Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-18-2016, 05:30 AM   #43
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Dangit. I wish my wife would have let me turbo mine....I had all the time in the world over the winter.

But she wants a house :-/
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:22 AM   #44
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Those turbos DO sit high! Definitely a tight fit looks like. Are they high enough up to not have to run a scavenge pump.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #45
Centerforce_Clutches

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Builds coming along! What size GTX's did you go with?
Centerforce_Clutches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #46
djcolopi

Drives: @orange_maro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
Those turbos DO sit high! Definitely a tight fit looks like. Are they high enough up to not have to run a scavenge pump.
Yes, they are positioned so I do not have to run an oil scavenge pump; instead they are drained by gravity.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:37 PM   #47
djcolopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerforce_Clutches View Post
Builds coming along! What size GTX's did you go with?
GTX2863R; I will potentially upgrade later on to GT30's. However, by the end of this year I will be upgrading my drivetrain (ss rear swap) and going with BMR for my suspension. Next year I will be forging my internals and working with Justin and Will on a secondary fuel setup and a few other guys in the LFX community on swapping in a new transmission; 6L80E or a 4L80E.

Last edited by djcolopi; 02-03-2017 at 06:50 PM.
djcolopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #48
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcolopi View Post
Yes, they are positioned so I do not have to run an oil scavenge pump; instead they are drained by gravity.
That will be nice. That's one thing I hate is always worrying about my scavenge pump.

I can't believe you're doing all this to your ONLY car... You need to spend $1K and buy you a beater.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #49
camrytt

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I love everything about it. Really interested in the turbo set up, the GTX2863R is so much cheaper than anything else I've seen. Like almost attainable for me.

Current: 2017 ZL1 A10
previous: 2019 1SS A10
previous: '14 L99, CAI intake, vmax ported tb, e85 kit, stage 2 cnc heads, speed engineering long tubes, custom high flows, resonated x pipe, muffler delete, qtp cut outs, gpi ss3 vvt Cam, zl1 pump and injectors, fti triple disc, mayhem motorsports trans cooler and tune, ngk spark plugs +red msd wires, 3.91 gears.
Past: '12 LFX, full bolt ons + E85, 302hp/267tq
camrytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:15 PM   #50
djcolopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrytt View Post
I love everything about it. Really interested in the turbo set up, the GTX2863R is so much cheaper than anything else I've seen. Like almost attainable for me.
The GTX2863R cost an additional $524 as an upgrade from the Journal Bearing GT28; so upgrading to the GTX2863R's cost me an additional $1048.00.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #51
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Damn, I am loving this thread. I'm not too far from MD myself, will love to see the numbers and wonder if your shop will consider going into production for that type of kit and the $ involved, compared to the other option for our cars.

Car looks great!

ChibiBlackSheep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:01 PM   #52
djcolopi

Who has twin intakes?
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #53
djcolopi

The turboflex coupling w/interlock liner from vibrant performance has been installed
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #54
djcolopi

The oil and water coolant lines have been installed. Now I just need the boost line and gauge installed. Then Inferno will be tuned and dynoed.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2016, 08:27 PM   #55
djcolopi

Sorry everyone, they were having trouble uploading hp tuners so now I will have to wait until Monday. Hopefully, HP tuners will contact my shop right away and progress can get back under way. 12 weeks and counting!
Old 04-15-2016, 03:07 PM   #56
djcolopi

Still working out some last minute bugs. We ran into a bit of a delema because of how efficient this turbo setup is in this configuration. It spools so easily that the standard Garrett internal wastegate opening can't bleed boost fast enough and we are getting boost creep. So it spools right up to 12psi at the start of the run but as the rpm's go up the boost starts to climb as well and we need to have control of the boost levels for obvious reasons.

Of all problems that we could have it's not a bad one because it shows the setup will be amazing when the bugs are ironed out. Unfortunately this means a delay.

JE will be pulling the turbo's off and porting the opening for the internal gate as a first attempt at solving this problem. Obviously adding some back pressure via high flow cats would solve the problem and be the quick fix but we want to maintain this free flow setup if possible so will try this first.

This is a very common issue with many OEM turbo cars like the mazda speeds and subaru's when you do cat deletes and 3" exhaust setups. Very low back pressure can make these cars creep as well.

If this mod works we will be back in action soon. If it still creeps we may end up needing larger external waste gate setups vs the standard Garrett internal type.

With a bunch of dyno time at this point the gravity drains on the turbo are working flawlessly so that's great news. Amazing how clean and tidy this turbo kit is and how well it fits. Seems like it's OEM!

Still can't get over how ridiculously fast it spools up!

Oh, and for those that are eager to join the gravity feed twin turbo club and not deal with the scavenge pump setup JE said they will be willing to do a limited run on a made to order basis but will require them to be installed at the shop only. Eventually they would be able to build jigs and mass produce so it would be available for order and install anywhere. For now your going to need to go to Maryland to get it! Hit them up for more info if your interested. sales@jeimportperformance.com