Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 01-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Drives: "Marolyn"
Fans...

So long story short I think I blew out 1 of the fans under the hood from letting it run for too long (I guess comp thinks it's overheating ). Anyways, it still can run obviously but would there be a quick way to shut off these fans myself? Moneys tight atm so a pro is gonna have to wait :(
Fotowns Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
You want to shut off the fans? Sorry to hear about the malfunction dude :(

So are the fans turning right now then?

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
You want to shut off the fans? Sorry to hear about the malfunction dude :(

So are the fans turning right now then?
Yea I can hear them running and the 1 that blew out kinda makes a weird sound...it made a hell of sound when it blew, like a blender going off, and now it still makes a garbled sound, just not as hardcore as a blender lol. I wish I could tell you what it looks like, but I can't find the damn thing under the hood
Old 01-05-2011, 03:04 AM   #4
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotowns Finest View Post
Yea I can hear them running and the 1 that blew out kinda makes a weird sound...it made a hell of sound when it blew, like a blender going off, and now it still makes a garbled sound, just not as hardcore as a blender lol. I wish I could tell you what it looks like, but I can't find the damn thing under the hood
I think I still have my Hanes manual, let me get back to you on that...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
barney1golf

Drives: 1997 Camaro Z28 (sold)
If the fan is still running, it sounds like a mounting srew or bolt broke that holds the fan in place and the fan blade is rubbing on the plastic shroud or worse yet, rubbing against the radiator. If it is rubbing the radiator stop running car now!!!! You might wear a hole in the radiator. If I remember correctly the fans mount in the shroud and you can unplug the electrical for the fans and remove upper radiator hose then unbolt the shroud and shroud and fans come out as one. Then you take out the bad motor and blade and replace. I had to replace the radiator on a different 97 than the one I have now. Good luck. If you just look at how it sits in there its not too difficult to do.
barney1golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney1golf View Post
If the fan is still running, it sounds like a mounting srew or bolt broke that holds the fan in place and the fan blade is rubbing on the plastic shroud or worse yet, rubbing against the radiator. If it is rubbing the radiator stop running car now!!!! You might wear a hole in the radiator. If I remember correctly the fans mount in the shroud and you can unplug the electrical for the fans and remove upper radiator hose then unbolt the shroud and shroud and fans come out as one. Then you take out the bad motor and blade and replace. I had to replace the radiator on a different 97 than the one I have now. Good luck. If you just look at how it sits in there its not too difficult to do.
Ok I'll see what I can find, thank you