Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #29
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I know that this is supposed to be a "no tune" CAI, but has anyone logged fuel trims to see if they change at all? I would imagine they'd have to change somewhat.

I'm assuming that filter is an oil filter, anyone try running with a dry flow?
A good friend put his logger on my car after about a month of daily driving. FT's were -5 which is right in line with what the OEM intake does.

You have to realize that FT's aren't a direct measure of how much air you're putting into the engine. They're a measure of how much the PCM has to adjust for the air that is or isn't being seen by the MAF. The O2 sensors play a part in ths as well. A properly built NO TUNE CAI should flow more air than the OEM setup while letting the MAF see it to keep from running lean and throwing codes.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #30
Soundwave

Drives: Camaro SS(2)/RS
Quote:
You have to realize that FT's aren't a direct measure of how much air you're putting into the engine. They're a measure of how much the PCM has to adjust for the air that is or isn't being seen by the MAF. The O2 sensors play a part in ths as well. A properly built NO TUNE CAI should flow more air than the OEM setup while letting the MAF see it to keep from running lean and throwing codes.
Then you should have that friend hook it back up and log RPMS, MAF, LTFT, and AFRs for all of us to see what the differences are. I hate this guessing stuff. I'm sure at some point I'll decide on something, I just hate being the guinea pig for things. These companies should provide this info. I'm not asking simple questions like "WHAT IS A MAF", I'm asking for someone to spend 5 minutes to do a simple log. You want an accurate MAF curve. -5 is not horrible, but you want them as close to 0 as possible. What points was it -5, WOT, cruising, part throttle? You could be -5 cruising, and -23 part throttle and still not throw a code. Somebody's got to be able to do this!?

Please?? lol.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #31
Halltech

Drives: 2010 Halltech Camaro SS, 2008 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
I just installed my new Yellow Jacket. Wow! I mean Wow! Yes, it's that good.

I shopped around a lot before I made my decision. I'm a novice but I have a good eye for quality. Having spoken with several dealers of CAI's and their manufacturers I learned some good stuff. I also read a lot on this message board.

After speaking with Jim and hearing about his research and development--which means a lot considering his experience working with Corvettes--as well as his strong guarantee that the regular Yellow Jacket would not throw codes nor would it require a tune, and also the HP claims, I was sold.

I was somewhat disappointed in the instructions that are available for the install. It's all good, I was able to install it myself with a limited toolbox and about 14 years away from installing bolt-on mods. The install took me about 2 hours.

The fit is really tight and the parts are well-crafted. If there were better instructions, which might include some advice for certain phases of the install, and also numbered steps for how to proceed, the install could be completed by someone like myself in about 25-30 mins.

My only other mod is a Corsa catback. What a pair these two mods make. Wow!

Right when I turned on the car, it just bellowed out a monster growl that wasn't there before with just the Corsa. My Corsa system is loud and throaty now because of the Yellow Jacket. There's your proof, Jim. Love the sound!

I don't even care about HP numbers at the moment (I just had my car dynoed, it has really good numbers 336 HP/361 TQ, on a Mustang dyno, with just the Corsa on it), but I could tell immediately when I drove down my street that my car was faster now that I have the Yellow Jacket.

Then, I took it for a spin and in every RPM range my car had more pull.

I have the SS automatic, btw.

So, all in all, Halltech is the bomb. As long as no codes show up or check engine lights, I'll be stoked. And down the road I'll get another dyno to see what the increase was.

Thanks Halltech.
Nice talking with you today. Glad overall you are happy. Let me know if the hose clamp sorts out the filter not staying put issue.

Halltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #32
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Then you should have that friend hook it back up and log RPMS, MAF, LTFT, and AFRs for all of us to see what the differences are. I hate this guessing stuff. I'm sure at some point I'll decide on something, I just hate being the guinea pig for things. These companies should provide this info. I'm not asking simple questions like "WHAT IS A MAF", I'm asking for someone to spend 5 minutes to do a simple log. You want an accurate MAF curve. -5 is not horrible, but you want them as close to 0 as possible. What points was it -5, WOT, cruising, part throttle? You could be -5 cruising, and -23 part throttle and still not throw a code. Somebody's got to be able to do this!?

Please?? lol.
This friend is in Memphis as he's one of the lead tuners for Hypertech. He came down to read the parameters specifically from my Halltech unit. He put his computer on the car, we cruised around, did a couple WOT runs, and buttoned it all back up. The car ran flawlessly and ALL numbers were dead on. While I don't have the actual graph that you're wanting to look at, I can say that he said all the correction numbers were as good as the stock box. For the record, the stock box can vary as much or more than a well designed CAI. -5 is not only NOT horrible, it's damn close. I'd bet you couldn't find a single intake, including the stock box, that will get you 0 everytime, on every car. This is why it makes CORRECTIONS. While i'm not a GM engineer or claim to know EVERYTHING about FT's, if your MAF was reading +23 or something close, it would show up in the LTFT's. While it may not read out as the peak number, it will increase the average substantially. NOW, if you're WAY off, like in the -15- -30 correction, like some of the others, you'll get lean codes. This is not the case with the Halltech unit, or at least mine and everybody else that I know of. While I can't confirm or deny actual HP numbers, I can say that my unit has given me a noticeable increase in power.

I can assure you that you aren't being a guinea pig for this intake as there are several of us with this intake and NONE of us has had a single problem. That includes tuned, untuned, modded, unmodded, manuals, and autos. The install instructions, or lack of, do need to be addressed. I too called Jim to confirm one part of the install but the rest is pretty self explanatory. I do have a bit of experience modding cars but even the the totally inept shouldn't have a major problem with this. Hopefully Jim will update his install page to give a more precise installation process.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 03-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #33
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
This friend is in Memphis as he's one of the lead tuners for Hypertech. He came down to read the parameters specifically from my Halltech unit. He put his computer on the car, we cruised around, did a couple WOT runs, and buttoned it all back up. The car ran flawlessly and ALL numbers were dead on. While I don't have the actual graph that you're wanting to look at, I can say that he said all the correction numbers were as good as the stock box. For the record, the stock box can vary as much or more than a well designed CAI. -5 is not only NOT horrible, it's damn close. I'd bet you couldn't find a single intake, including the stock box, that will get you 0 everytime, on every car. This is why it makes CORRECTIONS. While i'm not a GM engineer or claim to know EVERYTHING about FT's, if your MAF was reading +23 or something close, it would show up in the LTFT's. While it may not read out as the peak number, it will increase the average substantially. NOW, if you're WAY off, like in the -15- -30 correction, like some of the others, you'll get lean codes. This is not the case with the Halltech unit, or at least mine and everybody else that I know of. While I can't confirm or deny actual HP numbers, I can say that my unit has given me a noticeable increase in power.

I can assure you that you aren't being a guinea pig for this intake as there are several of us with this intake and NONE of us has had a single problem. That includes tuned, untuned, modded, unmodded, manuals, and autos. The install instructions, or lack of, do need to be addressed. I too called Jim to confirm one part of the install but the rest is pretty self explanatory. I do have a bit of experience modding cars but even the the totally inept shouldn't have a major problem with this. Hopefully Jim will update his install page to give a more precise installation process.

Ok....not sure I could tell from the previous posts but it sounds like you are happy with the Halltech?

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on one in the next week or so....maybe in the next couple days. My car only has about 380 miles so I was going to wait to get it over the 500 mark first.

Can someone give me a hint or heads up as to what I should look for in the install that the instructions don't cover? Maybe I can take some video or at least some pics of how to handle the install if someone doesn't do it before hand.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #34
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Ok....not sure I could tell from the previous posts but it sounds like you are happy with the Halltech?

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on one in the next week or so....maybe in the next couple days. My car only has about 380 miles so I was going to wait to get it over the 500 mark first.

Can someone give me a hint or heads up as to what I should look for in the install that the instructions don't cover? Maybe I can take some video or at least some pics of how to handle the install if someone doesn't do it before hand.
Only hint I can provide is the hole in the heat shield where the tube goes through has an indention at the bottom for the MAF sensor mount to slide through. Do not try to force the tube through the hole. There is a rubber gasket around the hole, you can simply push it down around the indention area to slide the MAF mount through the heat shield.

Rest of the install is very intuitive.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #35
Halltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
I just installed my new Yellow Jacket. Wow! I mean Wow! Yes, it's that good.

I shopped around a lot before I made my decision. I'm a novice but I have a good eye for quality. Having spoken with several dealers of CAI's and their manufacturers I learned some good stuff. I also read a lot on this message board.

After speaking with Jim and hearing about his research and development--which means a lot considering his experience working with Corvettes--as well as his strong guarantee that the regular Yellow Jacket would not throw codes nor would it require a tune, and also the HP claims, I was sold.

I was somewhat disappointed in the instructions that are available for the install. It's all good, I was able to install it myself with a limited toolbox and about 14 years away from installing bolt-on mods. The install took me about 2 hours.

The fit is really tight and the parts are well-crafted. If there were better instructions, which might include some advice for certain phases of the install, and also numbered steps for how to proceed, the install could be completed by someone like myself in about 25-30 mins.

My only other mod is a Corsa catback. What a pair these two mods make. Wow!

Right when I turned on the car, it just bellowed out a monster growl that wasn't there before with just the Corsa. My Corsa system is loud and throaty now because of the Yellow Jacket. There's your proof, Jim. Love the sound!

I don't even care about HP numbers at the moment (I just had my car dynoed, it has really good numbers 336 HP/361 TQ, on a Mustang dyno, with just the Corsa on it), but I could tell immediately when I drove down my street that my car was faster now that I have the Yellow Jacket.

Then, I took it for a spin and in every RPM range my car had more pull.

I have the SS automatic, btw.

So, all in all, Halltech is the bomb. As long as no codes show up or check engine lights, I'll be stoked. And down the road I'll get another dyno to see what the increase was.

Thanks Halltech.
You are not alone. Axis has an automatic L99 as well. He was the first L99 with our intake and has pretty good reviews.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:47 AM   #36
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post

Yes, i'm EXTREMELY happy with my Yellowjacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Only hint I can provide is the hole in the heat shield where the tube goes through has an indention at the bottom for the MAF sensor mount to slide through. Do not try to force the tube through the hole. There is a rubber gasket around the hole, you can simply push it down around the indention area to slide the MAF mount through the heat shield.

Rest of the install is very intuitive.
This was easy for me, it was the PCV line that had me second guessing. If you look at the pic, on his site, it shows the supplied rubber hose from the intake to the OEM plastic tube. You have to cut the tube and push the rubber hose on it. Once I knew for sure that I had to cut the plastic line, I was fine. It's easy to figure out where. Just line everything up and cut to fit. Use the supplied white lube to get it on. It's a VERY tight fit but it's suppose to be so you don't have to use a clamp on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halltech View Post
You are not alone. Axis has an automatic L99 as well. He was the first L99 with our intake and has pretty good reviews.
FINALLY, I was the first at something, with my Camaro. I honestly didn't know I was the first A6 with your intake.

What's the prize???
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 03-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #37
Halltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Yes, i'm EXTREMELY happy with my Yellowjacket.

This was easy for me, it was the PCV line that had me second guessing. If you look at the pic, on his site, it shows the supplied rubber hose from the intake to the OEM plastic tube. You have to cut the tube and push the rubber hose on it. Once I knew for sure that I had to cut the plastic line, I was fine. It's easy to figure out where. Just line everything up and cut to fit. Use the supplied white lube to get it on. It's a VERY tight fit but it's suppose to be so you don't have to use a clamp on it.

FINALLY, I was the first at something, with my Camaro. I honestly didn't know I was the first A6 with your intake.

What's the prize???
I think you were the first with the Halltech on an A6 L99.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #38
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
Since installed, I have not done any tune and completly sastisified with the results.

I run a L99/A6 as well:

I like the color of your tube.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 03-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #39
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
Since installed, I have not done any tune and completly sastisified with the results.

I run a L99/A6 as well:

Great looking work you have there.

My question for you is, how did you get the front of the heat shield (the part that is closest to the radiator)to not have to fit under the lip of the front engine body? (*Please look at the picture directly above this paragraph for the circle that I drew around the part that I am describing). The front part of my heat shield fits under the lip that I'm describing. Basically the front of the heat shield in my car sticks underneath that front engine bay lip.

The reason it does that in my car is because in order to make the bolt, rubber grommet and washer line up and fit properly for the heat shield bracket, it forces my heat shield to sit farther forward toward the front of the engine bay than yours. And I know that's not right.

Because the front of my heat shield sits lower than yours, the bottom of the heat shield rests right on top of a metal hose line that sits just to the driver side of the radiator.

Either way, my intake is running well.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 03-10-2010 at 03:41 PM.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #40
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Ordered a Halltech today! After much research I decided it is the best product out there for the money. Can't wait for it to get here!
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #41
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halltech View Post
Nice talking with you today. Glad overall you are happy. Let me know if the hose clamp sorts out the filter not staying put issue.

It wasn't the hose clamp.

I think the issue was that the velocity stack needs to sit flush underneath and inside of the filter neck. As it is, you can push the velocity stack deep inside of the filter itself. There is nothing to stop it from going all the way into the filter. So, I lined up the velocity stack right underneath and inside of the filter neck and then I tightened the hose clamp up and it fits snug and doesn't move around anymore or look crooked.

Without instructions I can't be 100% sure I have the velocity stack inside of the filter properly. But this is my best guess so far.

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 03-02-2010 at 03:38 PM.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #42
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible

The more pics the better.

Halltech......would it be possible to have someone from your company take a video of the complete install procedure? I think this would help a lot of customers out and shouldn't take to long to put together.

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote