Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-26-2014, 11:23 PM   #29
TannerJPowell

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztsmith86 View Post
Another thought to people looking to achieve better flows out of your oil pumps. You could just use a lighter weight oil, there would be some trade offs, but a lighter weight oil would give you better flow characteristics through any oil pump
I would have to mostly disagree with the applicability of this statement to internal combustion engines.

Because the oil functions to float mains, rods, and cam bearings but splash lubricate other parts, reducing viscosity could cause such a high fluid flow across the bearings that you could not practically maintain bearing oil pressure sufficient to float the crank under load.

This would be very bad.

Increase oil pressure with the same oil will increase bearing oil pressure and enable you to support more power (since it can float the rotating assembly under higher load situations).

A general racers rule of thumb has been 10 psi per 1000 rpm.

Your advice may be good for stock applications, but having more pressure and volume is often required as power levels go up in order to continue to float the bearings under higher load and rpms and because the oil is also serving to remove heat from the system and pass it through a cooler.

The questions are, what is the capacity of the stock system in terms of bearing load, heat removal, etc; what do these capacities equate to in HP (intermittent and steady) and rpm handling and where is the first weakest link. Sounds like the 50psi relief in the oil pan should be the first to go. The easy and cheap answer is simply, more volume and pressure.

I'd be curious to know if the crank is lubed prior to this relief. I would tend to doubt that the rotating assembly doesn't get at least 65 to 70 psi as rpm climb. It could be that the pump outflows this relief above some rpm.

How does the ls3 pump compare to an LSA?

Last edited by TannerJPowell; 01-26-2014 at 11:42 PM.
TannerJPowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #30
chris7488

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
i have a night fury cam on a ls3 what pump should i use
chris7488 is offline   Reply With Quote