.as...&page_number=2

[not biased just cause the Virago is listed on it ]
"1986 Yamaha Virago 1100
Best Cruiser, 1986
MSRP New: $4499
Blue Book Price: $2060
Not interested in a 23-year-old cruiser? That's understandable, but you may like to know that '96-'97-era 1100 Viragos—updated versions of that 1986 model—can be had for under our 3K limit. These torquey, good-handling V-Twins have been Yamaha mainstays for decades, and the same basic machines are still in the company's lineup, though renamed the Star V Star 1100 models (see "Love at First Bike," page 57). That alone is evidence of the Virago's popularity, durability and all- around competence."

Well I don't want to toot my own horn butt

http://viragotechforum.com/phpBB/portal.php

should note it all started with just a simple page about the early 81-83 Virago but it exploded into all years and sizes including the new star line.

http://viragoclassics.com/
Old 02-15-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
yamaha roadstar warrior is a great bike

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:00 AM   #7
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatterblast View Post
yamaha roadstar warrior is a great bike
[Virago = Drag Star, V Star, Virago Star, Wild Star, Road Star, Royal Star & Venture Star, Star....]

Yep, and still a Virago, they changed the name of the line but used the same basic engine for the past 28+ years, not cause they are cheap but when you build perfection, you run with it

Though will admist the early 81-83 Virago had an awful starting system [got one, easy to fix], but at that time they only had AMF HD to go head to head with and still out sold them as sure it sounded like a box of rocks but atleast it started
Old 02-15-2010, 02:13 AM   #8
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
heres some pics of my warrior i used to have it was 102ci or 1700cc
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:36 AM   #9
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatterblast View Post
heres some pics of my warrior i used to have it was 102ci or 1700cc
Thats beautiful
Old 02-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
TFord, since your a noob, and its your first bike, I have some REALLY good advice. Find somewhere that has a motorcycle safety course you can take. Most are about $80, the ones around here are set up in three sessions over three deys, the first two are 4 hrs, and after work, the third is about 8 hrs and on a saturday, and they provide the bikes, you bring your own helmet. The one set up through a few shops here is actually run by a few motorcycle patrol officers. THEY know what they are doing.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #11
springerpete
Orange GM freak

Drives: 2004 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
TFord, since your a noob, and its your first bike, I have some REALLY good advice. Find somewhere that has a motorcycle safety course you can take. Most are about $80, the ones around here are set up in three sessions over three deys, the first two are 4 hrs, and after work, the third is about 8 hrs and on a saturday, and they provide the bikes, you bring your own helmet. The one set up through a few shops here is actually run by a few motorcycle patrol officers. THEY know what they are doing.
When you are done with that join your local A.B.A.T.E. It's like the NRA for motorcycles. It protects your rights for riding.

On your choice of motorcycle, be sure to pic something you feel comfortable on. There are some places that rent motorcycles. Maybe you could rent and ride a few to get an idea of what your really want. Nothing is worse than having a bike that you hate and can't get rid of.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #12
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The Suzuki SV650 or SV1000 are great starter bikes to learn how to ride on, and tons of the 650's around used for dirt cheap.

Learn how to ride on something like that, then my vote would be for a Harley (not a Sportster).

Modding Harley's is just as addictive as cars. I'm putting a stroker crank and tons of other engine goodies in my Fatboy this winter and should wind up somewhere around 120 hp at the tire. Arm stretching torque of an American V-twin is my favorite flavor on two wheels.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #13
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
If you want a "starter" bike you should probably start small. If you want to buy a bike to keep driving a long time, I would suggest at least 700cc. Those are harder to outgrow.

I bought a Honda Magna 700 back in the mid '80's and drove it for 9 years before trading it in on a Harley FXLR. The Honda was GREAT and I sold it for $300 less than I paid for it all those years before. The guy that bought it from me called me TWICE after I sold it to him to say how much he loved it. A very satisfying bike.

The Harley was in the shop frequently and towed once. The last straw was having the shifting lever rewelded and replacing the clutch. The horn stopped functioning when I got it back and you have to remove the rear wheel just to get to it - WTF!. I happily sold it before it was even half paid for. I broke even price wise (if you do not count the cost of all those repairs ). Never again!

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
The Suzuki SV650 or SV1000 are great starter bikes to learn how to ride on, and tons of the 650's around used for dirt cheap.

Plus ONE HUNDRED

SV's have tons of spare parts available. Lots of power and cheap.

check out the classifieds on www.forums.13x.com

Lots of race bikes but also some great street bikes come up for sale by members who roadrace meaning that they are anal about maintenance and upkeep, et al...

Post Tenebras Lux

full of days is offline   Reply With Quote