Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Decepticon21

Drives: 2010 Camaro v6
Oil Pressure

Since I had my motor replaced 5k miles ago I have been very paranoid with my car lately. Scared its going to happen again. Oil pressure usually stays a little bit about the first hash mark on the center oil gauge. Sitting in Cleveland morning traffic today I glanced down to see the oil pressure needle directly on the first hash mark line. This is the lowest I've ever seen it, this woke my butt up! I gave it some gas an it went right back up. It didn't go below the first hash mark but that needle was sitting dead nuts on that hash mark.... Is this ok??? I just got to work an am letting it sit for awhile before I check the oil. Its only got around 1900-2000 or so miles on this 2nd oil change.
Decepticon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
sloSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
At idle my gauge reads between the low hash mark and 30.
At cruise the reading is between the upper hash mark and 30.
32,000 miles and counting with very good oil analysis report performed at 22k miles.
edit: after posting I noticed you have a V-6. Hope others can provide sample data for you for your engine type

Last edited by sloSS; 10-30-2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Noticed post was about V-6
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepticon21 View Post
Since I had my motor replaced 5k miles ago I have been very paranoid with my car lately. Scared its going to happen again. Oil pressure usually stays a little bit about the first hash mark on the center oil gauge. Sitting in Cleveland morning traffic today I glanced down to see the oil pressure needle directly on the first hash mark line. This is the lowest I've ever seen it, this woke my butt up! I gave it some gas an it went right back up. It didn't go below the first hash mark but that needle was sitting dead nuts on that hash mark.... Is this ok??? I just got to work an am letting it sit for awhile before I check the oil. Its only got around 1900-2000 or so miles on this 2nd oil change.
Decepticon21,

Very sorry to hear about your oil pressure concerns as I certainly understand the unease you're feeling. I realize you're seeking community opinions, and wanted to extend an offer of assistance. If needed, feel free to contact me privately and we can get the process involving an official diagnosis started.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Oil pressure specs for that engine are: 10psi minimum @ idle, 20psi minimum @ 2000RPM.

It should be fine.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
Decepticon21

Checked oil yesterday after I posted this, The oil level is perfect an clean. I monitored it going home and into work today. Everything seems ok, It just scared me that at a idle it drops so low after sitting in morning traffic.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I'm glad that everything is okay now! Please keep us posted if further assistance is needed.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Checked oil yesterday after I posted this, The oil level is perfect an clean. I monitored it going home and into work today. Everything seems ok, It just scared me that at a idle it drops so low after sitting in morning traffic.
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
Decepticon21

I wonder if there is a way to boost up oil pressure on these motors in anyway especially at idle?
Old 10-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
I wonder if there is a way to boost up oil pressure on these motors in anyway especially at idle?
Simple answer to that is "no." Complex answer is "maybe." The oil pressure relief in the oil pump could be altered to increase the pressure at which it blows off excess pressure (not easy). You could run a heavier oil, which would tend to stay thicker at running temperature and might bring it up (not advisable) or you could increase the idle speed (drivability issues arise).

Simply, the oil thins out some as it heats up, so the pressure at idle drops. The oil pump is still circulating LOTS of oil, it just doesn't show as being pumped under a lot of pressure. Add to that, the idling engine just doesn't need to have a higher pressure until RPM's increase anyway. Not only all of that, you're viewing conditions through a $5 indicator that's not really all that accurate anyway, but it's pretty.

Put a tee in the sending unit and plumb in a real mechanical gauge if you want to see how oil pressure really jumps around with changes in temperature and engine speed.

Again, what you're seeing is no cause for alarm and nothing needs to be done about it.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Why was your motor replaced already? I have a 2010 as well and have been wondering what the correct pressures should be. Now i'll have to mark it down on my way to work tomorrow….

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:32 AM   #10
Decepticon21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
Simple answer to that is "no." Complex answer is "maybe." The oil pressure relief in the oil pump could be altered to increase the pressure at which it blows off excess pressure (not easy). You could run a heavier oil, which would tend to stay thicker at running temperature and might bring it up (not advisable) or you could increase the idle speed (drivability issues arise).

Simply, the oil thins out some as it heats up, so the pressure at idle drops. The oil pump is still circulating LOTS of oil, it just doesn't show as being pumped under a lot of pressure. Add to that, the idling engine just doesn't need to have a higher pressure until RPM's increase anyway. Not only all of that, you're viewing conditions through a $5 indicator that's not really all that accurate anyway, but it's pretty.

Put a tee in the sending unit and plumb in a real mechanical gauge if you want to see how oil pressure really jumps around with changes in temperature and engine speed.

Again, what you're seeing is no cause for alarm and nothing needs to be done about it.

John B.
Thanks I was thinking same thing about the oil heating up an thinning out and etc. Makes sense now I've had chance to think about it.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #11
Decepticon21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
Why was your motor replaced already? I have a 2010 as well and have been wondering what the correct pressures should be. Now i'll have to mark it down on my way to work tomorrow….

My Motor was replaced already because it started to tick real bad sounded like marbles in a blender when you'd get on it getting onto the highway. Lost power and eventually oil pressure flat lined out sitting at a stop light after picking up from dealer an them telling me everything was fine with it..... which I knew wasn't the case. In a nut shell lost oil pressure, broke some bearings, etc.. Motor had 71-72k on it?

Correct pressure from what I have gathered with everyone else cars on here with same motor is just above the first hash mark on the oil gauge when at idle, But when driving obviously should but a lot higher. Mine stays up high while driving.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Just checked mine today and at idle i was just about 30 (first hash mark). When driving i range from the middle hash mark, moving but not really on the gas and around 70 when I am accelerating. I feel better now lol

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
firedruish

Ok...here's another question...just changed the oil and added some lucas....The pressure Guage is at 70 psi...never seen it that high...it's cold about 25° degrees outside..should I be worried...The dip stick shows its full..thanks in advance
Old 12-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
70 PSI is normal at start up.

Here are some photos I took of mine at different times

1st photo is at 40 mph

2nd is at 70 mph

3rd is at idle and warm.

These are all considered normal.
Attached Images