Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Drives: "Marolyn"
Mirror scratches

Hey guys, I have these really small, very fine scratches in my side view mirrors, and I think they are small enough to where I think I could apply something that would fill them in. For instance I can only see them during the night when a street light glares into them, not during the day.

I know turtlewax is for the body, but would that work for a mirror?
Fotowns Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Turtlewax shouldn't come anywhere near your car. Don't you want to remove the scratches rather than have to keep filling them? You could pick up a bottle of SHR and applicator pad from Adams and apply by hand if the scratches are really that small.

If you want to fill them, that's not really my thing, can't help you there.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Drives: "Marolyn"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Turtlewax shouldn't come anywhere near your car. Don't you want to remove the scratches rather than have to keep filling them? You could pick up a bottle of SHR and applicator pad from Adams and apply by hand if the scratches are really that small.

Well yea I'd rather just totally get rid of them, I just didn't know there was a product for it. I'll give what you said a look
Fotowns Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
ramar
2nd Childhood

Drives: Synergy Green
3 small scratches need fixed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post

I have 3 small scratches on the curve of my hood, maybe the longest is 3/4". I think it's from a tom cat that "was" hanging around here that went up on my car's hood. So they are 3 in a row and thin, would the Adams SHR work to remove them with a little elbow grease?
ramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
wanted to post a thread like this earlier, side mirrors scratch too damn easily, like the radio face. Wonder if it's really an adhesive mirror film.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
Ugh. My passenger-side mirror has a ton of scratches. No idea where they came from. I think they were there when I picked up the car, too.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
svrds10

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 Wht/Slvr ext Wht/Gry int
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramar View Post
I have 3 small scratches on the curve of my hood, maybe the longest is 3/4". I think it's from a tom cat that "was" hanging around here that went up on my car's hood. So they are 3 in a row and thin, would the Adams SHR work to remove them with a little elbow grease?
Get yourself some 4" focal pads from adams. They attach to a drill. Use the orange pad with some SHR. Work over the area several times making sure not to let it sit in 1 area to long. As long as it is not deep it will get most of it out. Follow that up with some Revive, FMP, and some Americana/Buttery Wax/Machine Wax....

I got 2 rather large scratches out of my wifes orange challenger doing this. Takes a little time but it does work. If that does not work you may need to research a little on wet sanding. Its not hard to do if you research it alot before hand.

Good luck

'10 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS - Summit White W/ Silver Stripes
'
09 Dodge Challenger R/T - Hemi Orange
svrds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
ramar
2nd Childhood

Drives: Synergy Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by svrds10 View Post
Get yourself some 4" focal pads from adams. They attach to a drill. Use the orange pad with some SHR. Work over the area several times making sure not to let it sit in 1 area to long. As long as it is not deep it will get most of it out. Follow that up with some Revive, FMP, and some Americana/Buttery Wax/Machine Wax....

I got 2 rather large scratches out of my wifes orange challenger doing this. Takes a little time but it does work. If that does not work you may need to research a little on wet sanding. Its not hard to do if you research it alot before hand.

Good luck
Thanks, I have never-ever used power tools on my car so maybe I'll practice on the tractor first-it has a ton of scratches to practice on!
ramar is offline   Reply With Quote