Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 02-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
JEBariffic

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Blowing in the wind

Salivations!

So I lost the tonue cover on my 2011 SS on the interstate. Blew off at just shy of 80mph. Luckily I was clear behind me, but a complete lack of shoulders made retrieving it out of the question. But good riddance. It looked nice, but was a pain.

So now I find the top wanting to catch air and come up at highways speeds without the cover on. I'm afraid it's gonna catch enough air to pop right up, with disasterous results.

Anyone have recommendations on securing it? Bungee cords maybe? I'm sure that would look horrible, but have no better idea. Tnx!
Old 02-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
I keep trying to wrap my head around how people are losing covers. I drive mine with the cover on up to 100+ and regularly at highway speeds (80) with no issues. FWIW I've been on the highway without the cover and had no issues. The is a bit of "flutter" in the top but Ive never worried that it will "pop out." Mechanically, I can't see that happening, but it will accelerate wear on the top material from the flutter.

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
JEBariffic

That was the third time it flew off. Glad you're not experiencing that problem.

I'd call it more than a flutter. The hard piece that rests on top comes fully out of the enclosure at speed. I'm concerned that if it catches enough wind it'll get pulled out. But if u don't see that as possible, I'll try not to worry. Appreciate ur response.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
done speeds up to triple digits with and without the cover -- all's good.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBariffic View Post
That was the third time it flew off. Glad you're not experiencing that problem.

I'd call it more than a flutter. The hard piece that rests on top comes fully out of the enclosure at speed. I'm concerned that if it catches enough wind it'll get pulled out. But if u don't see that as possible, I'll try not to worry. Appreciate ur response.

I'm saying its not really possible on a properly functioning and adjusted top. Something seems to be wrong with yours. I'd run it by the dealership. As for the cover, you used the bungees to attach it, right?

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #6
JEBariffic

Well that's interesting. The only thing attaching the cover to enclosure is the two tabs on the cover that snug up on the enclosure.

Bought the car used... Sounds like I'm missing something?
Old 02-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
I had a '12 and now have a '15 and never had issues losing the cover. Mine had the elastic stretchable attachment that went around the 2 studs on the upper back of the rear seat.......did yours have those or those crappy metal pieces for attachment?

I also have driven very fast on the highway with both vehicles and NO cover and have never had an issue with the top coming up......yes it flops around in the wind, but stays where it's supposed to.

Good luck!!
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
Abelardoo_12

Drives: 2011 camaro ss convertible
I also have a 2011 vert and also bought it used, i have a bit over a year with the car and i never had the tonue cover so every time i have the top down i drive it just like that without doing anything to it, I usually drive in highway at about 80 and theres been times when i have done close to twice that speed... It does flap a little but till this day ive never had a problem or an issue with it so you have nothing to worry about
Abelardoo_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #9
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Well that's interesting. The only thing attaching the cover to enclosure is the two tabs on the cover that snug up on the enclosure.

no you are not missing something.
the 2011 tonneau covers had tabs to secure to posts...the newer tonneau covers from 2012 ( I think) had bungee cords to attach to the posts instead of the tabs/clips.

my tonneau cover was replaced with the newer version under warranty in 2012( I think) because my original tonneau cover was delaminating and coming apart...
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #10
marsmann

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Vert M6
check top adjustment and height. make sure it sits down where it should in the car.

I have seen some tops that sit up slightly higher than they should and my guess is that they push up or apply pressure on the covers causing them to fly off. or your snaps are worn and not securing properly.

My '12 is the original plastic snaps and I have run it plenty at 80+ mph and no lift, no issues ever. Misalignment or adjustment would be my first guess.

I read these threads all the time and am confused too as I have 'tried' to see if mine will come off and it wont.
marsmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:17 AM   #11
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
I won't be caught in public putting on my tonneau. It is an embarrassing afterthought and I use mine only on long distance highway drives. 2011 and 12's have the older design without the bungee cords that made the tonneau prone to lift off.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:06 AM   #12
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by '11 cyber grey vert View Post
no you are not missing something.
the 2011 tonneau covers had tabs to secure to posts...the newer tonneau covers from 2012 ( I think) had bungee cords to attach to the posts instead of the tabs/clips.

my tonneau cover was replaced with the newer version under warranty in 2012( I think) because my original tonneau cover was delaminating and coming apart...
OP: Check to see if you have two fastening BOLTS installed. With the top down, they'd be where the tabs / bungee chords would attach. They're black Philips head bolts. Not every (new) owner knew about these as they didn't come pre-installed from the factory. They were usually in a plastic bag inside the black tonneau cover bag. If they weren't installed, the tonneau would be sure to blow off at some point.

Could you also please post some pics of your top in the down position and the area behind the "tulip" (the area between the retracted top and the black plastic liner) where the bolts should be located?
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #13
SatSky08

Drives: '08 Saturn Sky, '14 2LT Convertible
I've never had a problem with the tonneau cover lifting on my '15, but without it the minor flutter of the top material concerns me. I've discovered a fix that I'm sure will work for you -- if you don't mind the way it looks -- just raise the back windows. That will stabilize the air flow over the rear deck and calm everything down. (At least they're behind you so you can't see them.) If nothing else, keep this in mind so that if your tonneau cover or top looks as if it's starting to get caught by the air flow and lift up you can raise the windows to stabilize it.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #14
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
I keep trying to wrap my head around how people are losing covers. I drive mine with the cover on up to 100+ and regularly at highway speeds (80) with no issues. FWIW I've been on the highway without the cover and had no issues. The is a bit of "flutter" in the top but Ive never worried that it will "pop out." Mechanically, I can't see that happening, but it will accelerate wear on the top material from the flutter.
same here

Sounds like its the "old" design cover without the little bungee cords to hold on
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote