Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #15
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
I would remove, heat and dimple. Not sure how malleable the metal is. Wouldn't want the metal to split. If you could heat it cherry on the car, you could use a pipe. Not sure how you would contain the heat to keep from burning the paint on the adjacent areas though.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:49 AM   #16
jman17

Drives: 2011 SS-2/1969 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
And people wonder why I spent more for some Kooks headers. I may have "overspent" according to some, but I didn't want to have dented headers on my car from now until the end of time. (I'm NEVER selling this car unless some major life catastrophe comes along.)
^^^This also +2

No problems installing and no denting.

2011 SS-2 LS3 M6 MODS: P1X ProCharger, Squash dual fuel pumps, ID fuel injectors, Cam: Pat G designed/EPS Ground (228/234 .629”/.629” 114 LSA +4 advance), Lethal Racing ported throttle-body and intake manifold, Kooks 1 7/8” Long Tube Headers, Dynomax Bullet Cat-Back System, Skip Shift Eliminator
jman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #17
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
They should advertise them as HAMMER TO FIT HEADERS.

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:37 AM   #18
4WDlifeform

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS RS
I am running SE long tubes, I also had to dent at the passenger side frame. I missed it when installing, heard it tapping, marked the spot with a sharpie, pulled the header back out, dented, and re-installed. Like other has said, you get what you pay for. IMO, the removal and re-install to fix that issue to save 800ish dollars was well worth it. I think the headers are (otherwise) a quality product. If you've ever installed headers on any other engine, you should appreciate how easy our Camaros are to work on. The hardest part is getting the dipstick back in the hole!!

When I ordered my kit (extended O2 lines and metal gaskets), the packaging was poor and the gaskets were damaged. I called SE, they were quick to admit their error, and refunded me for the gaskets. I picked up a set of gaskets at the dealer for about what SE refunded me for. Sure, some inconvenience, but again, saved $800 bucks! Money that can be used to buy my wife a nice gift, gotta keep her happy too!! LOL

On a side note, I notice the name brand headers appear to have more bends. It is probably one way SE keeps costs down by minimizing labor and QC control over the more complex designs. Or maybe their machinery is cheaper, and simply can not perform the complicated bending? Who knows.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #19
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDlifeform View Post
The hardest part is getting the dipstick back in the hole!!
I really need to watch one of you attempt to do this who struggles with it. I've taken mine out 3 times and each time it took less than 30 seconds to get it back in. You can see the hole from the top at the right angle with a flash light, it literally took me longer to tighten down the bolt.
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #20
frey.199

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
This
frey.199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:06 AM   #21
frey.199

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDlifeform View Post
I am running SE long tubes, I also had to dent at the passenger side frame. I missed it when installing, heard it tapping, marked the spot with a sharpie, pulled the header back out, dented, and re-installed. Like other has said, you get what you pay for. IMO, the removal and re-install to fix that issue to save 800ish dollars was well worth it. I think the headers are (otherwise) a quality product. If you've ever installed headers on any other engine, you should appreciate how easy our Camaros are to work on. The hardest part is getting the dipstick back in the hole!!

When I ordered my kit (extended O2 lines and metal gaskets), the packaging was poor and the gaskets were damaged. I called SE, they were quick to admit their error, and refunded me for the gaskets. I picked up a set of gaskets at the dealer for about what SE refunded me for. Sure, some inconvenience, but again, saved $800 bucks! Money that can be used to buy my wife a nice gift, gotta keep her happy too!! LOL

On a side note, I notice the name brand headers appear to have more bends. It is probably one way SE keeps costs down by minimizing labor and QC control over the more complex designs. Or maybe their machinery is cheaper, and simply can not perform the complicated bending? Who knows.
I'm thinking about getting SE headers myself. I'm glad I saw this thread. Does this vibrating occur on every set of SE headers or is it just a luck of the draw between the car you have and the set of headers you get?
frey.199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #22
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by frey.199 View Post
I'm thinking about getting SE headers myself. I'm glad I saw this thread. Does this vibrating occur on every set of SE headers or is it just a luck of the draw between the car you have and the set of headers you get?
From seeing and reading many of these "which headers to purchase" threads, it appears to be luck of the draw. Some SE headers fit fine, others need "massaged". My guess it is all in which person welded that day or how their welds pulled the tubing as the welds cooled.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #23
lazerlemonta

Drives: 2010 C6 1LT
Hammers and headers are like PB&J lol I paid good money for my Hooker tri y and beat the crap out of 2 spots. That stuff didnt want to dent easy lol

Best ET 10.58 @ 131.8 stock heads and stock cam 453/445 SAE
10.62@134.82 GPI 281CC Heads, SS4 Cam and X1 Intake
Best 1/8 6.80@105.75
Best MPH 134.82
lazerlemonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #24
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
The last 2 sets of headers that i've installed on muscle cars both went in with no issues. However, if there was a conflict point, I would have no problem with denting the header to make it fit. As someone else said, Engine Masters pretty much proved that a few small clearance dents will have no effect on power.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #25
MPrento84

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I was on the fence between Speed Engineering headers and Steadfast Stainless that BTR sells. Ended up going with the Steadfast headers, shipping time being one of the deciding factors. Glad I did, they went in last night and fit perfect. Not close to hitting anything. I would recommend the Steadfast headers for anyone looking for budget headers. 499 shipped to the door, included GM gaskets, ARP hardware, o2 extensions, off road pipe, everything you need. Price difference wasn't that much once you added all those goodies on.
MPrento84 is offline   Reply With Quote