Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #85
z28racer

Drives: 12 SIM 2SS/ RS Sinergy M6,GMC2500HD
I like Prius better!!!!
z28racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #86
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28racer View Post
I like Prius better!!!!
You would like a prius. Fancy Pants.

Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:45 AM   #87
RXV_POOR

Drives: Looking to buy
FYI

I asked a friend of mine that's 25+year mechanic & certified smog tech that doesn't pencil whip anything about this new testing procedure. I was curious about a "tuned" car that has been reset to original or stock settings. What he told me is that MOST computers require 4 complete cold start & run up to operating temperature & drive around 10 miles cycles before it will read as an original or stock setting. Me personally I would do 6 just to me safe.
RXV_POOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:18 AM   #88
Mr pogo

Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXV_POOR View Post
I asked a friend of mine that's 25+year mechanic & certified smog tech that doesn't pencil whip anything about this new testing procedure. I was curious about a "tuned" car that has been reset to original or stock settings. What he told me is that MOST computers require 4 complete cold start & run up to operating temperature & drive around 10 miles cycles before it will read as an original or stock setting. Me personally I would do 6 just to me safe.
what he is talking about are the ecm monitors for each part of the emission system, i.e. cats, 02 sensors, egr, fuel evap system etc.

when an ecm has a code cleared or the battery disconnected then all of the monitors are reset and the car has to be driven varying distances until each passes again.
but depending on make and year it can take more or less than 4 cold cycles, you can google gm drive cycles to find out more.
http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

also depending on what year the car is you can pass with a monitor or two not set, for 96 obd2 you can have 2 monitors not set and still pass smog.
many obd2 code scanners will show the status of the monitors.
Mr pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #89
WackoCamaro

Drives: Blue
i would like to climb into this subject since im studying to get my smog license. They want to develop a program to use just the OBD2 monitors and a visual inspection. But what there talking about is checking protocol, and software on the PCM. So tunes and what not will not pass unless carb legal. 2000+ year cars will require every monitor to pass except one being the EVAP. So i want to see how ARB goes along doing this to check all the legal tunes for forced induction.
WackoCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #90
Briand069

Drives: 1997/1969 Camaro's
So, I decided to contact the ARB to see exactly what the following 2 reasons for a OBD test failure meant

(7) The vehicle’s OBD system data is inappropriate for the vehicle being tested;
Response- inappropriate data would be OBDII data retrieved during the OBDII test portion of a Smog Check that does not match the expected identification data for that vehicle. The purpose of this is to detect clean plugging where a surrogate vehicle is illegally used instead of the appropriate vehicle.

8) The vehicle’s OBD system data does not match the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or an Air Resources Board (ARB) exempted OBD software configuration;
Response- OBD data that does not match the OEM data will be used to identify tampered emission control systems, for example aftermarket programmers or incorrect OEM software.

#8 is the one that I think is going to be a problem for people with tunes.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #91
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
So how would #8 deal with an ECU that was reflashed back to the car's original (OE) tune?

Never mind any consequential mechanical changes that you might either want to or have to undo.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #92
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
So how would #8 deal with an ECU that was reflashed back to the car's original (OE) tune?

Never mind any consequential mechanical changes that you might either want to or have to undo.

Norm
I think we all wonder about that. My shop says couldnt be detected if a "smog" legal tune as everything is the same save for full throttle and all cars/engines all vary to the calibrations or values anyway. but can it detect swapping back And if it did,what Are they going to do, fail you with a stock tune? Then what, cant drive the car? I guess they will pay you for the car that is no longer smog legal, or most likely go to referee station, get fined and certify then I guess.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #93
45th rs/2ss

Drives: 45th Anniversary rs/2ss
what if you get a catback (which is legal) but drive an L99, so you want to disable the AFM for noise reasons. would this be illegal as well?
45th rs/2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #94
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th rs/2ss View Post
what if you get a catback (which is legal) but drive an L99, so you want to disable the AFM for noise reasons. would this be illegal as well?
Depends on what catback because not all of them are "legal" but who cares because it's an easy swap. To get rid of AFM you need to tune so when it's smog time just flash it back to stock and you might not need to do that when its your time to smog.
Gen5Diy.com.....http://www.gen5diy.com/
Wretched Motorsports..www.wretchedms.com/
Pedders USA
...http://www.peddersusa.com/
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #95
Neriah

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I think it might be time to pay the $ to go to a smog station to have my car tested. There are no check engine lights and all the 02 sensors are reading correct. Then that will be the true test to find out about how this new system will work. If my car fails... who cares? its still a few years away from requiring a smog. If I pass or fail I will be able to report back with the findings either way. Then it will be good $$ spent.
Full BMR bushings and suspension.
Neriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #96
Rigzo510

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neriah View Post
I think it might be time to pay the $ to go to a smog station to have my car tested. There are no check engine lights and all the 02 sensors are reading correct. Then that will be the true test to find out about how this new system will work. If my car fails... who cares? its still a few years away from requiring a smog. If I pass or fail I will be able to report back with the findings either way. Then it will be good $$ spent.
Take one for the team!! lol
Old 11-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #97
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Maybe it's time you all just band together and start a "Lets Move out of California" campaign. There are 49 other states ya know, just pick one.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #98
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Maybe it's time you all just band together and start a "Lets Move out of California" campaign. There are 49 other states ya know, just pick one.
Yea and a few of them are worse than California. We don't have yearly bs inspections, smog check every 6 years isn't bad in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Gen5Diy.com.....http://www.gen5diy.com/
Wretched Motorsports..www.wretchedms.com/
Pedders USA
...http://www.peddersusa.com/
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote