Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #239
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
sorry to resurrect but am interested in this unit. did the fitment issues ever get worked out?

also i see people in other threads complain there is no lid on the unit like the CAI. but it looks like with this unit, the lid is really the hood, right? i mean once you close your hood it seals off the intake box and is the same thing as a lid like on the CAI?

also, what the heck does velocity stack mean?
My box fit ok.

Yes the hood is the lid.

Velocity stack directs airflow. Look at Halltech's website.

I you go this route consider adding the ADM scoop as it will get you a lot more access to ambient air.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #240
Halltech

Drives: 2010 Halltech Camaro SS, 2008 C6Z06
Quote:
sorry to resurrect but am interested in this unit. did the fitment issues ever get worked out?

also i see people in other threads complain there is no lid on the unit like the CAI. but it looks like with this unit, the lid is really the hood, right? i mean once you close your hood it seals off the intake box and is the same thing as a lid like on the CAI?

The larger area from which the filter breathes allows much better flow. What fitment issues?

There are none I am aware of. We've sold 350 units without a complaint or return.

Yes the top seal on the heat shield prevents any engine heat from entering the intake.

Look at Jannetty's results. The intake air temps only increased 1 degree. That would not be possible if it was not keeping all the heat out of the filter box area.

Having a sealed box creates resistance to flow at high rpm.
Halltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #241
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:

I agree with Jim in that there isn't any fitment issues. Mine fit perfectly fine. I did add some extra "edgeing" to seal up the compartment the best I could but I think it was more just me being anal as Teds CAI shoot out showed it to have IAT's within 2 degrees of ambient. As Jim pointed out, the box is purposely built bigger than most of the others to increase the available air to the filter. The velocity stack is a funnel like inlet to the intake tube. I believe this is the one of the things that makes it the best intake on the market. This along with a one piece intake tube are the main things that drastically decrease airflow turbulence.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #242
Halltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I agree with Jim in that there isn't any fitment issues. Mine fit perfectly fine. I did add some extra "edgeing" to seal up the compartment the best I could but I think it was more just me being anal as Teds CAI shoot out showed it to have IAT's within 2 degrees of ambient. As Jim pointed out, the box is purposely built bigger than most of the others to increase the available air to the filter. The velocity stack is a funnel like inlet to the intake tube. I believe this is the one of the things that makes it the best intake on the market. This along with a one piece intake tube are the main things that drastically decrease airflow turbulence.
I think it was 1 degree rise, and you can see that much variance in room temperature during pulls. Effectively for every 10 degrees rise, there is a 1% loss in power from lower air density. When the IATs reach 86F, the ECM begins to pull timing dramatically.

Jim
Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #243
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halltech View Post
The larger area from which the filter breathes allows much better flow. What fitment issues?

There are none I am aware of. We've sold 350 units without a complaint or return.

Yes the top seal on the heat shield prevents any engine heat from entering the intake.

Look at Jannetty's results. The intake air temps only increased 1 degree. That would not be possible if it was not keeping all the heat out of the filter box area.

Having a sealed box creates resistance to flow at high rpm.
oh i just saw on a previous page of this same thread 1 or 2 people were having some fitment issues...nothing major though, just a couple of tweaks they had to make.

i know some people use the ADM scoop but i was thinking about the concept. what if you just cut the hole in the plastic (as you would if installing the ADM scoop) but put no scoop there? wouldn't that at least provide some cooler air to enter the general area of your car where your filter is?
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #244
Halltech

Quote:
oh i just saw on a previous page of this same thread 1 or 2 people were having some fitment issues...nothing major though, just a couple of tweaks they had to make.

i know some people use the ADM scoop but i was thinking about the concept. what if you just cut the hole in the plastic (as you would if installing the ADM scoop) but put no scoop there? wouldn't that at least provide some cooler air to enter the general area of your car where your filter is?
We have a carbon fiber intake for the ZL1 that gets cold air from behind headlight area.

Jim
Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #245
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:

That would probably work better than nothing but the biggest thing you need to look at is removing the windshield washer bottle. That's the thing that is blocking most of the air flow up to the the filter.

Thats the same issue with just about all of the intakes. It's not specific to Halltech.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote