Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
motorhed

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM,2000 Grand Cherokee
Production Engine Options Discussion

Guys, i'm sure there are probably threads on this topic in one form or another but this is more or less a survey/discussion on peoples thoughts on the engine choices for year 1 of production. Here are my thoughts on the options that will be available at launch.

1.) Base Camaro V-6 offered with high-feature 3.6L DI
2.) Entry level V-8 (Z28) offered with non-modified LS3 (~430HP)
3.) Top line V-8 (SS) offered with modified LS3 with > 450hp.

Dont think GM will be crazy enough to put in the ZR-1 motor in the top gun, but i would LOVE to see the LS7 Z06 motor in the SS instead of the LS3 but these are still all hand assembled and a low production engine; not sure that would be feasible.

Given the weight that most believe this car will be at when launched, i think we will need to see at least the base V-8 from Corvette rather than the de-tuned LS3 from the G8 to hit the level of performance that GM is expecting with this vehicle. Top dog V-8 i think will be most interesting and surprising (i hope) at launch. We know the bar is already set high with the release of the V-6 info being DI.

Cant wait to see, indy coming soon.
motorhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
Chogan2200

Drives: 96 Cavalier "Scarlet"
for poor college kids like me.....V6 FTW!!!
Chogan2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
motorhed

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM,2000 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chogan2200 View Post
for poor college kids like me.....V6 FTW!!!
I've been saving for about 2 years, it's going to be a summer only driver for me so i'm going top dog.
motorhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhed View Post
Guys, i'm sure there are probably threads on this topic in one form or another but this is more or less a survey/discussion on peoples thoughts on the engine choices for year 1 of production. Here are my thoughts on the options that will be available at launch.

1.) Base Camaro V-6 offered with high-feature 3.6L DI
2.) Entry level V-8 (Z28) offered with non-modified LS3 (~430HP)
3.) Top line V-8 (SS) offered with modified LS3 with > 450hp.

Dont think GM will be crazy enough to put in the ZR-1 motor in the top gun, but i would LOVE to see the LS7 Z06 motor in the SS instead of the LS3 but these are still all hand assembled and a low production engine; not sure that would be feasible.

Given the weight that most believe this car will be at when launched, i think we will need to see at least the base V-8 from Corvette rather than the de-tuned LS3 from the G8 to hit the level of performance that GM is expecting with this vehicle. Top dog V-8 i think will be most interesting and surprising (i hope) at launch. We know the bar is already set high with the release of the V-6 info being DI.

Cant wait to see, indy coming soon.

first out the door,

base model v-6 regular- 220 hp
RS model v-6 DI - 300 hp
SS model v-8 LS3- 400hp

next year, Z28 Model v-8 LS9- 600 hp

cus while SuperSport sounds better than Z28, the ranking is actually the reverse. Z28 is the top dog as far as the RPO codes go.

tho the 4th gens did only have the v-6 and z28 models to start with, they did have factory modified Z28s that were badged as SS's. but that was due to the part on GM only offering the base model and Z28 to start with.

but RS is the Z26 code
SS is the Z27 code
Z28 is the.... Z28 code
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
ToneyTone

Drives: 07' Sunburst Cobalt SS/SC
Even though I think they will put the regular 3.6L in as the base V-6 I agree that the top dog will step on the scene about a year after launch.
ToneyTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'm thinking something along these lines:

~280 hp 3.6L DI V6
~380 hp 6.0L L76 V8 -up tuned from the G8 GT
~500-550 hp 6.2L LSA V8 -from the CTS-V, possibly detuned.

I highly doubt that we would see a 430 hp engine coming in at the price GM needs for the base V8. I hope I'm wrong and that I'm 50 hp too low, but look at what the G8 does with its L76. Add a bit more power, take off a bit of weight and you have a car that will beat the SRT8's. Also, it has practically been confirmed that there will be a supercharged Camaro. And we have been told that the LS7 will not be used in the Camaro.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:49 PM   #7
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
CamaroSpike23
cus while SuperSport sounds better than Z28, the ranking is actually the reverse. Z28 is the top dog as far as the RPO codes go.

tho the 4th gens did only have the v-6 and z28 models to start with, they did have factory modified Z28s that were badged as SS's. but that was due to the part on GM only offering the base model and Z28 to start with.

but RS is the Z26 code
SS is the Z27 code
Z28 is the.... Z28 code

Does that mean that the Z71 is the top dog? oh wait there is the Z82 truck...
I do not know which should be the 'top', but in 1969 was a SS-396 or Z/28 302 superior/ Did it not depend on the purpose? Z/28 for curves-trans am racing, and 396 just flat out fast.

Z/28 is an identity to Camaro, I would not want to see it limited to a few 550 hp special production cars. I also like the SS but GM has put SS on 40 years worth of cars, as an upgrade, sometimes the only improvement were the letters S and S.

RS would be good for the 'premium' V6 or a base V8 if we get 3, like the
3.6 - Berlinetta----just kidding
LLT - LT (it did exist- 70s) check: Type LT for the years with no Z/28
L76 - RS
LS3 - Z/28
LSA/6/7/9 - SUPER Z

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Base - 4cyl, 6cyl, 8cyl (E-tec , LY7, LS3)
LT - Convenience Package on base cars
RS - Luxury/Appearance option for V6, V8 (CTS motor in V6)
SS - V8, upgrade suspension (CTS-V motor)
Z28 - Big Dog - V8, Nurburgring Suspension (CTS-V motor, stiff suspension)(69 Z28 was built for track)
1LE/B4C - Wolf in sheeps clothing/cop car (Z28 that looks like Base model)
ZL1 - Limited Production Top Dog (LS* 427 engine, better build only 69 of them in case they don't sell well. )

This is just my wish list, directions they could go with the car.

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 05-27-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:26 AM   #9
17ac

Drives: none yet
How are we even sure that there will be a top dog? Are we assuming this because the mustang lineup has a GT500?

When the bogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for the Chevy Camaro.

When pictures of the Chevy Camaro were shown in France, the French surrendered to the Chevy Camaro just to be on the safe side.

Google won't search for Chevy Camaro because it knows you don't find Chevy Camaros. Chevy Camaros find you.

The original title for "Alien vs. Predator" was "Alien vs. Predator vs. Chevy Camaro." It was cancelled in preproduction, because film execs knew no one would pay 9 bucks to see a movie 14 seconds long.
17ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:02 AM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17ac View Post
How are we even sure that there will be a top dog? Are we assuming this because the mustang lineup has a GT500?
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3202
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17ac View Post
Oh, believe me....there will be a top dog.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #12
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Oh, believe me....there will be a top dog.
idk...i'm not entirely convinced yet. the goat was neck and neck with the cobra, and i'm sure the 'maro will smoke the goat, so maybe gm will kill ford w/ a little less. already the v6 will be giving the stang gt a run for its money
smokn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokn' View Post
idk...i'm not entirely convinced yet.
There WILL be a "Top Dog".
Old 05-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokn' View Post
idk...i'm not entirely convinced yet. the goat was neck and neck with the cobra, and i'm sure the 'maro will smoke the goat, so maybe gm will kill ford w/ a little less. already the v6 will be giving the stang gt a run for its money
Please clarify this statement. Do you mean that a G8 was neck-and-neck with a GT500 Cobra? If so, I'd like the smack the person driving the Cobra because that thing runs like low to mid-12s with someone who knows who to drive.

I agree with most of what has been posted:

Base: D.I. V6 ~ 300
SS/Z28 LS3 ~ 400
Top Dawg LSA (detuned) ~ 525

Heck, to now, GM hasn't officially posted numbers for the LSA in the Caddy' so I'm sure they'll be between 550 and 600 horse, so I think that leaves the door open for Camaro to have around 525-550.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote