Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
Lots of questions about mods

I ran across this list of performance categories and figured that i would ask some questions about the ones that I do not have as much knowledge about as i would like to. Thank you in advance for your help and knowledge.

Intake-Is there a common consensus on this board as to which one is best?
Catch Can- can i install the majority of these with an afternoon and common hand tools?
Is there a consensus about which one is best or will RevXtreme and Elite do just about the same?
Superchargers - Difference between roots and centrifugal besides mounting and shape?
Super/Turbochargers- does anyone know if a company is trying to make an option for under 4K? Has it been figured out what a safe level of psi in a LFX is?
Nitrous-I have looked into nitrous and have a good knowledge of it. However last time i did serious research was a few years back. Has there been any developments in the last few years that has made this a safer option *crosses fingers*
Heads- given the efficiency of these motors, without aftermarket mods is there still a good bit of power to find in these?
Intake Manifold Spacer- from what i have read the LLT has heat soak issues that the LFX does not. Will an intake manifold spacer still help out on the 2014s?
Is this the same as a manifold insulator?
Mass Airflow Sensorr- How is it that the aftermarket sensors can increase flow by so much and not generate more power? Is the fuel system already maxed out?
Piston Heads- Is any company planning on coming up with high compression ones? Has anyone increased the compression on the LFX?
Plenum Spacer- has anyone seen gains from these on the LFX?
Ported intake manifold- does anyone make this for the LFX?
-why is it given that GM is willing to spend all kinds of money doing R&D to come up with a whole new way to get exhaust out of the car and not have the intake manifold be optimized?
Manifold Insulator- does anyone make this for the LFX?
Lightweight Pulleys- anyone have plans for these?
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
I ran across this list of performance categories and figured that i would ask some questions about the ones that I do not have as much knowledge about as i would like to. Thank you in advance for your help and knowledge.

I personally prefer Roto Fab and Cold Air Inductions. Have both, liked them equally.

Catch Can- can i install the majority of these with an afternoon and common hand tools?

You can install it in half and hour with a basic set of tools.

Is there a consensus about which one is best or will RevXtreme and Elite do just about the same?

I have had both. I prefer the Elite Can. I like the threaded in metal fittings and the screw off bottom instead of the hose and valve on the RX unit.

Superchargers - Difference between roots and centrifugal besides mounting and shape?

No input here.

Super/Turbochargers- does anyone know if a company is trying to make an option for under 4K? Has it been figured out what a safe level of psi in a LFX is?

An LFX can take a moderate amount of boost. You won't find a worthwhile setup under $4K.

Nitrous-I have looked into nitrous and have a good knowledge of it. However last time i did serious research was a few years back. Has there been any developments in the last few years that has made this a safer option *crosses fingers*

Good tune. Good plugs.

Heads- given the efficiency of these motors, without aftermarket mods is there still a good bit of power to find in these?

I'm not sure that anyone has done a lot of head work on the LFX motors. I wouldn't consider it a viable avenue for anything less than the most serious performance guys.

Intake Manifold Spacer- from what i have read the LLT has heat soak issues that the LFX does not. Will an intake manifold spacer still help out on the 2014s?

The LFX engines has a plastic intake that heat soaks less, though I thought I saw someone making a spacer for it regardless.

Mass Airflow Sensorr- How is it that the aftermarket sensors can increase flow by so much and not generate more power? Is the fuel system already maxed out?

Not real keen on this, but the fuel system has a little more to go in the LFX cars, but a new mass air flow sensor isn't going to increase any air flow. All it could do is BS the computer into changing the amount of fuel going in I suspect.

Piston Heads- Is any company planning on coming up with high compression ones? Has anyone increased the compression on the LFX?

The LFX is already pretty high. It's in the 11:1 + range If I recall. I think any aftermarket pistons were probably stronger and either the same or lower compression for boosted applications.

No input here.

-why is it given that GM is willing to spend all kinds of money doing R&D to come up with a whole new way to get exhaust out of the car and not have the intake manifold be optimized?

Because as far as GM is concerned, it works fine as is.

I thought one was in production or being designed.

Not real sure, but I doubt it. Perhaps a set of under drive pulleys exist.

Sounds like you are hunting for horsepower. It can be had out of the LFX but you will probably pay dearly for it.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
Thank you very much for all of the information and input.
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:54 AM   #4
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
I have a 2SS vert on order. While waiting, I have researched extensively on this site and conversed directly with many C5 members, tuners and suppliers. While you will get arguments on which is "best", I believe there is agreement on "top tier" products that are well made and deliver as good of performance as is available on the market. I can't address all your needs but based on my research here, I will be making the following mods after I put about 500 miles on the car.

Catch Can
-I'm going with Rx. I have had extensive conversations with Tracy about all my mods. He has been extremely helpful and supportive. If there is anyone who knows more about catch cans, I don't know who it would be. BTW, he endorses the Elite2 as a worthy competitor but thinks their original is too small. For the record, I've become so convinced of the deleterious effects of blowby being fed back into my intake, I'm also buying Rx's 1LE style clean side separator. Read Tracy's tech articles here:

http://www.revxtreme.com/index.php?r...gory&cat_id=17

CAI
-Cold Air Inductions has all the features and performance and looks good under the hood. They may have equals but I doubt there are any better.

Ported Throttle Body
-you don't mention this but it seems to be a consensus by tuners here that the CNC ported TB by VRAM is the best bang-for-the-buck mod available today for the LS3.

Headers
-I've settled on ARH 1-7/8" with cats and X pipe to-the-axle kit preserving my OE NPP exhaust. ARH has been in the business a long time, uses high grade SS, manufactures in the U.S., makes as much power as anybody and has the staff to be very supportive of their dealers and end users. There are cheaper products but, well, you get the idea.

Tune
-dynotune by Mike Norris Motorsports in Indy. I'm fortunate to live close to one of the consensus 'most knowledgable and experienced' LS tuners in the country. There are other good ones that sponsor this forum. Look around and you'll figure it out.

Good luck with your build. Start a member journal so we can all follow along.

Last edited by Indydriver; 03-12-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:08 AM   #5
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Funny............you ran across that list of perfomrance stuff after I sent you the message to go do some research and reading.

You would actually get even more help, (well maybe not now), if you had posted this in a V6 section either the LLT or the LFX. As we have many "experts" in this area and could help too.

Oh well, Good Luck.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:34 AM   #6
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #7
cliffdog89

Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post

You will get several different opinions on this but from all my research and personal experience - roto-fab and cold air inductions seem to make the best cold air intake systems. I personally have the Cold air inductions and I love it and would highly recommend.

I would go with the Elite catch can through apex chase (forum sponsor on here). I would assume both catch cans are comparable but chase has is extremely responsive to questions you may have for him.

Also - chase is coming out with braided hoses and fittings for the v6 which will pretty your engine bay up. (he already has them for the LS3 and L99 engines) http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331206

You'll also want to get the vmax ported throttle body.

Under 4K? I doubt it. The only kit that I know exists is the IPF supercharger which runs in the 7K range plus install/tune

find etmx183 - he has lots of excellent and hands on experience with nos. Also look at this thread I started - lots of great information regarding a Nos setup. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329770

Again, talk to etmx - the best tune you are going to get is from matt@FSP - he has a mail order package and will remote tune your car for you. He can pull roughly an extra 20RWHP (more if you have a forced induction system).

you can get some additional low end torque but it may cost you some high end HP. check out this thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307431

Those are the questions I have answers for. Something you left out: CAMS are also in development for the LFX: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242610

Good luck with your build! if you have any more questions feel free to hit me up.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #8
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Peruse the camaro5 LFX forum for all the info you want. A couple of the guys are always designing and adding new mods, and it sounds like you could add a lot to the conversations yourself. Come kick it with us!
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote