Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Should Parents buy their kids first car?
Yes 51 17.29%
No 139 47.12%
Yes, only used 90 30.51%
Yes, only if its a Camaro 15 5.08%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
klob8752

Drives: 87 iroc
Should Parents buy Their Kids First Car?

I'm writing a mid-term paper on "Should Parents Buy Their Kids First Car" and I was wondering if people think its okay. Should it be a brand new car or a used car? Why should they? Why shouldn't they?
klob8752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Cdimic

Drives: Black 2ss/rs
IF they can afford too.
Cdimic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
1badSS/RS

Drives: Rally Yellow Transformers pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdimic View Post
IF they can afford too.
And if the kid is a good kid and not a terror.
1badSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
dtm4192

Drives: 2002 Camaro Z28
No! I'm almost 18 now and I bought my Camaro back in June. I pay for everthing associated with my car. Kids need to learn to have responsibility and if their parents just hand them the key to a car (New car, Camaro, or used) they are not going to respect it like they would if they pay for it themselves. I'm senior in high school and work 35 to 40 hours a week to pay for my car. I'm certainly not going to go out and do something stupid in it. If you just hand over the keys they are more than likely going to beat the hell out of it and end up hurting or killing themselves or an innocent bystander because they think that mommy and daddy will just get them a new one. It really pisses me off when I see kids get a car handed to them because I work so hard for mine. In my opinion if you don't work for it, you don't deserve it.
dtm4192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
I voted no simply b/c when things are given away they aren't appreciated as much as they are when you work for it. Of course I understand that a 16 year old would never have the money to buy a new car, so it's almost a moot point. Having said that, kids are perfectly happy in an old beater and are just happy to have a car.

Also a new car while safer, and less likely to break down, isn't something that's practical to learn to drive with. It's new, so why beat it up. Learn to drive on a beater b/c it doesn't matter if it gets beat up more....

Still, IMO the biggest point is buying a car as a gift might teach a kid about the price of the car, but never the value.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
Well here is how i look at it. and this is how it happen..

my dad was told me. ill buy you any car under 25K if you maintain good grades and such. and it was going to be my first car btw. turns out. i maintained my grade good. but i didnt get my first car to be 25K. i got a 1999 Mazda Protege.. guess why? so i can learn things you only learn on the street. and i am grateful they did that. because ive learn things about the streets in a cheap car. and ive learn to value things. later about a year later i got my 2010 camaro.. it also depends what the parents can afford and want. my dad all he ask is for me to do my skool. and he will support me in anything. am i spoiled? i guess? but i also put my part. my job is skool. i am grateful i got a beater first. and then my camaro. and to this date. i still have my beater lol.

so my choice in the poll would be a maybe, depends.
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
Eduk8r

Drives: Blue 2SS/RS
"SHOULD", parents should do what they think is best and something that most young people never consider "what they can afford to do". I Have been teaching high school for 35 years and it never ceases to amaze me what parents will do. I have seen parents go into hock up to the elbows to ensure their kids have the sharpest car or coolest motorcycle in the parking lot. The hell with the college fund got to live for today. One of the kids this year got a M series BMW. Wrecked it once in the first few weeks then totaled it a few months later. Now has a new 335i. Mother drives 10-12 year old minivan. But her kid looks cool.
Eduk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
HondaPowered

Drives: '09 Honda Civic LX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm4192 View Post
No! I'm almost 18 now and I bought my Camaro back in June. I pay for everthing associated with my car. Kids need to learn to have responsibility and if their parents just hand them the key to a car (New car, Camaro, or used) they are not going to respect it like they would if they pay for it themselves. I'm senior in high school and work 35 to 40 hours a week to pay for my car. I'm certainly not going to go out and do something stupid in it. If you just hand over the keys they are more than likely going to beat the hell out of it and end up hurting or killing themselves or an innocent bystander because they think that mommy and daddy will just get them a new one. It really pisses me off when I see kids get a car handed to them because I work so hard for mine. In my opinion if you don't work for it, you don't deserve it.
Alright, I'm 19, and I understand where you are coming from, however, which this may be just a few people, but I took care of my cars like they were my kids. Even my first car which was a 1988 buick park avenue. Right now I attend college full time, and work a part time job. To this day I haven't had to spend any money on my car, except for additions I wanted. I respect all cars the same to be honest. But like I said, I may be one of few. Just my 2 cents.

Dream camaro is either a 1/2SS with RS, black with red stripes, or red with white stripes.

No rice with my order.
HondaPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
EdRedCamaro2
4BC Motorsports

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm4192 View Post
You will always be a success - by any measure - with your healthy attitude and work ethic. Well stated!
Arrived 9/24/09

"In racing, they say that your car goes where your eyes go...I know it's true; racing doesn't lie" The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
EdRedCamaro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I can see parents helping their child - who has shown maturity and responsibility - to purchase a car. I think "buying" them their first car is sending too many negative and irresponsible signals. Earn it...it's worth more - even if only in the longer run.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #11
Class1E

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I voted yes because when you are in high school, you should be saving your money for college / vocational school / some form of education after HS. Not a car.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
I will say it depends. Can the parents afford to buy Jr. a car? Is Jr. trustworth enough? Let's say yes to both questions. Then I would offer to help out on a nice used car. Jr. needs to take some ownership here, hence the help from the parents. It teaches Jr. that to have nice things, you have to work for them. To keep nice things, you again have to work for them and take care of them once you have them. I understand with the economy, school work and the type of jobs and hours available to school age children, with out help from the parents, the kid will most likly be driving around in an unsafe POS so I'd be willing to help till Jr. proves he can't take care of something like a car.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
BalogUK
THE architect.

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
no... its the beginning of their independence- you want a car, you get a job, you save money, you plan, you think, you buy car, you learn to drive, you get insurance...its something they earn, and a personal goal... it creates responsibility and good habits- if you get a loan you have payments, if you pay it flat out you learn to save and budget.

i'm 26- my first car was a 92 cherokee that I started buying at 14- made monthly payments- next was an 05 f150 fx4 at 21 when I graduated undergrad...next was an 07 Jetta when I graduated grad school at 23, and in September I bought my Camaro...
#34122 EMPTIED, AT YARD ON 8/26/09; Delivered 9/07/09
MODS: Borla ATAK Cat-Back GFX (#140378), 35% Ceramic all-around, CAI, Inc. Intake w/ Scoop, Hurst Short Throw, Heritage Grille, GM Dove Tail, Laser Interceptor Triple v8.9, Passport Max, Pfadt ZL Stage 2
BalogUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Tough one, I don't have kids.

But when I turned 16, my parents gave my twin sister and I a 2 year old car with 14,000 miles on it................................my first Chevy...................................Vega